U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2006, 06:40 PM
 
9 posts, read 24,397 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am one month from moving to the SLC area from out of state.
Can someone please tell me why I might choose to live in Sandy/Holladay as opposed to Layton/Kaysville?

My background: 35 y.o., married, 2 kids age 7 & 5, white, non-LDS, Christian. My commute for work would be to the SLC airport. Want to ski, but never have.

What I have heard from using the Internet:
1. The lower valley has worse air quality?
2. Sandy/Holladay would have an older population?
3. Housing costs a little more in Sandy/Holladay area, so you get a larger/newer home for your money in Layton/Kaysville.

I have been unable to determine anything else! Please fill in the blanks for me. Give me your opinions, good bad or ugly!

Thanks.

Last edited by ATCShane; 04-16-2006 at 06:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2006, 08:16 PM
 
1,821 posts, read 7,409,595 times
Reputation: 1040
Default My thoughts ...

Sandy/Holladay -- higher housing costs, better commute (though not perfect). I-15 can get backed up, but you have alternatives like I-215. Holladay is probably older, but I know Sandy has lots of kids.

Layton/Kaysville -- Housing quite a bit cheaper. can have really bad traffic, especially during snow or after accidents. There are no alternatives (yet) to I-15. Probably lots of young families. Probably more diverse because it is near Hill AFB and lots of poeple coming and going from out of state.

If you are not set on those two areas, consider Bountiful, Tooele, or far western parts of SL county. South Jordan and West Jordan would probably have a similar commute to Sandy, but houses are cheaper. I live in a new neighborhood in West Valley. It's nice and would have a very short commute. I'm about 10 minutes (6 miles from airport).

Regarding air quality -- I think the situations would be same in either location. Most of the time it's not bad, but every winter there are stretches when inversions make the air pretty smoggy. The only way to avoid inversions is to get really high up like in Park City, Morgan, or Heber City, but then you would have major problems commuting down to the valley in winter snowstorms.

Let me know if you have other questions

Last edited by coolcats; 04-17-2006 at 08:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,065 times
Reputation: 10
I would agree with CoolCats. Consider living on the SW side of SL County. I live in Herriman. We are just above the inversion in the wintertime. The airport is about 20-30 minutes away on Bangerter Highway. You can get decent housing in Herriman, Bluffdale, Riverton, or South Jordan. There is a new development in South Jordan called Daybreak you might want to consider as well. Plenty of children in the area for your kids to hang out with. The area is quite diverse as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2006, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Currently live in Cottonwood Heights, which in my opinion, is one of the best locations in Salt Lake
1 posts, read 5,389 times
Reputation: 10
Default My 2 cents

I am a local realtor in SLC. Holladay and Sandy do have an older demographic, and are comfortable and popular places to live. They are close to Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon, which has the best skiing in Utah in my opinion. The homes will be a bit more expensive than Davis County (Layton, Bountiful), and will be older in construction. Holladay and Sandy are safe places to live with good schools, but may not measure up to the reports previously stated, I have not compared SL County schools to Davis County schools.

There are a lot of newer homes being built in Davis County, and you get more home for your money.The new Legacy highway has been approved, which will make your commute even faster from Davis County to the airport. It will definitaley be a better commute from Davis County than from Holladay or Sandy unless you are far enough east to be close to I-215 or Wasatch BLVD.

I have a friend that lives in Herriman and works at the airport, and he says the commute is great. Herriman is enjoying great appreciation, better than Davis County. Herriman is very popular right now and close to the west mountains, out of the inversion, that brown fog that hangs over the lower city in the winter. The communities are well planned and very nice. I would prefer to live there instead of Davis County if I worked at the airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2006, 03:11 AM
 
Location: Logan, UT
14 posts, read 81,535 times
Reputation: 27
If your commute is to the airport, you will actually get there faster from Davis Co. than Sandy I think. You can hit the I-215 from Davis Co. and get off right at airport. You have to get through street traffic to get through Sandy to a highway. Sandy is right in the east-middle of SLC Valley, while the airport is on the extreme NW edge.

Also, Layton, Kaysville, Farmington, Centerville, Bountiful, etc (Davis Co) are very nice towns and a BIT cheaper than Sandy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2006, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Hell.... Layton, Utah
1 posts, read 5,390 times
Reputation: 11
Layton is a very beautiful place to live i've lived in layton for 18 years and it is nice. Davis county itself is very beautiful place to live, but we have all of this construction going on it davis county and it takes a while to get from location a to location b.

My dad works at the airport and because of the construction it can take him 45 minutes - 1 hour to get to work when it used to only take him 15-30 minutes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2006, 05:30 PM
 
3 posts, read 19,422 times
Reputation: 10
Default Possible move to Layton/Kaysville

Hi I have been browsing the forum boards and am trying to find out which is a better location West Layton, East Layton by the golf course or Kaysville. My husband will be opening a subdivision in the Salt Lake area not sure exactly where to open it but when we were there a couple of weeks ago we drove through Kaysville and W. Layton and really liked the homes. We have found some online but not sure how the schools are and the neighborhoods. We live in Seattle WA and if we do the move my girls will be in 7th and 9th grade. So we would want to really get in a neighborhood with a good high school.

I apreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you
Rachel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 AM
 
3 posts, read 19,422 times
Reputation: 10
Default High school in Layton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyko View Post
Layton is a very beautiful place to live i've lived in layton for 18 years and it is nice. Davis county itself is very beautiful place to live, but we have all of this construction going on it davis county and it takes a while to get from location a to location b.

My dad works at the airport and because of the construction it can take him 45 minutes - 1 hour to get to work when it used to only take him 15-30 minutes.
Where did you go to High School living in Layton. We are considering moving over there and would like your input on High Schools?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2006, 10:12 PM
 
18 posts, read 87,491 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlnmom123 View Post
Hi I have been browsing the forum boards and am trying to find out which is a better location West Layton, East Layton by the golf course or Kaysville. My husband will be opening a subdivision in the Salt Lake area not sure exactly where to open it but when we were there a couple of weeks ago we drove through Kaysville and W. Layton and really liked the homes. We have found some online but not sure how the schools are and the neighborhoods. We live in Seattle WA and if we do the move my girls will be in 7th and 9th grade. So we would want to really get in a neighborhood with a good high school.

I apreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you
Rachel
East Layton is very nice, as are many places in Kaysville. School-wise, you'd be best off moving within Davis High boundaries (Kaysville area). It's an excellent school (brand new and huge), though it is very crowded. Still, a very good school. Also, if the golf course you mentioned is the one I'm thinking of, your girls would likely go to Farmington Junior High, which is also a very good school (one of the best, if not the best, in the district). I went there myself. It was very challenging, but I felt very well prepared for High School by the end of it (9th graders go to Junior High (or Middle School) here, fyi).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2006, 05:08 PM
 
18 posts, read 87,491 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
East Layton is very nice, as are many places in Kaysville. School-wise, you'd be best off moving within Davis High boundaries (Kaysville area). It's an excellent school (brand new and huge), though it is very crowded. Still, a very good school. Also, if the golf course you mentioned is the one I'm thinking of, your girls would likely go to Farmington Junior High, which is also a very good school (one of the best, if not the best, in the district). I went there myself. It was very challenging, but I felt very well prepared for High School by the end of it (9th graders go to Junior High (or Middle School) here, fyi).
Disregard my comments about the Farmington Junior High stuff; that's not the golf course you were talking about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top