Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm a transplant. And I've never lived anywhere with as much snow as Utah.

Whenever we get a good amount of snow, I am so amused watching everyone get so serious about their snow removing equipment! Driving through neighborhoods you see them with their snowblowers and 4wheelers with plows. Obviously it has to be done, but am I alone in suspecting that they are dying to take out those snowblowers and get to work?? It looks like an excuse for the adults to be out playing. My Canadian neighbors are out there day and night, plowing, shovelling and even sweeping their drive/sidewalk. I swear my neighbors are in competition with each other to plow more neighbor's drives than the next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:15 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
Really? Send your neighbors my way, please! They're welcome to add my driveway to their total! The snow is so much worse this year, we're about to throw in the towel and buy a snowblower. Most years it's just not necessary. I guess a sure way to bring the drought back would be to invest in lots of expensive snow removal equipment, lol.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM

111 posts, read 625,834 times
Funny that you posted this, Lola...because I noticed the same thing too!

People are so diligent about their sidewalks! Coming from Southern Cali when 1) there's no snow and 2) hardly anyone does their own yardwork (they always hire - at least in the neighborhoods I've lived in), I'm very impressed at how Utahns are so great about doing their own yards!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
My new neighbor has a 4-wheeler with a plow. He plows all the sidewalks on the block. He plowed my driveway after our biggest snowstorm. I worked with another neighbor to refurbish an old snowblower. We just finished it about 10 days ago. I’m dying to give it a good workout. Unfortunately (or fortunately for others) last week’s storms missed us almost entirely. Yesterday, we got maybe 2 inches of snow. My parents-in-law live 8 miles away. They got 11 inches. I’ve never lived in a place with such variable micro weather patterns as Utah.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 AM

56 posts, read 213,088 times
Default This is ssooo funny I love it....

I was just talking to someone about this last night. I need to buy my neighbors a gift or something because whenever it snows they are always out clearing side walks and drives..including ours!!!! The thing is we don't care about snow in our drive we can drive and walk though it. Its nice of them for sure. I think it just gives people something to do.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
I too think that part of the reason they do it is for exercise. The Canadian neighbors that I refered to (who are not the only shovelers I have, but the most frequent!!) are in their mid 70's!! Chaz...give me your address, I'll bet they show!!

And I wonder about how to say thank you too!! I can't send them cookies, cause their all busy making us poor baking-impaired cookies and bread too. We had a tree cut down, and another ELDERY neighbor was here for days removing it. To thank me, his wife baked me a cake

Love these people!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
We came home from watching the Super Bowl at my parents house to find our driveway cleared of snow. My hubby really wanted to thank someone, but we have no idea who did it.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM

104 posts, read 310,631 times
So are you telling me I can't just run out and pay the county plow guy 20 bucks to do my driveway!
That's what we do in PA. Got to get up early though!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
In SLC, there is a city ordinance that yuo have to clear your sidewalk in 24 hrs after a snowfall. Some people ignore it. I wouldn't want to be liable for anyone slipping on my sidewalk. In my neighborhood, the guys with the big blowers do all the sidewalks 'cause they like being macho and having fun!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 PM

104 posts, read 310,631 times
I need to find a macho man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area