Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 AM

40 posts, read 191,064 times

Advertisements

Hi, We just moved to the Riverton/S. Jordan area from VA. I would appreciate any suggestions or referrals for activities for my 12 yr. old girl, she is bored to death. Unfortunately we arrived too late to register for soccer or softball (both things she would have really enjoyed)...and I am scouring the internet to try and find some type of civic club and/or other sporting activity/team, drama club...anything . Unlike her school in VA there doesn't seem to be any type of sport or extra curricular activities for this grade (7th) through the school...ugh.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

While we are at it...I'm trying to find a good place to play tennis w/o joining a country club. In VA, we had groups who would get together and rent indoor court space for the winter...is that available here?

Thanks much,
Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times
Hi there and welcome to Utah! Try Utah Drama Acting School | Musical Theatre Academy Up With Kids. It is a drama type club that puts on plays each year. They are all family friendly shows and everyone gets a part. There is no trying out involved. It looks like there is a location in SJ at the fitness center at 10300 S Redwood Rd.

There should be registrations for Jr. Jazz basketball coming up soon, if she is interested in that.

Girl Scouts?

As far as tennis goes, I know around our neighborhood, we have oodles of tennis courts to use. Just grab a couple of friends and your racquet and off you go.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Thanks

That all sounds great. I'll look in to the drama and definitely Jr. Jazz Bball. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM

Glad to help. I have an 11 year old daughter, so I certainly know about finding something to keep them busy! She has just stopped competing in gymnastics, so she has lots of idle time that she has never had before, and I am finding that I have to find things to keep that idle mind busy.

Hope she finds something she likes to do.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:06 AM

9 posts, read 37,497 times
Default activities

We have been here a year and we live in West Jordan. I enrolled my now 11 year old in cheer and gymnastics at the Gene Fulmer Fitness and Rec center. They have a variety of programs for tweenagers. There is JR Jazz basketball in the late fall / early winter. I know the park in West Jordan has 2 tennis courts. The park is behind the West Jordan City Hall. WJ City Hall is on Redwood Road and about 78th. Hope this helps. I understand your dilemma we are still trying to make friends and entertain ourselves even after a year.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks okiegirl and katyidid! I will check out the tennis at W and S Jordan. We ended signing my daughter up for club soccer. More $$ than rec league, but we decided it would be worth it. We also plan to get her in to a Jr. Jazz basketball, that is one of her favorite sports. It is so difficult finding our niche in a new place.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:20 AM

It IS hard, I know. We relocated from the east coast 13 years ago. It was rough going for a while. Luckily, we didn't have kids then, so that made it a little easier.

Just keep busy and you will find your niche in no time!

I am glad you found some things for your daughter to do. It is important that they keep busy and find some new friends too!

Good luck and glad to have you here!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 AM

56 posts, read 213,099 times
Default send her

climbing. Theres a bunch of rock climbing gyms in this area. They have kids programs and she sounds like shes old enough once she takes a lesson you can just drop her off and she can be on her own for a few hours. Theres always kids of that age climbing when I go there. They make friends together push each other and I think its a great way for them to stay in shape and have fun at the same time. I really wish my parents were able to get me into something like that when I was that age. For winter look around ....skiing. Alta offers an hour and a half free ski after 3 in the winter if you've never done it or want to see if you'd like it. Theres tons of rad opportunities in the area for kids besides piano or soccer.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM

I had never thought of the climbing. That does sound like a great option, esp. the staying in shape part. Do you have any names of gyms/clubs that offer this?
We do hope to get involved in skiing/snowboarding when the season gets here. Someone told us that they can sign up for after-school trips through the school that include a lesson(s).

Thanks for all suggestions!
Jan

Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 PM

347 posts, read 1,566,869 times
There's the new climbing gym next to REI at Southtown mall. It's really nice. I don't know what their rates are, though.
There's a really cool archery place on 7800 So and 1300 E. that offers lessons/clubs. Your daughter might like that.
Dance is really big here. There is a studio on every corner.
I have a 12 year old daughter too who pretty much just reads and draws and is content staying in her bedroom. She's wanting to do more skiing this year, though. That's not til Nov/Dec. Our 13 year old neighbor is on a swim team at Gene Fullmer. SHe adores it. It's just about every day, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area