Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 11:59 AM

166 posts, read 240,773 times

Advertisements

I am not a realtor and we're relatively new to the area. We love it and hope you both come to love it as well.

We spent several years looking for the 'right' home. I work from home and my wife is retired so it could have been anywhere. Your commutes narrow the parameters. If you are looking for property and newer homes you might add Emigration Canyon to your search. This is an unincorporated area just east of the SLC. I suggest the north side of the Canyon as you will get more sunshine - especially in the winter.

We are not LDS and this is not an issue for us. You may want to consider if it is an issue for you. Salt Lake County is 50% LDS while Utah County (Draper) is much higher (80%?).

There are a couple of oil refineries in the N. Salt Lake / southern Davis County area. You should make sure to visit the homes to ensure that these are not distractions for you. That said there are some beautiful homes in this area.

My wife is also vegan and agrees with the OP - she's in heaven here! We can offer many of our favorites if you'd like - and they're not just vegan only options.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 12:04 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
those 2 Draper homes (especially that 2nd one for me) does it. Love the backyards they did (the one in Bountiful is lifeless). Lot's of personal choice I guess
I completely agree about the yards. I'd be busy for months getting that Bountiful home's back yard looking how I want it (would take even longer, of course, for things to grow and mature). I love a gorgeous, peaceful back yard, my "haven" and "happy place." (I'm out in mine in TX right now. I always feel like I'm on vacation when I'm out here, sigh.)

Some of the houses on our list may be too close to a major road. I don't want to hear traffic noise. Oddly, I've noticed a lot of houses I've seen online have a little waterfall in their back yard (something I haven't seen anywhere else I've lived, unless it was part of a swimming pool). I wondered if people have waterfalls partly to cover up other noise.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
We built a waterfall in our backyard when we first did the landscaping after moving in. Built up a 9ft berm to add privacy and a nice natural touch to the backyard. However we fairly quickly learned running it on a continuous basis in the warm weather upped our water AND electric bill to the point we stopped using it. If you have deep pockets it's a great way to go. We don't however so had to abandon use of it. That Draper yard with the brook and little foot bridge is priceless. What a great place to hang out.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:51 PM

166 posts, read 240,773 times
The real estate listings generally call these 'water features'. They seem popular here though I wouldn't call it common. These can range from a very small fountain to full on ponds. I will never buy a home with a swimming pool again but the pond that came with our home provides much more serenity than I ever expected. The bedroom windows open toward it so we listen to the water fall at night. Our 'haven'. In our case this was not put in to mask noise. The electric bill increases in the summertime but it's worth it to see all the birds that come and visit (lots of humming birds recently). Not so good when the rattle snakes come down from the hills but we can't control mother nature as much as we'd like.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:57 PM

388 posts, read 548,806 times
Have a look at the houses listed off Maple crt road Draper (Off Traverse) , there is one in a circle that I think would be a much nicer location than the Draper heights house have and is more modern. I think the Draper heights yard size might be a lot of watering $$ and yard work and is dated and builder grade for that price.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:33 PM

163 posts, read 318,218 times
These homes are lovely, but I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of commuting to NSL from Draper. I wouldn't do it, and my workplace is off 2100 S.

One thing I wanted to warn you about - I noticed when I was house-hunting last summer that a lot of newer homes on the Bountiful bench don't have secondary irrigation water. I suspect that's why the landscaping is often sparse. Since you seem to enjoy your garden, you'll want to be sure and ask about that.

Plus, I will continue to encourage you to check into Fruit Heights, Kaysville, Farmington, and Centerville. (Search in zipcodes 84037, 84025, or 84014.) I really love the semi-rural feel and there are some very nice properties available. Any of those communities would be a quick and easy commute to NSL.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM

49 posts, read 102,299 times
I can only speak to Cottonwood Heights and Draper listings, as those are the only two cities I have experience living/working/spending much time in.

Something I really love about Cottonwood Heights is that it is close to everything and yet it feels set back or away. I can go to the grocery store and not feel claustrophobic or like the entire valley is there in line. I can turn left without waiting for an eternity... Even the Target and Home Depot in the area don't feel so incredibly packed (unless it's peak shopping season). I don't know if it's that it is older and more established and it was built up before so many giant shopping developments went in or what but I can go to any store and have no more than 1-2 people ahead of me in the checkout line. I can go to the community parks and find somewhere to park -- that type of thing.

Draper, on the other hand, while not as bad as Herriman or South Jordan, is a much newer development and the traffic and crowds for weekend errands, etc. is much more intense.

Both cities are nice - appealing for resale, same school district, etc. -- so what I speak to is truly my opinion but I really like that feeling of space I have in Cottonwood that I don't have when I am in Draper. (There are probably areas in Draper that have more of that feel but they aren't what I know and so I'm going off personal opinion)

Old 07-06-2017, 10:17 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee499 View Post
These homes are lovely, but I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of commuting to NSL from Draper. I wouldn't do it, and my workplace is off 2100 S.

One thing I wanted to warn you about - I noticed when I was house-hunting last summer that a lot of newer homes on the Bountiful bench don't have secondary irrigation water. I suspect that's why the landscaping is often sparse. Since you seem to enjoy your garden, you'll want to be sure and ask about that.

Plus, I will continue to encourage you to check into Fruit Heights, Kaysville, Farmington, and Centerville. (Search in zipcodes 84037, 84025, or 84014.) I really love the semi-rural feel and there are some very nice properties available. Any of those communities would be a quick and easy commute to NSL.
That observation is counter to what I would have said. I'm currently under contract on a home on the bountiful bench. All or most of the homes that we looked at the past few years had south davis county irrigation water.

Attached is the map, anything "above" or east of Bountiful blvd or may not have it. We're just below B Blvd so we have it and the cost is embedded in our property tax (flat rate of $110/year) for unlimited irrigation water supply (assuming no restrictions).

I think some neighborhoods above B Blvd have it but it's spotty.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/c7fd03f0200c...&alloworigin=1

FAQ

Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Not a bad idea! Perspective from the locals could be very valuable!

For anyone who missed my previous posts, we did not really want anything this big or this expensive, but to find a new-ish home with the look/style we like, these are among the best we could find. I'm not going to link the whole list I emailed to our realtor, but here are a few. Feedback welcome!!

4598 S Bountiful Ridge Dr E, Bountiful, UT 84010 - realtor.com®

2952 E Caitland Ct S, Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121 - realtor.com®
I think the Cottonwood Heights house is fantastic. The Bountiful house was also looking very nice, and the back yard was great. Either of those would also be a better commute for your husband (much better) than going down to Utah County.

I am biased against Utah County - I wouldn't want to live there, personally. My favored places are SLC proper, Millcreek, Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, parts of Murray and Midvale, and then up to Bountiful. I do think more and more people are moving to the Northern suburbs. I think the Southern suburbs have gotten a little over-saturated. It used to be all about Draper and Lehi, but now I'm hearing more about people moving to Bountiful or Layton.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:01 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee499 View Post

Secondary irrigation water---that's a term I've never heard of before. I did google it, so now I know a little bit Thanks for the tip! It's not something I would have known to even ask about.

And regarding the commute, I hear you, I wouldn't want it any more. We've lived in many big cities, and had commutes of an hour or two each way in the past. But 45 min to an hour (which is what hub's employees claim it takes from NSL to Draper) just doesn't faze him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area