Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times

Advertisements

Coolcats is correct. A landlord wishing to rent to BYU students has to have certain standards at his property, because BYU students are only allowed to live in "approved" housing. This is why there will be many units near BYU that have stronger restrictions; the owner wants to meet BYU's standards so its students can live there. The landlords cannot discriminate based on religion, but they can set whatever rules of occupancy they wish. Some places don't allow pets, some don't allow drinking. It's legal for them to set parameters. Anyone of any religion can live there, but they have to live by the rules set by the owner.

Look for units that aren't affiliated with BYU and you'll have a much easier time of it. I don't think UVSC has as many restrictions, so you will probably find more suitable apartments in Orem than in Provo. Look for apartments/condos that are rented as a whole unit, instead of on a single contract basis (meaning, look for somewhere that you can simply rent an apartment, instead of signing a contract that gives you rights to one bedroom of the apartment, or whatever, which is common practice in student housing).

I was getting all ready to get on my high horse when I read your title, thinking you were going on a Mormon-bashing spree (common here, unfortunately), but you do have a valid point. You will find a lot of housing geared to gain BYU approval, so it will have a lot of restrictions you probably wouldn't like. I'd definitely look for non-byu-approved housing if I were you. I don't know how much you'll find in Spanish; you could check Springville, too, but Orem is probably your best bet for high-volume housing within driving distance. Definitely check Craigslist and the local papers' websites for rentals. The Daily Herald probably has lots of local listings. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Unless you are talking about college kids (and it is not even true of most college kids!), these statements are pretty ridiculous. I have never heard of drinking not being allowed in an apartment - and that type of rule exists almost nowhere else besides Utah. The large majority of adults who drink, even alcoholics, do not destroy or damage their homes when they drink. It is baffling to me that people have these misconceptions - maybe this is what people think who are not really exposed much to drinking.

I have been around people drinking and have been socially drinking all of my adult life and I have never witnessed this type of thing. I went to college, and most of the students drank and partied all through it. Loud music, yes there was that, but destruction of property, no, not at all. Yes it happens, but rarely. Lets be honest here. The only reason a landlord does not allow drinking is because it is against their religion.
Apparently you never lived in Boulder, CO. Property destruction happens on a regular basis, in conjunction with drinking parties. There are regular stories in the paper about trash all over the place, couch burning (admittedly a rarity), general trashing of property. You can do a google search and find the same thing. And I don't think it's just in Boulder. From what my kids have told me, it happens in Northfield, MN and Valparaiso, IN to name two other college towns.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Apparently you never lived in Boulder, CO. Property destruction happens on a regular basis, in conjunction with drinking parties. There are regular stories in the paper about trash all over the place, couch burning (admittedly a rarity), general trashing of property. You can do a google search and find the same thing. And I don't think it's just in Boulder. From what my kids have told me, it happens in Northfield, MN and Valparaiso, IN to name two other college towns.
It did not sound like the original poster was a college student, and the apartments that don't allow drinking don't allow 50 year olds to drink either. I am aware that there are rowdy college kids who get drunk and damage stuff. But what I said was, the large majority of them don't do damage (it's the ones that do that you hear about). Personally, I wouldn't rent to college kids period - they are kids, and kids are not all that responsible.

I was responding to the statements that make it sound like drinking, no matter who does it, frequently leads to the place getting trashed, and that is completely ridiculous.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 25,906 times
Default Utah can't discriminate in housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elalbr01 View Post
I am a single female who has recently relocated to Utah for a job. My office is located in Spanish Fork but I am open to living anywhere as far north as Provo. So far I have been living in a hotel because I cannot seem to find an affordable option that is not affiliated with BYU or LDS in some way. This is not to say that I am opposed to living with roommates or having landlords that are LDS because of their beliefs (I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions). It is just that I drink on weekends, listen secular music, and would like to be able to have my fiancé stay overnight when he visits, so I doubt I'm an eligible candidate for most rental listings. Also, even if I were to obey the LDS guidelines, I do not relish the thought of living with 2 or 3 or 4 college girls that I don't know or have anything in common with, but those seem to be the only options. Things are very different here...

Are there any options that I have missed?

Also, I have a co-worker that is moving to the Orem area with her boyfriend, they plan to live together. Will they be able to find place or will they be shunned?
It's illegal to discriminate regarding housing and most Realtors know that. As for renting, you might find some concern from people who rent out their basements or similar. Discrimination is still illegal, even in Utah. I would contact a Realtor to see if you can find a small house. The costs would be pretty reasonable in Spanish Fork and its surrounds. If you can't, the Realtor will likely know of ideas for apartments.

Mormons and non-Mormons alike listen to all kinds of music. The Church only prohibits (for the faithful) any music with rude, crude, violent, vulgar, or sexually explicit lyrics. Like most people, the real objection would be to having the music too loud.

As for "cohabitation," I certainly know plenty of people, even in Utah County, who cohabit. Your perceptions may be colored by either horror stories you have heard or from media. Yes, some LDS don't approve, but then they might not approve of your car type or whatever. We all have some prejudices.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
It did not sound like the original poster was a college student, and the apartments that don't allow drinking don't allow 50 year olds to drink either. I am aware that there are rowdy college kids who get drunk and damage stuff. But what I said was, the large majority of them don't do damage (it's the ones that do that you hear about). Personally, I wouldn't rent to college kids period - they are kids, and kids are not all that responsible.

I was responding to the statements that make it sound like drinking, no matter who does it, frequently leads to the place getting trashed, and that is completely ridiculous.
read his next post after the one that is in question, where he answers the op about their drinking habits. he states that he has no reason to doubt that they are a responsible drinker ("i'm sure you do"). i don't think that he was insinuating that *everyone* that drinks becomes a reckless fool. but as a retired cop, i would bet that he has seen more than his share of rampaging drunks. probably most of them are between the ages of 16-30, but i would bet that there are some older ones in there.

i served in the usmc for 4 years, and i can certainly say that i saw my fair share of drunken destruction of property. that however was only the tip of the iceberg. violence, dereliction of duty, general stupidity, and many other forms of mayhem resulted on a daily basis because of drinking.

again, i agree, and i think everyone in here agrees that it is the minority of drinkers that cause problems, but it is for that minority of very stupid people in the world that we have all of these laws that would never be a problem for the rest of us. i don't drink, and though my buddies have always argued to the contrary, i would probably be the very sleepy drunk, not the rowdy, insubordinate drunk. i am sure there are others that are the same, or that are just smart enough to drink without getting drunk in the first place.

for the rest, private institutions make weird, and sometimes overbearing demands. whatever, i'm a utah fan anyway. go utes.

aaron out.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 44,314 times
Default Drinking myths

[quote=SergeantL;2403002]
".......... drinking has a tendency to lead to property damage and disruptive behavior"

I must say....when I enjoy a glass of great wine with dinner--I have never had the occasion or desire to destroy my own home and become disruptive. I believe the myth of the evils of alcohol is just that, a myth. Humans have had the pleasure that alcohol can provide and being human, some of them, abuse the substance. I would hope this wary attitude is not something that represents the majority of opinions in SLC. Of course underage drinking is against the law. People who drink and drive are criminals but to generalize about adults enjoying the finer things--"a good meal, wine, and thee" ....not cool.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 PM

[quote=Zibbet18;3935253]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
".......... drinking has a tendency to lead to property damage and disruptive behavior"

I must say....when I enjoy a glass of great wine with dinner--I have never had the occasion or desire to destroy my own home and become disruptive. I believe the myth of the evils of alcohol is just that, a myth. Humans have had the pleasure that alcohol can provide and being human, some of them, abuse the substance. I would hope this wary attitude is not something that represents the majority of opinions in SLC. Of course underage drinking is against the law. People who drink and drive are criminals but to generalize about adults enjoying the finer things--"a good meal, wine, and thee" ....not cool.
I'm pretty sure it represents the majority of opinions among Mormons. My theory about this is that many may never have been exposed to "normal" social drinking, so they automatically associate any and all alcohol use with getting drunk and disorderly. Even besides "finer things", I just like a beer or two with my pizza!
I recently found out about an organization on the other end of the spectrum that looks interesting:
Drinking Liberally of Salt Lake City
They are not about getting "drunk", but it sounds like a group of more liberal minded people seeking respite from the prevailing attitudes in the area.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,499 times
i recently move to provo becos' i got a job there, and i get a lot of troubles just to find apartment there. apparently, all the BYU-approved apartments required u to be a BYU student, or at least enroll to an institute class (religion class). i thought i can take any religion class, but they only offer class for LDS. i just felt it's so ridiculous, how come i have to take LDS classes if I'm not LDS? How come I have to take religion class if I want to live in that apartment? this is so ridiculous, i can't believe i'm in this kind of situation right now. this is so UNFAIR!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:54 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
hey, if you are the type that knows how (and then does) drink responsibly, more power to you. maybe i'd buy you a drink if you ever invited me to a party. if not, you deserve what's coming to you. especially if you drive drunk. then you are the kind of person that i want to find in a dark alley with a my collection of baseball bats conveniently handy.

just kidding... i don't have a collection of baseball bats.

aaron out.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM

this is an old thread that was topped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area