Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake73 View Post
I agree with don't do it and I wish I had never left Nashville. But it's not the worst thing in the word regarding the seminary here. We're nonMorman. My daughter started school here in 9th grade and never attended seminary but instead took another class during that time and now she is graduating a whole year early and getting $1,000 to do it. She's also going to graduate with a silver cord on top of it. So she'll be off to college a whole year early.
congrats. that is pretty cool. what college?

Old 02-03-2008, 05:31 PM

119 posts, read 835,052 times
Default Utah State

Westminster was too expensive. University of Utah has huge class sizes. So she went with Utah State up in Logan. It seems pretty safe there.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
utah state is a good school. i am contemplating transfering up there to finish my education, though housing for my wife and kid is the issue at the moment, not curriculum.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM

28 posts, read 101,580 times
crime has really shot up in salt lake since i lived there, about a year before the olympics,
i actually enjoyed it, lots of trees, and the mountains are right on top of you.....
think you might be better off in Albuquerque or Prescott, Arizona

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,193 times
I have lived in Salt Lake most of my life, but have traveled just about everywhere on business. It's true that we are a bit slower paced, but you can't beat the location! The mountains, the desert, for outdoor enthusiasts, there really isn't a better place. And my favorite martini bar is The Red Door.
In addition to the areas already suggested, I'd consider the Emigration Canyon area. You'd be surrounded by wildlife, hiking, biking, and still only be 15 minutes from downtown. Best of all, you're out of the inversion.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM

150 posts, read 474,855 times
SLC is a very big contrast to the cities where you used to live. You'd be surprised how safe it is, and I'm sure it's a great place to raise a family.

However, if you're into big city life, SLC might seem too calm for your tastes. The nightlife is pretty bad, and not a whole lot goes on then. Then there's the climate. Scorching hot summers followed by bitter, almost endless winters. I also detected a lot of racism and prejudice, particularly in the suburban areas surrounding the city.

Then again, that's what I noticed when I was living there. To each his/her own, I guess.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charise-rltr View Post
I have lived in Salt Lake most of my life, but have traveled just about everywhere on business. It's true that we are a bit slower paced, but you can't beat the location! The mountains, the desert, for outdoor enthusiasts, there really isn't a better place.
So true. SLC has some very glaring flaws, but being an avid lover of the outdoors I can easily overlook them to live in such a paradise. Can't wait to get back there.

For those who don't like the outdoors, I can see how SLC wouldn't have much appeal.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So true. SLC has some very glaring flaws, but being an avid lover of the outdoors I can easily overlook them to live in such a paradise. Can't wait to get back there.

For those who don't like the outdoors, I can see how SLC wouldn't have much appeal.
I completely agree. Some of the people who have complained about it seem to have moved there for other reasons, and they focus on the negatives, which do exist, especially if you are a real "city" person, or are used to a milder climate. I'd say 80% of the reason I am planning to move there is the outdoor rec., mostly skiing, and the close proximity to scenic beauty and national Parks. And in my case, the climate is better there than where I'm coming from. I hate humidity!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhByeCalifornia View Post
A little late to post...but FYI, when I took a quarter off at UCLA to attend BYU, I met with a college counselor at UCLA to help me determine what classes I should take at BYU that would be transferable back to UCLA. I was planning to take a religion class at BYU and my counselor said that as long as it was scriptures (Bible, Book of Mormon), it WOULD be transferable. I was surprised at that. Since I was an English Lit major, those classes would have been considered "literature in translation" classes and UCLA would have accepted them as credit.

I also took LDS institute courses at UCLA but those DID NOT give me college credit...even though they were scriptures at Institute I don't know why they wouldn't have transferred...I never really pushed the issue though.
As an FYI to this, it is not an anti-Moromon thing as much as a public college thing, I think. My DD went to a Lutheran college, Valparaiso, her first two years then transferred to the University of Colorado. CU would not accept the theology course she was required to take at Valparaiso, though they did accept another religion class she had to take as well. Something about there being no comparable course at CU.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As an FYI to this, it is not an anti-Moromon thing as much as a public college thing, I think. My DD went to a Lutheran college, Valparaiso, her first two years then transferred to the University of Colorado. CU would not accept the theology course she was required to take at Valparaiso, though they did accept another religion class she had to take as well. Something about there being no comparable course at CU.
True at most colleges/universities. If it is a general survey-of-religions type thing, or Bible as litteraure, most acceept it. If it is specialized to the sponsoring religion, most don't accept it. WHen I was at Loyola (Catholic), I could take either religion or philosopy to fulfill a requirement.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-12-2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area