Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Davis or Weber County, newbies in Utah, Utah meeting expectations, car insurance rates lower, babysitting prices half the price, lower utility bills than California, LDS families

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM

17 posts, read 65,924 times

Advertisements

So, I am moving to Davis or Weber County in May and I can't wait! I have been reading everyone's posts and I was wondering if there is anyone that has just moved to Utah within the past year? I was wondering if everyone could update us newbies on how things are going now. Is Utah meeting the expectations that you have? Is there anything you would do differently knowing what you know now? I am just curious how things have been for people after they move. Thanks for the thoughts and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM

111 posts, read 625,834 times
I posted this in a different thread several weeks ago...but I'll repost here...

Well...we moved here the beginning of August and we absolutely LOVE IT!

We were die-hard Californians and beach-goers who swore up and down we'd never move to Utah even after seeing so many of friends relocate here.

But in 2005 we vacationed in Park City and fell in love with the state. But my dh just started business school so we knew we couldn't relocate then (even though it would have been SO MUCH better for us to SELL our house in Cali in 05!) In 2006, dh had just one more year left of business school so we put our house on the market. We were originally going to buy a home closer to dh's work in LA but our budget (which I THOUGHT was decent) could only afford us a tiny townhome with no yard (this was because it was close to LAX and a beach community). So we re-thought the Utah plan, flew out here the summer of 2006, went to the SL Parade of Homes with a builder and was just floored with what our budget could build us here...even with the plummeting California market and the rising UT housing market a year ago. So we found some land in Davis County and started the build process.

We did this with no job for dh here. The plan was for him to commute back to LA on a weekly basis. Heck, he was already spending 1.5 - 2.0 hours EACH WAY on the fwy...he may as well do it on airplane. But...in January 07, a business school classmate found out we finally sold our house (after a 20% reduction in price - ouch) and that we're moving to UT. He works for a venture capitalist firm in LA and said that they just funded a new start-up in UT and they were looking for someone to head up their finance dept.

It took months and months of interviews but dh actually got the job offer in July - right after his graduation. What's crazy is that he is actually making more money at this job in UT than his previous job in Los Angeles!

So for us, it was the smartest move ever - especially for financial reasons. I know everyone has different perspectives and backgrounds but coming from very pricey and congested Southern California,

-we were floored when our car insurance cost HALF of what it did in Calif.

-We thought our $52 electric bill was missing a zero! (Of course we're renting an 1200 sf duplex right now while our house is being built but seriously in Calif, for our 3200 sf house, our electric bills were close to $600 A MONTH!)

-Babysitting prices are HALF

-Haircuts are about 30% less than what I was paying in Cali

-Dh's commute is seriously about 1/3 the time (35 minutes) he was doing in Calif. for the same distance - and yeah 35 minutes one way is a LONG time for most Utahns as we're finding out but to us, it's a DREAM!

So maybe our situation is a very unique exception. We were told to expect that dh would get a paycut by relocating jobs here but that didn't happen.

I guess I just wanted to post this to let you all know that there are amazing opportunities here as well. Lots of great products and services and businesses come out of Utah and we really think that the state is a diamond in the rough.

Now, we are active LDS. But interestingly in my little duplex neighborhood, there are only 4 active LDS families. I've met lots of people that aren't LDS and love it here just as much.

We don't have family here but we have been welcomed so warmly. We are also a bi-racial family...my dh is Caucasian and I'm of Filipino descent. Certainly there are areas (like Bountiful) that are very Caucasian but I was amazed at how much more diverse other areas are like Layton, Sandy, and SLC. We went to Costco in SLC a couple of weeks ago and we seriously felt like we were back in Southern California since it was very diverse.

We have come here with an open mind and an open heart. We were also told that since Utah LDS congregations (wards) are huge, it would take a while to get acclimated and fit in so we expected that. But that hasn't been the case...even though our ward IS HUGE...we have been welcomed so warmly and we've been out with other couples several times since we've moved here. AND we're not even living in the neighborhood yet (we're attending the congregation where we're building - not the congregation where we're renting).

