Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:02 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a stupid question, but are Uber and Lyft both active in the Salt Lake City area? If I fly into the SLC airport, will I be able to request a rideshare car?

I ask this because a couple of years ago I flew to Orlando to buy a car. Before I left my hometown, I went onto Uber's website to get an estimate of a ride from the Orlando airport to another city. But when I actually arrived at the airport and tried to request an Uber, I found out that due to city regulations my only options were the high end Uber service or SUVs, or taking a local taxi service. My ride ended up costing me much more than I had anticipated based on the estimate I got from Uber's website.

If I only plan to make a short 2 day trip to SLC and expect to spend all of my time in SLC proper or the surrounding areas in the valley (I don't imagine I'll have to go any farther than to Cottonwood Heights or Midvale), do you think I'd be better off renting a car for that time or just using Uber to get around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,878 times
Another option to consider is the Trax system. They go all over and may be more affordable.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Another option to consider is the Trax system. They go all over and may be more affordable.
I'm aware of the UTA TRAX system, and that UTA operates buses in SLC as well. But as someone who rarely uses public transit, I'm not sure I want to take the time to have to learn it in a city that I'll only be visiting for a short time.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 PM

57 posts, read 128,282 times
manyroads -- Yes to both Uber & Lyft. My son-in-law actually drives for Uber and constantly is picking up from SLC airport. Hope that helps!

Old 08-14-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berly57 View Post
manyroads -- Yes to both Uber & Lyft. My son-in-law actually drives for Uber and constantly is picking up from SLC airport. Hope that helps!
Thanks, berly57!

Old 08-18-2018, 02:03 PM

272 posts, read 270,496 times
2-4 Uber rides is about the cost of a cheap rental from a major rental company or turo.

I would just rent a car.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:55 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
I vote for a rental car too. Salt Lake is not a crowded city. The street numbering system makes it easy to find your way around. I prefer to drive myself around. If the OP does it a rental car is definitely the best option.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Toll roads in SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
2-4 Uber rides is about the cost of a cheap rental from a major rental company or turo.

I would just rent a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I vote for a rental car too. Salt Lake is not a crowded city. The street numbering system makes it easy to find your way around. I prefer to drive myself around. If the OP does it a rental car is definitely the best option.
I did decide to rent a car. Now, my only concern is which roads around SLC have tolls on them? I have an E-Z Pass that works on highways here in the East, but not sure that will work in your area on toll roads.
I expect I'll be driving anywhere between the airport and Sandy during my visit. Not further to the north and won't be heading into the mountains. Do the I-15 or I-215 have tolls on them? What roads should I avoid if I don't want to pay tolls?

Old 08-19-2018, 10:32 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I did decide to rent a car. Now, my only concern is which roads around SLC have tolls on them? I have an E-Z Pass that works on highways here in the East, but not sure that will work in your area on toll roads.
I expect I'll be driving anywhere between the airport and Sandy during my visit. Not further to the north and won't be heading into the mountains. Do the I-15 or I-215 have tolls on them? What roads should I avoid if I don't want to pay tolls?
Just don't use the high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane on the interstates and you'll be fine. There are no toll roads in Utah.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just don't use the high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane on the interstates and you'll be fine. There are no toll roads in Utah.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area