Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,772 times

Advertisements

My neighbor likes to park his pickup next to my driveway (sometimes obstructing it by an inch or two), thus making it very difficult to get in and out. Additionally, he is far enough over that his right front tire is usually parked on my lawn, thus flattening and eventually killing the grass. I know my rights in that I can report him for not parking at least 5 feet from a private driveway as well as parking on the lawn, but that's a last resort if I can't get him to stop on my own.

So my question is, based on the laws (in Holladay), is it illegal to put either a cone or small rock (that doesn't disrupt water flow) in the gutter right at the property borderline (just before my lawn gives way to his) in order to prevent him or anyone else from parking too close to my driveway? I can't find anything online covering this topic, and I can't imagine it would be illegal, seeing as how there is still room to park...he would just have to park completely in front of his own house rather than pulling forward and obstructing my strip of lawn/part of my driveway. I tried it once and he flipped out, saying I can't put things like that on public property.

Are there any links that state one way or the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 05:06 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpn27 View Post
My neighbor likes to park his pickup next to my driveway (sometimes obstructing it by an inch or two), thus making it very difficult to get in and out. Additionally, he is far enough over that his right front tire is usually parked on my lawn, thus flattening and eventually killing the grass. I know my rights in that I can report him for not parking at least 5 feet from a private driveway as well as parking on the lawn, but that's a last resort if I can't get him to stop on my own.

So my question is, based on the laws (in Holladay), is it illegal to put either a cone or small rock (that doesn't disrupt water flow) in the gutter right at the property borderline (just before my lawn gives way to his) in order to prevent him or anyone else from parking too close to my driveway? I can't find anything online covering this topic, and I can't imagine it would be illegal, seeing as how there is still room to park...he would just have to park completely in front of his own house rather than pulling forward and obstructing my strip of lawn/part of my driveway. I tried it once and he flipped out, saying I can't put things like that on public property.

Are there any links that state one way or the other?
One question. Have you even tried talking to him?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:18 PM

That's irrelevant to what I asked. I initially just put a rock in the gutter in front of my property because he and other cars were constantly parked there. I just moved in and did not know who the other cars belonged to, if it was their visitors, or other neighbors, and therefore had no person to single out and confront. And since he or anyone else can still park there, just not pull as far forward or on my lawn, I didn't think it had any real impact other than clearing my blind spots when I back out. But obviously it hit a nerve and he came after me. Was not expected, otherwise I would have warned him first.

The whole situation just made me curious about putting stuff in the gutter to prevent people driving on your lawn, so that's the only answer I am looking for here.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:41 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpn27 View Post
That's irrelevant to what I asked.
To me, it seems totally relevant. You want to solve a problem and you came up with two possible solutions. I mentioned a third one.

Quote:
The whole situation just made me curious about putting stuff in the gutter to prevent people driving on your lawn, so that's the only answer I am looking for here.
Calm down. You can probably put "stuff" in your gutter if it makes you happy. Most people in Holladay probably wouldn't find your "stuff in the gutter" very attractive, but it's probably not illegal. If it is, though, your neighbor may report you. Then the police can get involved and you'll both be happy.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
To me, it seems totally relevant. You want to solve a problem and you came up with two possible solutions. I mentioned a third one.
That is definitely an option to solve it with the neighbor and I never said it wasn't. Who says we haven't talked? I never answered your question either way. I can safely say the issue with that particular neighbor is on its way to being resolved. The main issue is moving forward with the 5-6 other cars that park there (the owners of which are unknown). I was just curious to see what the legality of it was so it could be a temporary solution until I can re-landscape that part of the lawn to make it difficult to park on.

Quote:
You can probably put "stuff" in your gutter if it makes you happy. Most people in Holladay probably wouldn't find your "stuff in the gutter" very attractive,
I figure putting a small rock (or even a bright orange cone) is better than tire marks on the lawn. Feel free to disagree.

Quote:
but it's probably not illegal. If it is, though, your neighbor may report you.
Thanks for putting thorough research into my question!

Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
virtually ever city I've EVER known of had an ordinance in place preventing a vehicle parking within 6 feet of a driveway. Check it out. I'm pretty sure Holladay is not an exception. A ticked place on that vehicle will be a significant deterrent to a repeat offense.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
virtually ever city
Not in Utah ...

Here it is listed as *in front of* !

Meaning no part of the vehicle can be *in* the driveway !

Notify police and they should issue a citation ?

Parking on your grass ?
No idea what to do about that, except for adding huge decorative rocks on it, the whole length of *your property*.
There is a home at the end of our street who has done that since they are living next to a park !

Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
These would work:

Old 03-04-2016, 08:59 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
@Irman. uh don't try that stuff in Herriman or you'll get towed away I'm happy to say. Nobody in my neighborhood does that crap. There IS an ordinance for it. When I lived in East Millcreek it was much the same. 6ft leeway from bumper to edge of a driveway.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
@Irman. uh don't try that stuff in Herriman or you'll get towed away I'm happy to say. Nobody in my neighborhood does that crap. There IS an ordinance for it. When I lived in East Millcreek it was much the same. 6ft leeway from bumper to edge of a driveway.
I could not find that minimum distance away from the edge of *your* driveway, But if so, than I suggest, get the facts, meaning NOT hearsay, but the real source and facts and then notify the police. They WILL have to do something about that ...

You seem to know the source where that minimum distance is noted, so can you show me where to get that info. I only found minimum distances for fire houses etc, but none for private residences ...

Examples:
====
Chapter 9.31 Parking Regulations.
Nothing here ...

Utah Parking Laws - Cars | Laws.com
Nothing here ...

http://exe.orem.org/citycode/Chap_19.pdf
Nothing here ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: