Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:35 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,003 times

Advertisements

My kid will be moving to SLC shortly to attend college and will be in the Sugar House area.

She is hoping that there might be a good Jewish deli/restaurant in SLC where she can get some of her favorites, like matzo ball soup.

Any ideas or recommendation? Is there any "Jewish" area of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
There is currently really only ONE, and fortunately for you they happen to be right in Sugarhouse area. They have good matzoh ball soup along with decent bagels and pastrami and more. It's not like Chicago and New York, but it's a lot better than what we had before they came along a year ago. You'll have to check them out. The are at 2005 E 2700 S just East of Sugarhouse. I'm originally from Chicago and happen to be Jewish so I kind of have a clue about this stuff: The large Jewish population in Salt Lake is typically along the East just below and mostly above Foothill Blvd from around 1300 S. to 2100 S. Kol Ammi is a mostly Reformed congregation that many seem to belong to. There is a large JCC they operate off of Foothill Blvd area as well with various functions. D

Old 12-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Thanks so much dcisive!

She is culturally Jewish, and will be missing the special dishes I make that I learned from my mother-in-law.

We will check out the deli next week. What's the name of it?

Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
There is also one on 11th East, between 2100 South and I think 1700 South, can't think of the name but it's across from Chabad Lubovitch (spelling?).

Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 AM

Belle, you are referring to "Kosher on the go" but that is more so "kosher style" than the real thing. I've tried a few of their limited item menu and it wasn't very good at all. The Challah (bread) wasn't great, in fact the Challah from Harmon's is the best I've tasted so far. As for the corned beef it was a no go. So all in all I'd say Feldman's remains the ONLY REAL option.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Belle, you are referring to "Kosher on the go" but that is more so "kosher style" than the real thing. I've tried a few of their limited item menu and it wasn't very good at all. The Challah (bread) wasn't great, in fact the Challah from Harmon's is the best I've tasted so far. As for the corned beef it was a no go. So all in all I'd say Feldman's remains the ONLY REAL option.
What's that?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:44 PM

"Kosher Style" would be having the "appearance" of food of a given type, but NOT being "authentic". Technically speaking true Kosher food is not only blessed by a certified Rabbi, but it has been prepared in a manner appropriate to be considered Kosher, as in the animal in which the meat came from had to be killed in a way so as to properly drain the blood from the tissue in accordance with the scripture (Jews are NOT to consume the blood of the animal). Often this requires a process whereby salt is utilized to draw the blood out of the tissue. Kosher food is healthier for the body so it would come as no surprise I think. Also there is no consumption of either shellfish nor pork and certain foul as well due to the fact they are not considered food according to the Torah (Leviticus). Before you go "what a drag" let me also explain that shellfish (especially shrimp, scallops and crawdads)are often known as the cocoroaches of the sea. They eat all dead things and contaminants, hence then YOU eat that garbage they ate. Yum Pork is perhaps well associated with being the most poisonous and contaminated flesh there is. They have no sweat glands and they are also scavengers eating anything and all things dead and alive, which is stored in their tissues and are well known carriers of worms and many parasites that infest partakers of their flesh (check out Youtube for the videos of worms in peoples brains from having eaten pork)........and well.....many people eat them So there you have it....likely more info than you wanted

Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks all!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
"Kosher Style" would be having the "appearance" of food of a given type, but NOT being "authentic". >>>snip<<< So there you have it....likely more info than you wanted
Thanks, very detailed indeed, though I do know what Kosher is/means - all my partners are Jewish, a couple of them keep Kosher and I'm in NY, the mother ship for that stuff - though others here may be familiar with it.

Anyway, I guess my question is more along the lines of whether a pastrami on rye or matzoball soup at the SLC "kosher style" place is comparable to the same things at the real Kosher place? In NY you can pretty much count on that stuff at a Greek (owned) diner being as good as at a real Kosher deli. Whether it's actually Kosher or not I have no idea.

[And speaking of kosherness.... This morning I enjoyed a kosher babka with my coffee! Delicious!]

Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 PM

You're killing me. Growing up in Chicago they had wonderful Kosher deli's all over the place, and not only was it the real deal, the quality and portions were superb. In New York you are just plain spoiled. There isn't a deli in the universe that can come close to The Carnagie and Katz's Deli's. I'm seriously thinking of having Katz's FedX me a couple of sandwiches soon. I'm getting a taste for some things only they can provide. It's a small fortune to order by mail but it will be an experience to be sure. They pack it and get it all to you the next day on dry ice. The bad news is a $12 sandwich ends up costing you 2.5 times that. Still I'm tempted to give it a try just for the taste of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area