Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 11:55 AM

914 posts, read 973,280 times

Advertisements

We have moved here from overseas and are loving it so far, kids are settled in Elementary and kids/people have been wonderful. My oldest is 5th Grade so moves up to middle school in the fall.

However on looking at greatschools even schools which are highly rated have many comments about bullying, being beaten up, mean teachers etc etc

Am I being naïve or is this site just full of a lot of disgruntled parents.

I worried on moving here judging by some of the comments that go on and it seems exacerbated as my kids have been welcomed with open arms, say the schooling is good and had no end of buddies helping them at school yesterday so why is there so many negative issues surrounding middle schools and even the charter schools.

I find it hard to get round that all schools in Utah have awful teaching, children and daily bullying and is making a choice of middle school very hard. Most will not allow you to look round when the kids are there so very hard to make an informed decision.

We went with our gut instinct on elementary and its a good school from what I have experienced so far even though there was lots of negative and positive views on the schools site.

Can someone shed some light !!

Areas wise we have choice as can get a permit for the feeder school or they have places promised at a charter for the fall anyway but again are wild accusations!

We loved some of the areas mentioned Sandy, CH etc but were messed around by a realtor last week so have settled on the West side of the valley meaning we have more options for middle school but all the areas so far seem ok up here too and the people kind !

Whats going on people????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM

388 posts, read 548,945 times
What happened to your SALTA school places?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 PM

They took test but as differences in certain things eg Math they did not get into SALTA for Elementary. My oldest can do it for Middle school(without testing again) but not 100% sure about the school after a visit. They are in a good elementary at the moment and really enjoying it.The youngest can retest next year and may well pass then.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 PM

388 posts, read 548,945 times
Bummer.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:36 PM

Hence the dilema. Not too worried about the youngest as lower grade and know the school they are at is fab. The other 3 school options we have for middle school are a charter and 2 public, all with good ratings and results but every middle school you read about there is some comment about this kid was beaten up, this teacher's a bully, all the teachers/teaching are/is rubbish etc etc. We have not bought a home so not tied (only for a year)but is a worry. I feel would be better to send her where her new friends are going as they have welcomed her and my other daughter with open arms.

Everyone seems to rave about charters but again every charter you see has disgruntled customers!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 PM

On the upside Coffeequeen my kids have loved their first week at school, both have loads of friends and the 5th Grader wants to ditch the charter school place and follow all her friends to the local Middle school as they have said they are all going and would be gutted if she didn't.
They are loving life here and has made me a very happy parent as they are so happy after leaving close friends and family behind.
My 5th grader has begged me to get her a phone so her & her mates can text each other and meet up too. Hoping once we are settled in the home they can have a few buddies over for cookies etc and hopefully this will happen
I am going to help on one of their field trips which will hopefully get me to meet a few more of the moms of the friends they talk so happily about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area