Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:21 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of helpful info in these threads but I was hoping to get some input about my particular circumstances. I have never been to SLC & will be coming to check it out in Feb. I am 95% sure I will be moving out next summer. From all the research I have done so far, it seems like a perfect place for me. I am a huge outdoor rec. and winter sports enthusiast, and have been dying to move out west for many years.

I am wondering what areas people would recommend I check out. I am a very "young", hip 40 something & would be happy around people in their 20's & 30's as well. So far I am thinking possibly of Sandy or the Sugarhouse or Avenues areas in SLC. Park City would be my ideal, but I think it might be too expensive & I will probably find more job prospects in SLC. (I am a clinical social worker/ therapist). Proximity to skiing/mountains is a big plus. In considering areas, I am hoping to rent a 2-3 BR large apartment or ideally condo or townhouse, max about $1100/mo. Are there any other towns or areas I should check out where I might find this type of housing? How about Cottonwood, Holladay, Midvale, Draper? How would Sandy area compare to Sugarhouse price wise?

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM

55 posts, read 256,563 times
Stay in SLC. You'll enjoy Sugar House and the downtown area the most. You should be able to find a reasonable apartment near downtown.

Layton is also nice and has a lot of Hill AFB, civilian and non-civilian and many singles around town.

Skip Park City. Expensive and super overrated. It is nice to shop, visit and ski there, but its pricey.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:48 AM

Thanks! I will definitely check out those areas. I am not really used to being right in the city - have always lived in the suburbs, so I may not be as comfortable in the down town areas (Sugarhouse, etc.). How "urban" looking are those areas? Tall buildings or is it pretty residential?

I was also wondering about Sandy. I would imagine Sandy is a bit cheaper, and the proximity to the mountains would be nice. Would this be a decent town for a single person or is it more families? One other question, can anyone tell me is Sandy also closer to Park City ski areas, or is it just closer to the Cottonwood areas? I am most interested in proximity to park City, and it's hard to tell looking at a map...

Thanks so much!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Sandy is mostly families I think. Sugarhouse doesn't have any big tall buildings like downtown has. It has some trendy neighborhoods. I think the Sugarhouse area might put you closer to Interestate 80 which is what you would drive to get to Park City. Sandy would put your closer to the Cottonwood canyons. I rarely go up either canyon so I probably wouldn't be the person to ask.

Either way, I don't think it would increase your drive by more than 20 minutes.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Sugar house is full of 1940's houses and nice tree-lined streets. It's not really urban feeling.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:13 PM

111 posts, read 626,056 times
Since you're accustomed to "suburban" living, I would think Sugarhouse would be a really nice fit for you...like Coolcats said, it's not high-rise downtown buildings like in downtown LA or NY...it's a very charming community with very cute homes and mature trees.

If I was single or newly married with no kids, I would LOVE to live in Sugarhouse.

Shopping is very close by (very cool boutique type shops as well as major chain stores close by) and it's right there by the I-80 to get you to Park City.

I agree, I think Sandy is mostly families (as is Draper and Holladay)

Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks so much, everyone! I will definitely check out Sugarhouse - it sounds like it might be perfect for me.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
Exclamation I felt it necessary to mention

that although Salt Lake proper is not heavily LDS, the Mormon influence is not entirely possible to escape, irregardless of what people say. I am 37 & childless and have been subtly harassed all over town, including the much ballyhooed Sugar House. The Mormons do have a distinct prejudice against unmarried childless females because it goes against some belief they have about eternal families and the great plan of life, etc. They are not big on championing other people's rights and freedoms. I would encourage you to dress up and look nice everywhere you go, at all times, and be prepared to put up with disapproving reactions, especially if you dare to go places by yourself. You may be harassed and accused as being a lesbian, even if you are in fact very straight. The suspicion the Mormons have towards unmarried older females is extreme and it does pervade all areas of town, not just the suburbs. I have dealt with this continually everywhere I've gone and it never ceases to amaze me the way people in Utah treat total strangers. I moved here in the midst of a mid life crisis at age 34 and have gone through a series of life changing experiences that are causing me to want to be by myself most of the time. Your experience of Utah may be very different and I genuinely hope it is. I have not found my niche here and have found the social issues very hard to deal with. If you at all value your privacy or are a natural loner do not move to Utah.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 AM

