Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been considering a move to Park City. I'm 25 years old and I currently live in San Diego. After a couple years in San Diego, I'm looking for a change of scenery and pace. Last year, I visited Park City and fell in love with the area. In general, I loved Utah when I visited, and began to do my research on the move. While I liked Park City the most, I know it's more expensive than other parts in the state, and Utah overall isn't very diverse (I'm mixed- Latina in appearance) and I a non-Mormon. Would I have to worry about acceptance and fitting in?

As far as job experience, I have been a marketing coordinator for a couple of non-profits, and worked with the American Marketing Association. However, I started working from home in Customer Support and I occasionally do freelance graphic design work- so as far as employment I am covered so far, but maybe I wouldn't mind something part-time. How does the job market look out there based on my background?

Lastly, how would you rate the night-life and scene for a single person? In most of the threads I've seen, there have been mainly families and couples moving to Park City.

Also, do you have any other suggestions for places to move in Utah? I'm looking into Salt Lake City as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agomezwe View Post
Hello! I have been considering a move to Park City. I'm 25 years old and I currently live in San Diego. After a couple years in San Diego, I'm looking for a change of scenery and pace. Last year, I visited Park City and fell in love with the area. In general, I loved Utah when I visited, and began to do my research on the move. While I liked Park City the most, I know it's more expensive than other parts in the state, and Utah overall isn't very diverse (I'm mixed- Latina in appearance) and I a non-Mormon. Would I have to worry about acceptance and fitting in?

As far as job experience, I have been a marketing coordinator for a couple of non-profits, and worked with the American Marketing Association. However, I started working from home in Customer Support and I occasionally do freelance graphic design work- so as far as employment I am covered so far, but maybe I wouldn't mind something part-time. How does the job market look out there based on my background?

Lastly, how would you rate the night-life and scene for a single person? In most of the threads I've seen, there have been mainly families and couples moving to Park City.

Also, do you have any other suggestions for places to move in Utah? I'm looking into Salt Lake City as well.
Park City probably is the most expensive city in Utah where you could relocate. Of course, there are some specific neighborhoods in Salt Lake City itself that are as expensive. There are just a lot more options in Salt Lake. Salt Lake is roughly 22% Latino, so your appearance here wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary at all. The job market is decent here, but I imagine you are already aware that you'll almost definitely have to take a substantial cut in pay in order to make the move. Salt Lake City proper is currently about 50% LDS, so you wouldn't be part of a tiny minority were you to move here. Typically, the further out of the city you go (into the suburbs and adjacent towns) the greater the LDS population will be and the fewer single people you will encounter.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
I don't think you would have a difficult time building a circle of friends or establishing a sense of belonging as long as you are outgoing. I would want to have a job offer in-hand before I made a move in this day and age. Moving without a source of income is a good way to spend yourself into oblivion. You don't indicate what your budget is for housing-related expenses, and there is a wide disparity between housing costs in Park City and the rest of Utah. Night-life in Park City is decent during the ski season but takes a noticeable dive the rest of the year. Shops and restaurants curtail their hours and the streets become much quieter. Salt Lake City's night-life is more robust than Park City's year-round. However, Salt Lake City, like San Diego, is a more conservative city. There are not a lot of clubs on every corner like Miami Beach, WeHo, or the Meatpacking District.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:49 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agomezwe View Post

Without a solid income I would suggest not living in PC. Downtown SLC is quite diverse and is relatively cheaper for renting options. I like the Aveneues area as a good option for a good neighborhood with access to downtown. KLS has a great classified section for rental option. I’d search 84102, 84103, 84105, 84106, 84108 zips.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:11 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Typically, the further out of the city you go (into the suburbs and adjacent towns) the greater the LDS population will be and the fewer single people you will encounter.
Provo area and Utah County (Northern county at least) have plenty of singles ready to mingle. Endless opportunities.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Provo area and Utah County (Northern county at least) have plenty of singles ready to mingle. Endless opportunities.
Are the "plenty of single" ready to mingle with non-LDS singles?

Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are the "plenty of single" ready to mingle with non-LDS singles?
Yes lol that was my exact situation.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Yes lol that was my exact situation.
Okay! Well, that's good to know. I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area