But since dh and I are friendly people and are really making a strong effort to have a happy life here, we don't sit around and wait for people to approach us...we reach out, we participate, we get our kids involved, we engage in the community and the lifestyle...and we have a much fuller, richer life because of it.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:29 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Exclamation I've been in Salt Lake three years

and it is OK. It is one of the safer cities I have lived in and I do value that. There seems to be a lot of good jobs here, or at least an OK job market, so that too has worked for me. Other than that I have not enjoyed the place that much. It is extremely hot in the summer and has below freezing temperatures and a lot of cloudy, depressing days in the winter. But that is not the real problem. What really bothers me is the Mormonism. It is tough to get away from. I have begun limiting the amount of time I spend south of a certain part of town and spending most of my time in the "non LDS" areas like downtown (where I live) and Sugar House. The Mormons are a know it all, close knit group who like to alienate outsiders. This has been my general experience on a regular basis. The non LDS people, who supposedly live downtown and Sugar House are not any nicer than people I've met in other places. There seems to be a subtle type of snobbishness that is creeping in to places like the Gateway, a kind of faux urbanism. Generally I have not been impressed with anything in Utah. I was packed to leave a few months ago and wound up staying. I have lived in Texas, New Mexico and Oregon and liked those places better. But some people really do love it here and are able to make it work despite the annoying LDS influence. The Gateway is very nice, the economy seems to be good, and there are plans for a downtown redevelopment that will include a lot of shops & restaurants, etc. That is all very lovely, and I think Utah is going to be increasingly a popular place for people to relocate to. That does not change the fact that Mormons have lived here for 100 years ago or so and consider this to be their "place". I had a co worker at eBay who told me that Pioneer Day, the day the Mormons celebrate the founding of the Salt Lake by Brigham Young, is more important the the 4th of July. In other words, being Mormon is more important to them than being American. I think this really has to be considered and pondered on, if you want to really get what goes on in the Wasatch Front. Sure people say there aren't as many Mormons as there used to be, or that the area will become progressively diverse, etc., are ignoring the fact that the area is already entrenched with a cultish type religion that subtly influences everything that goes on here. The Mormons definitely have the right to pursue their religion, that is not my point. The point is, Utah is an American state and I am an American. I sometimes feel that the Mormons have forgotten that they are also Americans and that church and state are separate for a reason. Mormons seem to make the excuse that the Mormonism is part of their private life and how important that is to them, etc., talking constantly at work, for example, about their mission, where they went, what they did, etc. as though I would know or at all care about what they are talking about. They don't seem to get it that that is a private matter and not something that most people are going to care about. It's like here in the Wasatch front those rules don't apply. And don't get me started on the mothers and kids thing in public stores--- they drag their kids everywhere and seem proud of it. I have really gotten some seriously bad vibes from some of these die hards, especially in the suburbs. As in, total hatred. It is so scary, really. I have had to call the management at several stores and speak to them about customer service issues, when I would just soon have not. The place I lived before, Albuquerque, had mostly none of these issues. As in no harassment, at any time, ever, and no feelings of alienation or strangeness. I am most likely moving back there and will put the Utah chapter behind me. I do think this is a good place for people, but obviously not for me.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 AM

