U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 41,417 times

Advertisements

My biggest concern in this move is my childs social, mental and educational welfare. He is a great student taking mostly honors and ap courses and has played football for the highschool the last two years. Im very concerned that this move may throw him off course, especially if he experiences discrimination from other students for being a christian and not a mormon. The thought of him being shunned( I think that was the word I read in another blog) freaks me out. Will the teachers treat him fairly if he isnt mormon? I know that sounds silly but we have had our share of reverse discrimination coming from a very ethnically diverse community and nothing would surprise me at this point.

Ive read good things about skyline high school and was checking out judge memorial catholic high. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appriciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 01:54 PM

56 posts, read 372,572 times
sacfamily, I live in the area of Skyline High and my kids will be going there in a few years. I have never had any experiences with discrimination or "shunning". I think you have to choose the area you live in carefully, but I don't think you would experience any problems in this area. I've also heard that Judge is a fantastic school, and I wouldn't hesitate to check it out. I'm pretty impressed with the public schools in our area, and we have many parents who had children in private schools that have transferred to our elementary and say it is a better fit for them in many ways. Our area is about 40-50% Mormon (who consider themselves Christian by the way) and they have been very friendly and welcomming to our family. My kids are in elementary school, however, so I don't know much about how older kids are treated, but I have friends with teenagers who love the school and haven't mentioned any problems like you describe. Good luck in your move.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:15 PM

snowbird, i read your thread where you were frustrated with class size and public school funding. Has your opinion changed on this matter. What do you think of the east millcreek area. What areas do you suggest looking into for homes.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:18 PM

Sacfamily, East Millcreek is where I live and I think it is a great area. I am very, very frustrated with class size and public school funding in Utah, but I'm trying to make the best of the situation and keep a positive attitude since we're here for the long haul. You asked about social issues between Mormon and non-Mormon school kids and I haven't experienced any problems with that, at least not yet. That isn't to say that I haven't had some interesting cultural experiences with the local Mormons! But that is another topic. I realized that our school has a great reputation, high academic standards, and lots of parental involvement. However, my son had 30 kids in his first grade class, and my son's kindegarten class has 25. That's crazy. Many of the politicians promised in the last election to work on some of these problems, so my only option now is to continue to write letters, attend meetings and vote for candidates that at least say they will help the schools. Unfortunately as well, it is a fact of life that the school my kids attend performs well because it is in a more affluent, educated part of the city, and most of the parents are very involved in making sure the kids are learning. I would worry about schools in areas that are struggling more. As for areas to look for homes, it really depends on your budget. The areas in the east are quite expensive by some standards (we were pretty shocked), but there are still some good finds. A good website I found is (broken link), you can search by area in the Salt Lake Valley.

Last edited by Yac; 11-15-2006 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: link removed

Old 11-15-2006, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 13,765 times
My experience is a bit dated but it might help you decide. I am a non Mormon who lived in Utah for more than 20 years over a 40 year stretch (in and out). My wife is a non Mormon Utah native and a fifth generation one at that.

My family first moved to Utah from Florida in the 60’s, I was 15 and had brothers 13 and 10. We moved into Pleasant View and I went to the old Weber High (the one on Washington Blvd in Ogden). Weber High was probably almost 99% Mormon. We were very nieve, none of us had ever been out west before, let alone to Utah and we did not know what a Mormon was.

None of us were ever shunned, I don’t really think Mormons do that, not to non Mormons anyway. There were certainly girls who could not go out with me because I wasn’t Mormon, but there were plenty of Mormon kids who became my friends and some of the girls would or could date me. I got to know all of the non Mormons pretty quickly as well. All in all I can say my experience was good, no complaints.

My younger brothers had a bit more trouble, all because they were younger and less mobile, so it was harder to put together a group of friends not attached to the Church. I think that could be cured by living in an area that is a little less Mormon than Pleasant View was in those days. One way I look at it is that when I moved to Utah in the 60s I came as a white person from the segregated south and we treated the black minority in Florida much more poorly than the Mormons treated us. Years later we lived in Farmington, which is also pretty Mormon with a 15 year old son of our own, no problems there either.

There will always be people who don’t like you and don’t treat you well, Mormon or not fortunately they are a minority of the population anywhere. I think the Mormons are no worse, and maybe a little better than the average.

We moved back to Florida a few years ago, but not to get away from the Mormons, it was the snow that got to me, and the lack of good beaches and saltwater with fish in it.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 AM

1,819 posts, read 7,381,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorob View Post
We moved back to Florida a few years ago, but not to get away from the Mormons, it was the snow that got to me, and the lack of good beaches and saltwater with fish in it.
LOL -- the Great Salt Lake wasn't good enough for you?
Seriously, I grew to love the ocean when I lived in Virginia, and my only complaint about Utah's geography is how landlocked the state is.

As for the school situation -- I don't have kids that age, but my impression is that the Salt Lake and Granite schools have lots of non-LDS kids.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:00 AM

Alligatorob, it is 30 something degrees today in Salt Lake City and icy from the rain/snow last night. I sure would love to be sitting on one of those Florida beaches right now!

Old 11-15-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
LOL -- the Great Salt Lake wasn't good enough for you? .
I don't know if brine shrimp qualify as fish Ha!

Old 11-15-2006, 07:35 PM

Thank you all sooooooo much.. its been very helpful.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 PM

37 posts, read 198,769 times
I love East Millcreek, and Skyline is a great high school. Judge Memorial has an interesting dynamic that works well for some students, but if your concern is simply education, I would trust the public schools. Home values have exploded recently, and they are at a plateau right now. If you like an urban atmosphere, I would try 9th and 9th or Sugarhouse. If you prefer suburban neighborhoods, East Millcreek and Holladay are good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area