Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:40 PM

41 posts, read 74,672 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I've been shopping around for a new place to live, and I've found some very promising areas throughout the western US. Salt Lake City/Park City is definitely an area of interest! Eventually, I'll head out that way and actually start investigating real options.

However, for the time being, I'm having a hard time finding the right place for me in the SLC area. I really don't want to live in the city. In fact, my dream is to build a cozy 800-sq. ft. cabin in some snowy wilderness.

The problem is, I'm trying to stay with 30 minutes of a big city (like SLC) to enjoy an active social life, and close enough to the mountains for skiing on a whim (less than an hour). I've found some empty lots in my price range, but they have HOAs which want 1500+ sq. foot houses with 2+ car garages.

This leads to my 2 questions:
1) Is there a neighborhood in the SLC/Park City area where a cozy little cabin would fit right in?
2) If not, are there any areas in the whole snowy, mountainous areas of Utah that would be good alternatives (remembering that I'm trying to stay close to cities/ski resorts)?

This is a lot easier outside of Denver because the mountains are a little farther from the city.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 04:59 PM

388 posts, read 549,138 times
I assume you must have budget restrictions?

Old 12-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
I assume you must have budget restrictions?
I mean, I can't go crazy. I could probably do up to $100k for a lot (and that'd be stretching my budget). There are tons of lots in the area for sale in the $60k-80k range. The ones that really grabbed my attention (due to their close proximity to SLC and PC) were in the Summit Park area. They require a 1,500 sq. ft. single-story home, or a multiple story home with at least 1200 feet on the bottom floor and 800 feet on the top.

The more I look, the more convinced I am that I'll end up in Colorado. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it'd be nice to find more options that meet my criteria. It kind of sucks when you can only find one single option, so that's what you have to go with.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Emigration canyon (84108) has those homes but pricey. Davis county has them as well bountiful (Mueller park area - 84010), fruit heights and maybe centerville/Farmington as well.

Utahrealestate.com is the mls and they have an app.

Last edited by SWFL_Native; 12-17-2016 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-17-2016, 07:30 PM

388 posts, read 549,138 times
Nowhere great has cheap land within 30 mins of a big city and beautiful outdoor space. 30 mins is called a suburb. That is Draper LOL.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 PM

246 posts, read 320,730 times
Most of the remaining developing land in SLCo is on the west side and is turning into cookie cutter subdivisions.

Copperton will give you a small town feel in the mountains without as high a price tag. It's about 35 minutes to downtown taking Highway 111. Home values look to be in the $160 - $200k range and will be 1500 to 2000 sf. It will take you about 40 minutes to drive east, across town, to get to the cottonwood canyons.

You might find lots that meet your criteria in Henefer to Wanship area. Not too far to Park City, Snow Basin or Ogden and might not have the HOA issues.

I don't think you'll do better around Denver. Anything in the canyons near a ski resort has been expensive for a long time.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
Most of the remaining developing land in SLCo is on the west side and is turning into cookie cutter subdivisions.

Copperton will give you a small town feel in the mountains without as high a price tag. It's about 35 minutes to downtown taking Highway 111. Home values look to be in the $160 - $200k range and will be 1500 to 2000 sf. It will take you about 40 minutes to drive east, across town, to get to the cottonwood canyons.

You might find lots that meet your criteria in Henefer to Wanship area. Not too far to Park City, Snow Basin or Ogden and might not have the HOA issues.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into it.

Quote:
I don't think you'll do better around Denver. Anything in the canyons near a ski resort has been expensive for a long time.
There are some places along I-70 towards the mountains (Evergreen, Central City) that actually offer acreage for $55-70k. If Google Maps is accurate, it'd be about 30-40 minutes to central Denver, and about 50-ish minutes to Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain, etc.

Wanship looks like it might be a real option. I'm trying to find some HOA info on house sizes, but I'm not seeing anything -- which might mean there are none, or that I'm getting my hopes up only to be shot down cruelly. EDIT: It also looks like it's a pretty hard area to access due to terrain/snow. Hmm...

Thanks!

Last edited by PalmettoStater; 12-19-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 10:57 AM

246 posts, read 320,730 times
Evergreen is a nice town. I tried to talk my wife into letting me take a job in Denver and moving there. She nixed it. But it is commutable to Denver. I know a guy who lives there and works in Denver. There are also some Grand Junction wineries that retail out of there.

But everything I hear is that I-70 gridlocks with people trying to get up the mountain to ski. You'll want to talk to people over there who are more familiar with it.

Another thought that occurred to me: you might be interested in the Brian Head - Parowan - Cedar City - St. George areas. It's more rural, the skiing maybe isn't as great (I don't know), and the cities aren't that big. But it also gives you easy access to three national parks: Zion, Bryce Canyon, & Capitol Reef (1, 1.5, & 2.5 hour drives respectively). Salt Lake & Vegas would be day trips (3.5 & 2.5 hour drives respectively).

Last edited by Beernik; 12-20-2016 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-20-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
Evergreen is a nice town. I tried to talk my wife into letting me take a job in Denver and moving there. She nixed it. But it is commutable to Denver. I know a guy who lives there and works in Denver. There are also some Grand Junction wineries that retail out of there.

But everything I hear is that I-70 gridlocks with people trying to get up the mountain to ski. You'll want to talk to people over there who are more familiar with it.
According to some other posters, if you can live on the west side of Denver (Golden and beyond), you've already won a big part of the battle. Apparently, at least a part of the gridlock is people trying to get through Denver.

Quote:
Another thought that occurred to me: you might be interested in the Brian Head - Parowan - Cedar City - St. George areas. It's more rural, the skiing maybe isn't as great (I don't know), and the cities aren't that big. But it also gives you easy access to three national parks: Zion, Bryce Canyon, & Capitol Reef (1, 1.5, & 2.5 hour drives respectively). Salt Lake & Vegas would be day trips (3.5 & 2.5 hour drives respectively).
I think if I was doing a small, rural town close to the mountains and a few hours from the big city, I'd go for Pagosa Springs, CO or (if I could find land cheap enough) Frisco, CO. There might be some places in eastern Utah that fit that bill, too.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:01 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Have you looked on the Utah mls and checked out 84108? There are a handful of lots up emmigration meeting your criteria? Otherwise I'd suggest having this thread locked and moved to Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area