21 posts, read 94,498 times
I agree with the general concensus, Sugar House sounds like it is right up your alley. I don't ski/snowboard but my boyfriend is consumed by it in the winter and I have heard him talk about access to Park City by riding his snowboard from the backside of one of the Salt Lake resorts. I don't know if that kind of skiing interests you but just a thought. He has made so many great friends on the mountain. It is definetly a great social scene and it sounds like you'll fit in well up there.

Last edited by jollygirl; 12-11-2007 at 05:19 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
that although Salt Lake proper is not heavily LDS, the Mormon influence is not entirely possible to escape, irregardless of what people say. I am 37 & childless and have been subtly harassed all over town, including the much ballyhooed Sugar House. The Mormons do have a distinct prejudice against unmarried childless females because it goes against some belief they have about eternal families and the great plan of life, etc. They are not big on championing other people's rights and freedoms. I would encourage you to dress up and look nice everywhere you go, at all times, and be prepared to put up with disapproving reactions, especially if you dare to go places by yourself. You may be harassed and accused as being a lesbian, even if you are in fact very straight. The suspicion the Mormons have towards unmarried older females is extreme and it does pervade all areas of town, not just the suburbs. I have dealt with this continually everywhere I've gone and it never ceases to amaze me the way people in Utah treat total strangers. I moved here in the midst of a mid life crisis at age 34 and have gone through a series of life changing experiences that are causing me to want to be by myself most of the time. Your experience of Utah may be very different and I genuinely hope it is. I have not found my niche here and have found the social issues very hard to deal with. If you at all value your privacy or are a natural loner do not move to Utah.
Interesting - thanks for this persepctive. I have heard this before, and I am wondering, if you are out and about, how do they even know you are single? Hubby and kids could be waiting at home, right? (should I wear a fake ring? lol) Around here even married women with kids are commonly seen out on their own, doing things without their family. Or is it more so with people you actually meet, and they find out you are single and then disassociate from you? This is fascinating to me. I have a pretty thick skin so if someone was rude to my face about it I'd probably tell them off! I live in jeans & sweatshirts - do people dress nicely to run errands? And although I'm not a lesbian, is homosexuality a big no-no for Mormons? My response would be, "go ahead and think what you want". It sounds like there will be challenges, but I am pretty good at not caring what people think.

The area where I live now is not judgemental like that but it is not a friendly area at all, lots of rudeness, people keep to themselves, and most people don't become friendly with their neighbors. I guess I've never found a niche here either - I have work friends & my boyfriend (but that's ending, which is why I am leaving). So it may not be much worse in that sense. My hope is that I will meet people with whom I share interests, such as photography and outdoor activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygirl View Post
I agree with the general concensus, Sugar House sounds like it is right up your alley. I don't ski/snowboard but my boyfriend is consumed by it in the winter and I have heard him talk about access to Park City by riding his snowboard from the backside of one of the Salt Lake resorts. I don't know if that kind of skiing interests you but just a thought. He has made so many great friends on the mountain. It is definetly a great social scene and it sounds like you'll fit in well up there.
I am a ski and snowboard nut as well! In the winter I will be spending nearly all of my time in the mountains. I am hoping to take a volunteer job (mountain host type of thing) at one of the ski resorts. I do this now in Killington, VT. So perhaps I can develop a social life with other skiiers., and I would imagine the Mormon issue will be fairly non-existent in that circle. If I wind up liking the area, but SLC is a problem, maybe I'll eventually move to Park City, and commute to SLC if need be.

Thank you both for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area