21 posts, read 94,472 times
Default Moved to Salt Lake in May

I've been happy since moving here. My lifestyle does'nt necessarily fit the "norm" around here and unlike the last reply I have not felt judged nor discriminated against. It's not like I have ever had to hide who I am either. There's alot of diversty here and alot of people here value that the same as I do. Utah has alot to offer. I live in a great, clean, safe city. I can be in the peaceful mountains in less than an hour or the desert with red rock clilffs, lakes and rivers in about 3 hours. The weather is great. I lived in Montana for 11 years, and don't get me wrong I love Montana very much, but the weather here is friendlier for going outside and enjoying recreational activities or even taking a leisurley walk. Getting to know people could be a challenge if you are really shy and not a member of the church. But if you can engage yourself with others even if not to a great degree meeting people is possible. For me work has been a good conncetion. For my boyfriend he made alot of friends on the chair lifts at the ski resorts. The people of the Mormon faith have proven to be friendly and inviting. I have had no bad encounters thus far and don't intend to. I beleive that others are free to discuss their lives and their beilefs as they please. I don't get offended when I hear people I work with discuss their missons, it is my opportunity to join in on a conversation about other cultures and share my experiences about my studies and travel in Germany. People don't talk about their missons to offend you. Sorry I am getting off track I was just really offended by the last response and I'm not even LDS. Anyway Utah is a great place to live. There's, work, there's nature, there's a variety of entertainment, and there's nice folks. What more can you ask for.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
I’m trying to mellow as I age, and I too was offended by the previous post. Glad it’s not just me. I do feel the need to address a couple of things. First is the common thread of disliking the Mormon influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
What really bothers me is the Mormonism. It is tough to get away from.
Quote:
the annoying LDS influence.
Quote:
cultish type religion that subtly influences everything that goes on here.
Attitudes like these will certainly not endear you to the 65% of the populace who is LDS. If I knew you in person, I don’t think I would find you in my circle of friends, and I don’t think it would entirely be my fault.

Quote:
Mormons … consider this to be their "place"
I don’t think that’s totally true, but you are ignoring history. Over 150 years ago, the Mormons were forcibly exiled from the fertile farmlands of the Midwest, to the desert that was then part of Mexico. They beat the odds and made the desert blossom. Now it’s an increasingly popular place, and you would eradicate the culture that made it what it is. I’ve come to realize through this forum, that the LDS can do more to make people feel included. But at the same time you can’t expect a place to immediately change to fit your druthers.

Quote:
I had a co worker at eBay who told me that Pioneer Day, the day the Mormons celebrate the founding of the Salt Lake by Brigham Young, is more important the the 4th of July.
I guess your co-worker can have his/her own opinion, but I’ve never felt that way, and I don’t know anyone else who holds that opinion.

Quote:
I sometimes feel that the Mormons have forgotten that they are also Americans and that church and state are separate for a reason
Uh … no, I don’t think so. I had a teacher from Russia, non-LDS, at BYU. She said she found Mormons to be almost “super-patriotic.” The first modern LDS temple east of the Mississippi was completed in Washington DC. Washington DC, where I came from, has about 50,000 LDS people in the metro area – the highest concentration of LDS on the East Coast. Most of them are there working for the Federal Government, as I did.

In general, the two previous posts are Exhibit A and Exhibit B for the glass is almost empty, and the glass is mostly full. I also believe a person’s overall temperament can drastically influence how they perceive situations. Good luck finding more positive aspects wherever you end up landing.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 AM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
Catrina, I've been avoiding responding to your posts, even though I've found them to be overdramatic and untrue, because you clearly have personal issues and hate it here, and I didn't want to add to that. But at this point, I would like to respectfully request that you limit your negativity to Utah issues, and stop the Mormon name-calling. In just this one post, you have referred to us as cultish, alienating, unpatriotic know-it-alls. I just finished reading another of your posts where you claim a single, unmarried female will be regarded with suspicion, called a lesbian, and disliked by Mormons. If you would like to Mormon-bash, there's a whole religious forum on this site where you are welcome to do so. But before you do, check out a few things:

Sheri L. Dew, until recently in one of the leading positions in the LDS Church, a highly-beloved and much-requested speaker on the LDS circuit, a very independent and very successful businesswoman, and yes, middle-aged, and never married. So this is how Mormons treat their women, including the "non-traditional" ones. Interesting.

Next July 4th, attend the Freedom Festival in Utah County. It is one of the biggest patriotic Independence Day celebrations in the country. Attend Stadium of Fire in Lavell Edwards Stadium at BYU. And then try, just try, to say that Mormons aren't patriotic.

I'm sorry you're having a bad time here. Clearly, it's not a good place for you to live. But please try to exercise some understanding in the matter; if you feel alienated, could it be that the very people you are accusing of alienating you are the people you are calling names, mocking, and insulting at every turn? I think they can be excused for not seeking out your company.

