Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 899 times

Advertisements

Hello

My husband's job is transferring him to Orem, UT and I just have a few questions. He is age 30; I am 26. We have 3 boys, ages 7, 3, and 2, and currently 4 weeks pregnant with another(hopefully a girl this time ). We consider ourselves pretty conservative and are also Baptist. I know that UT has a large LDS population (which we have no problem with whatsoever), but we are a little worried about not being accepted. I have read that if you aren't LDS dont move here, but I am hoping that's just an exaggeration. We have no friends or family up there, so we would like to meet people and get involved with the community.

Any suggestions on a church that is either Baptist or non-denominational would be helpful. I have found a few places online, but would love to hear from people that actually live there. Lol

We would love to live in a fairly conservative city/county, however we've lived in Houston our whole lives, so we are used to being in a more liberal setting if needed. Lol we typically get along with everyone, but its always nice to be around people that share somewhat of the same views. We are definitely a minority in our part of town currently.

I was looking into American Fork, and it seems like a very nice city, but I would love any suggestions on better places that aren't too far from Orem. My husband would like his commute to be 30 minutes or less. We obviously would like a community-oriented, family-friendly area. My oldest is upset about leaving his friends, and I just want to make sure that he will have an easy adjustment, and be able to get involved with things that will help him meet people. Also, how are youth sports there?

I have read that air quality isn't too great, but is it any worse than Houston?

We will be living in an extended stay temporarily until we find a nice house to rent. We would like to spend $1500 or less a month IF POSSIBLE; I understand that can be a pretty low budget in some places. We will eventually be buying a house once we are comfortable with the area.

I know that the weather is going to be a total shock to us. Our winters usually mean about 60 degrees. Lol, any other southerners that have advice on how to get used to it? If that's even possible! Lol

Also, since I am currently pregnant - good OBGYNs and hospitals that you would recommend?

I'm sure I have a lot of other questions, but I cant think of any currently. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csn1991 View Post
Hello

My husband's job is transferring him to Orem, UT and I just have a few questions. He is age 30; I am 26. We have 3 boys, ages 7, 3, and 2, and currently 4 weeks pregnant with another(hopefully a girl this time ). We consider ourselves pretty conservative and are also Baptist. I know that UT has a large LDS population (which we have no problem with whatsoever), but we are a little worried about not being accepted. I have read that if you aren't LDS dont move here, but I am hoping that's just an exaggeration. We have no friends or family up there, so we would like to meet people and get involved with the community.
I would strongly suggest that you consider moving north of Utah County, which is the most highly-concentrated LDS county in the most highly-concentrated state in the country. It's not that you and your family will be shunned or anything like that, but Mormons are so involved in church-related activities that it can seem sometimes as if they don't have time for anything or anyone else. The commute from Draper or even the southern part of Sandy would not be all that bad, and I suspect you'd be much happier somewhere where there was a little more religious diversity.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I moved from Mississippi to Salt Lake and then to Dallas. I loved the weather in SLC! Dry cold is not NEAR as bad as wet cold. The humidity in Utah is nothing to speak of. People would start complaining how humidity it was when it got to 35-40%. What a laugh! Coming from Houston, you will appreciate the drier air.

Seriously, I had a full-length down coat that I wore maybe 4 times in the winter. The rest of the time I used a PolarTec fleece jacket.

Many houses have "swamp coolers' which are evaporative coolers. They work quite well in the dry air. I sometimes had to turn mine off in the summer when it got too cold in the house. DOn't be afraid of them.

Take al the LDS people's advice and more closer to LSC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area