Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Next summer you daughter could try a float trip down the Provo river which is always fun (but cold).
Much more run would be a whitewater rafting trip down Westwater (a stretch of the Colorado) near Moab. There's nothing in the state that can beat that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 11:10 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Much more run would be a whitewater rafting trip down Westwater (a stretch of the Colorado) near Moab. There's nothing in the state that can beat that!
yes that is another great option, we've done it and it was great!

I want to try a trip down the Yampa

https://www.oars.com/adventures/yampa-river-rafting/

They have a trip that is 4 or 5 days depending on where you put in. The yampa goes right through dinosaur national park and is one of the longest free-flowing undammed rivers in the west. They limit the # of boating permits that travel through there so you're very isolated and relatively alone outside of your group. You stay overnight and riverside while your guides cook for you.

The reviews and picture look phenomenal... maybe besides alaska one of the few remaining "frontier" trips where you can have an adventure in almost complete isolation.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Moab_Utah.html

Old 10-18-2018, 05:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
I had an opportunity to visit SLC years ago in the 80's I believe it was. My husband was on a business trip so I had a few days to explore on my own. Totally wowed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, even though it was a rehearsal, it gave me chills -- the sound of those voices is amazing and serene at the same time.

Also visited Trolley Square and dropped a few dollars in some of the stores in there, loved Trolley Square. Is it still there ? Shopped at a few of the Mormon owned department stores and brought back some treasures. Did one afternoon taking in the tour with the movie about Joseph Smith and his beginnings, if I remember correctly, it was so interesting. Went up into the mountains on the tram, loved that, had dinner at a restaurant that seemed to be on the side of a mountain, loved it. Another day I took the rental car and went to a 'beach'. The brine flies were in full gear, so I didn't get out of the car … but I recall the beautiful color of the water. Being a swimmer, for me, that was a letdown.

But the most memorable thing that happened was that I must have left my credit card at one of the stores in Trolley Square, or at the large department store nearby. Later on that day, the concierge at the hotel knocked on our door and presented me with my husband's credit card. Amazing! They must have looked up the name at a few hotels, as I recall there weren't that many, and found our last name. It was an amazing gesture that obviously I will never forget. Anyone could have run that card in those days and had themselves a great old time. The honesty and effort that was put into returning that credit card to us was and is remembered as wonderful kind people making the effort to do the right thing.

I would love to go back and walk thru the beautiful city again, and next time do the full choir with a service, if allowed. You are all blessed to be in that area, relish it.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I had an opportunity to visit SLC years ago in the 80's I believe it was. My husband was on a business trip so I had a few days to explore on my own. Totally wowed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, even though it was a rehearsal, it gave me chills -- the sound of those voices is amazing and serene at the same time.

Also visited Trolley Square and dropped a few dollars in some of the stores in there, loved Trolley Square. Is it still there ? Shopped at a few of the Mormon owned department stores and brought back some treasures. Did one afternoon taking in the tour with the movie about Joseph Smith and his beginnings, if I remember correctly, it was so interesting. Went up into the mountains on the tram, loved that, had dinner at a restaurant that seemed to be on the side of a mountain, loved it. Another day I took the rental car and went to a 'beach'. The brine flies were in full gear, so I didn't get out of the car … but I recall the beautiful color of the water. Being a swimmer, for me, that was a letdown.

But the most memorable thing that happened was that I must have left my credit card at one of the stores in Trolley Square, or at the large department store nearby. Later on that day, the concierge at the hotel knocked on our door and presented me with my husband's credit card. Amazing! They must have looked up the name at a few hotels, as I recall there weren't that many, and found our last name. It was an amazing gesture that obviously I will never forget. Anyone could have run that card in those days and had themselves a great old time. The honesty and effort that was put into returning that credit card to us was and is remembered as wonderful kind people making the effort to do the right thing.

I would love to go back and walk thru the beautiful city again, and next time do the full choir with a service, if allowed. You are all blessed to be in that area, relish it.
Trolley Square is still there, but is nowhere like it was in the 80s. Nowadays, the best place for shopping is City Creek Center, right downtown, across from Temple Square.

I'm sorry about your experience at the Great Salt Lake. Even if the brine flies hadn't been out to get you, it's really not a place you'd want to go swimming. It's fun to experience floating in the lake, though.

Finally, yes, you absolutely can attend an actual Tabernacle Choir performance. They take place every Sunday morning.

It was so gratifying to hear about your credit card! I had a similar thing happen in England when we went on a 30-day road trip there three years ago. I left my entire purse on a bench at a bus stop in a very small village in Yorkshire, and didn't discover it was missing until we'd been on the road an hour and a half. It had not only our credit cards in it but our passports! When we went back to the little village, we discovered that some kind soul had turned it in at the local pub. Our vacation (which was just half over at that time) was salvaged and I will be forever grateful to whoever found and turned in my purse and all of its contents.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-18-2018 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area