Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,606 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have totally fallen in love with SLC and we are planning to move next year... however I just stumbled upon these boards and we are now very nervous about moving due to the fact that we are not Mormon. We have no problem with any religion and we are very accepting of others but some of these posts have us concerned that we will be shunned for not being Mormon.
Any opinions?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
This has been commented on in almost every post in this forum. Really, it is a non issue unless you are the ones that make it into one. My family has lived here for 20 years. We are non Mormon and have raised both our daughters here. Both of them have LDS and non LDS friends. Our next door neighbors are LDS and are amazing. If anyone gives you crap, it is because they are jerky people. Their religion has no bearing on it. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
I personally would not discourage anyone who has "fallen in love with SLC" not to move here. But since I'm LDS myself, my opinion may not be a valuable to you as the opinions of non-Mormons who have moved here, and that's understandable. If you do decide to move here, you might want to check out the Lowdown on us Mormons thread for some information that will help you adjust to life here. Good luck in our decision! I hope to see you back here on this forum sometime soon, having made the move, and reassuring people who have the same fears as you do right now that Salt Lake is a great place to live.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 PM

Thank you for your replies... while continuing our research we are now reading about a lot of gang activity in SLC & surrounding areas.. any opinions on this?
Thanks again

Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,198 times
I don't know where you're reading, but gang activity---compared to most any other city this size---is practically nonexistent in SLC. Occasionally there's a gang-related crime in Glendale or something, but it's pretty rare. SLC overall is extremely safe and there's no place in town I'd worry about walking late at night---even in Glendale.

And, as the others have said, you'll be just fine as non-Mormons, particularly if you live within SLC proper and not in a suburb. SLC itself is only ~40% LDS, and many of those are "inactive" (kind of like being a lapsed Catholic) or liberal urbanites.

Also, this thread might get more responses in the Salt Lake forum; maybe a mod can move it?

Last edited by CCSLC; 01-29-2014 at 02:25 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM

Thank you very much Zionide we really appreciate the help and info

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
We moved from Jersey, about an hour from Philly and Camden. I laugh when people talk about "gangs" here. Yeah...no. Wannabes, sure. Fear for my life, gangs? No, not so much.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times
Just because you don't see it does not mean it does not happen. There is definatly gang activity in a Utah and it is growing. Growing out of Ogden and Salt Lake into other areas. Speak to the gang unit and you will be more cautious.

Yes many of those kids are wannabes. But many of them start getting involved selling drugs and get deeper into the gang scene. It is a problem in the whole country though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: