Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,223 times

Advertisements

I am a single female who has recently relocated to Utah for a job. My office is located in Spanish Fork but I am open to living anywhere as far north as Provo. So far I have been living in a hotel because I cannot seem to find an affordable option that is not affiliated with BYU or LDS in some way. This is not to say that I am opposed to living with roommates or having landlords that are LDS because of their beliefs (I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions). It is just that I drink on weekends, listen secular music, and would like to be able to have my fiancé stay overnight when he visits, so I doubt I'm an eligible candidate for most rental listings. Also, even if I were to obey the LDS guidelines, I do not relish the thought of living with 2 or 3 or 4 college girls that I don't know or have anything in common with, but those seem to be the only options. Things are very different here...

Are there any options that I have missed?

Also, I have a co-worker that is moving to the Orem area with her boyfriend, they plan to live together. Will they be able to find place or will they be shunned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM

111 posts, read 626,257 times
I guess it just depends on the individual landlords. Here in Davis County, we're renting a duplex and it seems like there's hardly ANY LDS on my block. But since you're looking in Utah county, it may be tougher to find landlords who don't have such a strict code of conduct.

You may want to post a "Looking to Rent" ad on Craig's List and see if you get any responses.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:07 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,164 times
Federal law prohibits housing discrimnation based on religion. Any landlord, who does not rent to you based on the fact you are not LDS is in violation of the law. If you suspect such discrimination, contact (HUD). In reality, I don't think you will have any problems renting.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,223 times
"Federal law prohibits housing discrimnation based on religion. Any landlord, who does not rent to you based on the fact you are not LDS is in violation of the law. If you suspect such discrimination, contact (HUD). In reality, I don't think you will have any problems renting. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if housing is ran under LDS guidlines or BYU standards, wouldn't it be considered a violation of those guidelines to have an unmarried couple living together? Therefore, the landlords could sight them as being unqualified, rather than it being an issue of discrimination? From what I have heard for some in the community, this is a real issue, at least for this particular area.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,931 times
One thing I was surprised about here was the number of apartment rental notices that specified non-drinking tenants. I asked someone about that, and I was told (not sure if it is true or not) that when you signed the lease you would be required to sign a contract saying you would not drink in the apartment.

I find this strange because I am not sure how that makes a "better" tenant. Its not like I drink in my apartment and then tear the place apart.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elalbr01 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if housing is ran under LDS guidlines or BYU standards, wouldn't it be considered a violation of those guidelines to have an unmarried couple living together? Therefore, the landlords could sight them as being unqualified, rather than it being an issue of discrimination? From what I have heard for some in the community, this is a real issue, at least for this particular area.
If you want to move into housing, which is controlled by either the LDS Church or BYU, then you must conform to their standards; however, any housing, which is not controlled by either institution, is covered by HUD regulations. Unless you are looking at student housing, which is controlled by the Church and BYU, I can't imagine you won't find a place that will not rent to you.

Oh, I forgot. Landlords can set down certain restrictions, which are not religion based, such as no smoking, drinking, loud music, or visitors after a certain hour. Smoking stains the walls, drinking has a tendency to lead to property damage and disruptive behavior, loud music disturbs the neighbors, and having visitors coming and going late at night can also disturb the neighbors, especially if you are renting a basement apartment and the landlord lives above. The visitor regulation does not prohibit you from having a friend stay over; it just means don’t have folks ringing your doorbell after some established time at night.

Last edited by SergeantL; 01-03-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
One thing I was surprised about here was the number of apartment rental notices that specified non-drinking tenants. I asked someone about that, and I was told (not sure if it is true or not) that when you signed the lease you would be required to sign a contract saying you would not drink in the apartment.

I find this strange because I am not sure how that makes a "better" tenant. Its not like I drink in my apartment and then tear the place apart.
I am sure you don't, but I can assure you many people do. Many think drugs such as cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin are dangerous, and they are, but during my LE career, I had more trouble with those under the influence of good old alcohol than any other drug. People get incredibly stupid when drinking, and I think landlords have grown tired of the side effects.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:30 AM

255 posts, read 608,618 times
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be, it's been a while since I lived in or owned property in Utah), but I think in order for housing to be deemed "BYU-approved" *all* the tenants in the property have to sign and abide by the BYU code of conduct. This would, in fact, prevent you from having a member of the opposite sex spend the night.

I remember there was a big to do about this about a decade ago when they tightened the rules.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,733,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be, it's been a while since I lived in or owned property in Utah), but I think in order for housing to be deemed "BYU-approved" *all* the tenants in the property have to sign and abide by the BYU code of conduct. This would, in fact, prevent you from having a member of the opposite sex spend the night.

I remember there was a big to do about this about a decade ago when they tightened the rules.
The restriction is on single BYU students. Part of their enrollment requires them to live in housing that conforms to BYU standards. So if the complex wants to rent to BYU students, they are by default required to meet certain standards. Nothing but market economics (high demand because of BYU students) forces the complexes to comply. The restrictions do not apply to married students, so there are several complexes and basement apartments etc. that you could probably find. In fact, unless you are 18-24 and single, you’d probably not want to live in complexes that cater to single BYU students.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 PM

515 posts, read 2,324,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
...drinking has a tendency to lead to property damage and disruptive behavior...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I had more trouble with those under the influence of good old alcohol than any other drug. People get incredibly stupid when drinking, and I think landlords have grown tired of the side effects.
Unless you are talking about college kids (and it is not even true of most college kids!), these statements are pretty ridiculous. I have never heard of drinking not being allowed in an apartment - and that type of rule exists almost nowhere else besides Utah. The large majority of adults who drink, even alcoholics, do not destroy or damage their homes when they drink. It is baffling to me that people have these misconceptions - maybe this is what people think who are not really exposed much to drinking.

I have been around people drinking and have been socially drinking all of my adult life and I have never witnessed this type of thing. I went to college, and most of the students drank and partied all through it. Loud music, yes there was that, but destruction of property, no, not at all. Yes it happens, but rarely. Lets be honest here. The only reason a landlord does not allow drinking is because it is against their religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area