Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,729 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to the Salt Lake City area. We are thinking of going north of Salt Lake City because my husband's job will be near the airport and he wants no more than a 30 minutes commute. He is an amatuer astronomer so we'd like fairly dark skies. We have a 22 month old daughter. I will eventually homeschool her, but we'd like parks and other kids. We are non-Mormon, but don't have a problem with those who are. We'd also like to avoid flooding of course. Would North Salt Lake, Bountiful or Farmington fit our requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times
I think those communities would fit your requirements, except for the dark skies. It’s pretty well lit up. If he will be working at the airport, you might also consider living west of town. Traffic would be better. I live west and its 15 minutes by freeway to the airport. Definitely not dark at night – I can see the lights of downtown and the U quite easily. If you go another 10-15 minutes west you can get to Tooele Valley, where the skies may be slightly darker, but even that is growing quite rapidly.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Tooele County has great dark skies... At least in Stansbury Park. There is also an awesome observatory that is free to use. Stansbury does not have street lighting for that particular reason.

My dad works for Delta and it takes him around 45 minutes to get to work (but he is also a very slow driver!). That is from Tooele City...Stansbury is about another 20 minutes closer than that.

I know that Tooele County has a homeschooling group and is loaded with kids!

Being non-mormon in Utah is a non-issue...unless one makes it that way

Good luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Thanks a lot Kaytidid!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Thank you Coolcats!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
I am here in SLC checking it out. I drove up to North Salt Lake/ Bountiful one day and hated it up there. The drive from SLC to Bountiful and points north is just as ugly and smelly as the NJ Turnpike where it runs through the industrial areas. Maybe Bountiful is OK once you are off the highway, but personally I would never consider it with it's proximity to the Industrial areas. The towns south of the airport, like Taylorsvile area seem much nicer. I'm not sure how the commute would be from Midvale, Murray or West Jordan, but at least you're not driving through Hell!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:29 AM

494 posts, read 1,897,438 times
Default West Jordan to Airport

I live on the western side of West Jordan, and it is about 30-35 minutes to the airport. The skies out here ARE NOT dark, mostly because of the proximity to Kennecott Copper.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 AM

494 posts, read 1,897,438 times
Default Stansbury Park

I also agree with the post RE: Stansbury Park. It is a very nice community. I would move there in a heartbeat if I didn't work in Sandy (commute is over 1 hour).

Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Yes, it is a terrific place to live! We have lived here for 7 years and I would never live anywhere else

Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Quote:
I drove up to North Salt Lake/ Bountiful one day and hated it up there. The drive from SLC to Bountiful and points north is just as ugly and smelly as the NJ Turnpike where it runs through the industrial areas
Yeah, H and I were discussing this as we drove s to SLC recently. We joke that the ugliness in that area is a ploy to keep people from exploring north!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area