Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 23,079 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am moving from SF East Bay in Ca to the Salt Lake City area for work relocation. I currently own an 01 Jetta and I love the space and gas mileage and much more so I really would love to keep it! (and moving is stressful enough, I really don't want to deal with the hassle of selling my car if I really don't have to) However, I understand that the winters are very severe there and it snows heavily so I was wondering if I could last a winter or two with this car and some cables until I purchase and AWD? Obviously if I have to make the sacrifice right away I have no other choice, but what are your opinions/experiences?

Please only respond if you are going to be helpful, I don't need smart remarks or rude comments.
I really appreciate your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,529 times
You will have absolutely no problems if you have good winter tires and are a patient driver.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 23,079 times
Thank you so much! It's so great to hear that! Thankfully I am patient - All I need are new tires

Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgf88 View Post
I am moving from SF East Bay in Ca to the Salt Lake City area for work relocation.
When will you take the trip, and which route will you be taking ?
By going on I-80 going east, you*might* get a bit of snow or cold windy weather about halfway.

Get some good all-weather tires, if you need tires.
No need to buy winter rated tires -yet-,
but if you can afford it, invest in a good set of tire chains.
Gazillions of people here in Salt Lake City do NOT use winter tires !

If you have a Les Schwab in your area, then go there, and inquire about the deal they have for tire chains.
They have a deal where you can buy a set, but if you did not use them all winter long, you can return them in the spring when there is no more snow !
If you decide to do this, then make sure they show you how to install them, and have them check you, so that you do know how to do it !!!

By the way, the winters here are really not that *severe*, and when it snows, it is actually not that bad. !! Also, what do you mean with *some cables* ??? Your spare tire in good condition ?

Last but not least, do have a good check up on your car, change the oil and then just pack up and go.
If you encounter snow, then just slow down and keep going.
The Jetta was produced in a country that gets a lot more snow than you will see in Salt Lake City !!!

Have a great trip, try to make it a two day trip, and welcome to Utah !

Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,853 times
One of my last cars was a TDI Jetta. It was outstanding in the snow.

Bill

Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I've seen Jettas around here. My niece used to have one, my co-worker's 24 year old son has one and another co-worker just bought one last week. Don't know how they are in the snow, but they are a fairly common car here in Salt Lake valley. I'm told they're front wheel drive so like others have stated, get good tires and drive cautiously until your get a feel for how to handle your car.

There are bad storms where snow plows can't keep up with the fallen snow. But as a native Utahn, I think they do a really good job keeping our roads cleared for the most part.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
After my front-wheel drive Honda Accord with all-weather tires and ABS skidded in snow/ice, I bought a Subaru with AWD. There's a good reason people joke that it's the "national car" of Utah.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:00 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Well - as we discussed on another thread, AWD does not help or hurt as far as breaking goes.

Back to the OP - Jetta will do just fine. I personally would recommend snow tires in the winters, as opposed to the all-weather tires. Now, they do help with breaking as well as traction. I do not know what standard width of tires is on Jetta - but you might want to narrower snow tires. You would not have problems. We have a VW Golf GTI - and it does quite well with snow tires on it, and we do live up on the East benches. The few times we have had issues, I have regretted not having narrower set of winter tires.

For your next car - indeed AWD and high clearance are desirable. Whether that is Subaru or another - that's up to you. But - unless you decide to live in some very challenging location (and there are some here) - there is definitely no need to change your car.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM

85 posts, read 289,658 times
I drive a Mazda3 in Park City, and have mostly been fine (except clearance if nothing has been plowed). I agree with Kavm's suggestion of snow tires - I was used to winter driving on all-season tires before moving here, but was so surprised at how much of a difference snow tires can make. It takes a lot of effort for me to even slide around just a little. If you're not experienced driving in the snow, they might give you a bit more confidence. Sometimes you can get good deals on slightly used snow tires on websites like KSL (if someone happens to have your exact size for sale), and I got mine pretty cheap at Walmart. It can at least hold you over for a bit until you buy a new car.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I personally would recommend snow tires in the winters,
Agree, but it is March now and she did not say exactly when she would be coming here, so she probably need good all weathers first.
Never say never, so I suggested to get a set of chains from Les Schwab !
For *Justin Case* - just for this trip !

I am more concerned about her statement about *needing cables* ???
Quote:
a winter or two with this car and some cables
Quote:
Thank you so much! It's so great to hear that! Thankfully I am patient - All I need are new tires
She did mention getting *new tires*, but getting winter tires for *this* trip ... ?

After this summer, then she can get an AWD plus winter tires !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area