U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,039 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband is considering taking a position at Salt Lake International Airport. Where would be a good place to live? I am a nurse and can get a job just about anywhere. We have 4 children ages 12, 11, 9, and 3. We would like to stay away from any unsafe or crime ridden areas. Our budget for homes is $340,000 to $425,000 for at least a 4 bedroom. How expensive are the property taxes there? We've lived in Illinois and Florida and property taxes were so expensive... between $4,000 and $6,000 a year on $300,000 homes. I've heard the public schools there have large class sizes and are not well funded.

What are the pros/cons to this area? I'm moving from a small-town, redneck area in Florida, where the only nice thing is the beach.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:23 PM

26,305 posts, read 27,604,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGirl25 View Post
Hi my husband is considering taking a position at Salt Lake International Airport. Where would be a good place to live? I am a nurse and can get a job just about anywhere. We have 4 children ages 12, 11, 9, and 3. We would like to stay away from any unsafe or crime ridden areas. Our budget for homes is $340,000 to $425,000 for at least a 4 bedroom. How expensive are the property taxes there? We've lived in Illinois and Florida and property taxes were so expensive... between $4,000 and $6,000 a year on $300,000 homes. I've heard the public schools there have large class sizes and are not well funded.

What are the pros/cons to this area? I'm moving from a small-town, redneck area in Florida, where the only nice thing is the beach.
You could get a nice house in the price-range you're looking at in Cottonwood Heights. I have lived her for 35 years, and used to work very near to the airport. It took me 25 minutes to make the drive. You can, as a matter of fact, expect less than a 30-minute drive from Cottonwood Heights to pretty much either end of the Salt Lake Valley, so the location is just about perfect.

As a life-long Salt Laker who has lived in five different parts of the city over a 68-year period of time, I can strongly recommend this area. Many of the people here are retired and empty-nesters, but almost everybody who is moving in has young children. There is a brand new elementary school here (Butler), as well as an almost new junior high (Butler Jr.). Of course they aren't the only schools in the area. I mention them just an evidence of the changing demographics of the area. The Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center is unsurpassed, and you are just minutes away from the beautiful Cottonwood Canyons and ski resorts.

I'm guessing our house is worth just about what you're looking to pay, and our property taxes are around $2,200 per year.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 PM

2,499 posts, read 6,684,379 times
You can check out Stansbury Park. It's a nice area, a planned development. We have a hospital located in Tooele which is 10 minutes up the road and the airport is about 25 minutes of a easy freeway drive. The neighborhood has a lot of kids, very safe, good schools and you could get a gorgeous home for that budget. I've lived here for 15 years and love it.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:46 PM

8,476 posts, read 5,638,361 times
Depending on where you're looking to buy $425k won't go very far. To get somewhat better value you're looking at south salt lake county, tooele/stansbury, or south Davis county. The further south you go in salt lake the more commute your husband will have to the airport. There are chokepoints N/S bound where everyone is going through at the same time. Going west or north are likely slightly better options.

You might look at a few places in west valley or West Jordan off 5600W. There is newer cheaper construction there but can't speak to their schools. The west side of the valley has the stigma of being less safe but aside from a few areas I think that is false.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:43 PM

163 posts, read 289,587 times
It's funny how we all weigh in so predictably about the "best" places to live. I recommend the communities in south Davis County, such as Bountiful, Centerville, Farmington, Kaysville and Fruit Heights. Nice safe suburban neighborhoods with plenty of homes in your price range, and schools that are among the best in Utah.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
You can check out Stansbury Park. It's a nice area, a planned development. We have a hospital located in Tooele which is 10 minutes up the road and the airport is about 25 minutes of a easy freeway drive. The neighborhood has a lot of kids, very safe, good schools and you could get a gorgeous home for that budget. I've lived here for 15 years and love it.
Stansbury Park is 45 minutes from the airport on Google maps. Looks too far away for us.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee499 View Post
It's funny how we all weigh in so predictably about the "best" places to live. I recommend the communities in south Davis County, such as Bountiful, Centerville, Farmington, Kaysville and Fruit Heights. Nice safe suburban neighborhoods with plenty of homes in your price range, and schools that are among the best in Utah.
We'd like to live in Davis county but it seems like homes we can afford are either built in the 80's and extremely outdated or near a refinery in Woods Cross. We have time to look and wait around for the right house. Where are desirable areas that aren't full of elderly in the neighborhood? I don't mind an older home as long as it's updated and has a decent layout.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:15 PM

2,499 posts, read 6,684,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGirl25 View Post
Stansbury Park is 45 minutes from the airport on Google maps. Looks too far away for us.
I live in Stansbury Park and I promise it isn't 45 minutes away! It's more along the lines of 20 minutes barring any traffic fubars.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 PM

163 posts, read 289,587 times
Agree that there's not much available in your price range in either Bountiful or Centerville right now, but I'm seeing a few newer home choices in Farmington and Kaysville. The housing market is pretty hot right now, and desirable, well-priced houses seem to sell pretty quickly. It will calm down after school starts and that might be a better time to house hunt. Rest assured - there are lots of great houses in family neighborhoods. Maybe you just need a good realtor to help you get pointed in the right direction.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:38 PM

914 posts, read 891,382 times
I can recommend a realtor. Cottonwood heights is fab as is some of Holladay and Sandy etc only 25 mins from airport tops. Good schools etc by Utah standards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area