I think perhaps the religion forum would be the better place for your anti-Mormon posts. Please.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 PM

17 posts, read 65,924 times
Default Moving to Utah...

Thank you for the responses. I did not intend for this to be a serious thread at all. I especially didn't intend for this to be about Mormonism. I just was curious for some advice. My husband and I are not LDS, however my husband's entire family is. I have not had one bad experience with his family. They consider me to be a daughter/ granddaughter/ sister, etc. They have never pushed their beliefs on me, nor have I ever pushed my beliefs on them. I am a positive person who tries to see the good in all people, regardless of race, religion, gender, etc. I live in Las Vegas... not a place for me. People can be outright nasty here. Every time I visit Utah, I am greeted by smiles. So, again, thank you for everyone's responses. I was more aiming for a general discussion about the area. Was the weather/ traffic/ schools/ recreational activities... etc. what you expected? I expect there to be mormons...I am moving to Utah after all! I am curious about the many other aspects of life there.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
I don't live in SLC, but may move there in the future. What I found interesting in Catrinac's post is that she felt uncomfortable due to the enjoyment of Pioneer Days. I lived in Guam for a while in the 80's and there, Liberation Day (July 21) is the big celebration. Guam is a territory of the U.S. and they consider themselves fully American. In fact, they get offended if you say you are returning to the "U.S." when leaving the island...you can say you are going to the mainland, or the states, but don't say you are going to America, you are already there. Doesn't change the fact that Lib Day is the big holiday.

I too live in Las Vegas and let me tell you, there are many days I feel like I'm living in a foreign country and it's not because of the size of celebrations!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Default I'm not from Utah and don't feel the need to agree

[quote=chazcrew;2224998]Catrina, I've been avoiding responding to your posts, even though I've found them to be overdramatic and untrue,

I have not made up anything that I have posted on this board. That you would suggest so says a lot about you. Everything I have posted here has actually happened to me in the three years that I have lived here. I have had a really hard time adjusting to this area and feel compelled to write about since it has been such an unusual life experience for me, considering that I have lived in several other regions of the country and never experienced anything remotely like it. I do find some of the people in Salt Lake, who are most likely Mormon, and who mostly live south of 3300, to be alienating and off putting, or at the very least slightly cold, and on occasion downright rude. I am sorry I have referred to Mormonism as a cult. It is a dominant religion, comprising something like 60% of the state and does seem to have an above average role in determining the values, beliefs and life decisions of many of the people who live here. I am not putting that down, I am just pointing out that compared to the rest of the country, it is unusual, and from an outsider's point of view, does have a sort of cult-like feeling. My example of what I experienced is at eBay, for example is true, not something I could make up, and I think people who have worked with Mormons might agree with me. I am simply trying to raise consciousness. If I have offended you I am sorry. My comment about Americanism was not intended to imply that Mormons are not patriotic. I think you misunderstood me. I get the feeling that being Mormon is more important and that I am not viewed here as a fellow American but as a non-Mormon. It is so important to understand what I mean by this. I am not some kind of outsider who moved in here who doesn't have the right to be here.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 12-12-2007 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 16,631 times
Default Utah Social Environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zena564 View Post
So, I am moving to Davis or Weber County in May and I can't wait! I have been reading everyone's posts and I was wondering if there is anyone that has just moved to Utah within the past year? I was wondering if everyone could update us newbies on how things are going now. Is Utah meeting the expectations that you have? Is there anything you would do differently knowing what you know now? I am just curious how things have been for people after they move. Thanks for the thoughts and advice!
After, I moved to Utah, it is pretty much the same. The people are friendly and respectful. Anywhere you move you have either good or bad people. Therefore, haters are going to hate. Most people that hate other people have a problem themselves. You can meet good White people and they are willing to be your friend. Utah likes friendly and kind people that make them laugh. Friendliness is the key in Utah. So, it is recommended that you are friendly and keep a smile and always say hello even if you get no response. Since people have changed all over the world. People have become skepticical about others because of trust reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area