U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 31,068 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow forumers!
I have a few specific questions regarding an impending relocation to SLC that I have not been able to find answers for yet on here; hoping for some information from the pros

My husband is about to accept a position located in Woods Cross. We are excited to move to the area, but would like input. Keeping in mind he would prefer a commute time of less than 20 minutes one-way, which areas are good ones to live in? We would be looking to rent a single family home. It is just the two of us, we are in our 20's, and our dog. That being said, I have been recommended the Sugar House area. We are trying to keep our monthly rent under 1,500, so that area seems a little pricey for this range. I would like to open up our target area, hoping for some lower price tags, but still remain within that 20 minute commute time.

We are also very active, and proximity to a park or a trail system would be ideal. We are coming from Anchorage, AK where pretty much every neighborhood in the city is within 1 or 2 minutes of trailhead access. I have looked online for trail information in SLC, but am having a hard time finding information. So, while not imperative, it would be nice to be close to recreational opportunities.

Also, there seem to not be a ton of rentals listed on craigslist. Does anyone have recommendations for property management companies in SLC that rent single family homes? Any information you tried-and-true SLCers can provide us with would be so much appreciated! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 AM

19,859 posts, read 61,482,187 times
Ksltv.com has listings and is widely used.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,465 times
They don't really use Craiglist here. Go to KSL.com, that's local online classified everyone uses. I moved here in July from DC. Sugarhouse is great also check out the Avenues. The lower avenues has small houses that might be in your price range. I live in the Upper Avenues its close to the Bonneville Shoreline trail and City a creek Canyon. There is tons of hiking here and it's all close. Short drives. Everyone has there dogs in their car going somewhere to hike or bike. You will learn once your here. Since your young I think you should live in the city and your hubby can drive to Woods Cross. It could be 30 mins but its nothing like driving in high traffic like CA or DC. I was never an outdoor person but now I am. I love it here. Doesn't the company your husband works for provide relocation information? Check out the Capitol Hill Area too. I can look around at for rent signs to get you names of management companies if you want.

Last edited by Eastcoastdc; 03-07-2014 at 06:37 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM

120 posts, read 158,955 times
Consider the East Millcreek / Canyon Rim areas. I honestly don't know what rent is but would guess a little less than Sugarhouse. Very close to trails at Millcreek canyon and Neffs canyon and just a couple minutes drive to the Cottonwod canyons. I make the same commute and it takes me 20 minutes exactly, but I do leave early before peak traffic.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 PM

1,787 posts, read 2,200,342 times
I'm not usually a huge fan of Davis County, but if your husband is going to be working in Woods Cross it would seem silly not to live right there in the residential areas that should have plenty of nice places for under $1500/mo. to rent. Move to Bountiful. It will be a freeway-free 10 minute commute to just about anywhere in Woods Cross.

That being said you'll make more friends in Sugar House. Most who are in their 20's in Bountiful either still live at home or have 3 kids. It's purely a bedroom community. In Sugar House you'll find a much more hip, liberal and modern community, but it's more expensive. However if you aren't picky I was renting a 4BR 1.75BA place, with a huge yard, in Sugar House for $1000/mo (split between 4 of us, so only $250 for me). It hadn't been updated since 1960 and the decades old furnace wouldn't warm the poorly insulated home up past 65 degrees in the winter, but for the price I couldn't say no. Lots of older homes. There are tons that haven't been well maintained that you can rent for much less than the nice ones.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,941,388 times
I am a Davis county fan; we just moved from Centerville to Syracuse and have been in Davis for about 8 years.

I like the area but we also have 3 kids; it's VERY kid-friendly around here but I can see it stop being fun for a childless couple. It is evolving to be more interesting over time; Station Park in Farmington is a really classy shopping destination and the area (especially around Layton) is far more diverse than the standard "White,Mormon, herd of kids suburban template" that is so common here in Utah, thanks to the Air Force Base.

Virtually anywhere in Davis County would be a maximum 20 min commute to Woods Cross. You can find decent houses in the area for rent for around $1000-1400 too. It might be worth a look, anyway.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,563,118 times
If you do decide to live in SLC (Sugarhouse or the Avenues might be nice, for it's proximity to downtown), then your commute won't be bad. You'll be going against traffic for the most part. I used to commute up to Layton from the Sugarhouse area two-three times a week, and it was never bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area