Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:38 AM

82 posts, read 355,031 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a new city to live in and I want to go west again because of the milder weather than east. I don't really want to live very far south. I prefer a large city too, and that leaves a few cities such as Portland and Salt Lake. I've been around a number of forums, but never posted here in Salt Lake's forum. I only started paying attention to this forum recently. Is there anyone who knows if the smog is visible in a way similar to the L.A. area? I like that the area has rail and is building more. Is Sundance film festival for the public or for insiders? Can you even drive to Park City in the winter when they have the festival? I'm a young single male, a humanist, would finish college there, am progressive minded with my beliefs but am rather conservative in demeanor, and a clean, sober-minded person who's personality seems to fit Salt Lake. I've only passed through Salt Lake and the area a couple of times. So, I just wanted to introduce myself to any regulars on here! Why do you out there reading my post like Salt Lake? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
Thumbs up You Will Like Salt Lake

Jack7y,

I think that you will like living in the Salt Lake Area. I live in Daybreak in South Jordan, but I lived in the Sugarhouse area for years. The neighborhood is close to everything including the University of Utah which will probably fit your needs as a student. The smog can be bad here. We are in between two mountain ranges that trap the smog in the valley and we have to wait for the weather to clear it out. However this is usually only the winter. UTA (Utah Transit Authority) is buiding more transit in the area. There is a rail line that goes directly to the U from downtown. Go to Welcome to UTA for maps, costs, etc. I will have to defer to someone else to answer the question about Sundance. Many of my friends have gone there and haven't had too many probems that I know of. Hope this helps.

Daybreak411 - Blog at DAYBREAK TODAY

Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I think that Utah residents can get tickets to certain Sundance screenings just in the same fashion they get tickets for a concert....meaning stand in line or go online.

You can drive through Parley's canyon to get from the Salt Lake valley to Park City during the winter. But keep in mind, it can be a pretty nasty drive. I am a Utah native and overall feel that our state's snow removal plan and process is quite good.

I live in a suburb south of Salt Lake. Mostly a family neighborhood, but I'm single with no kids. I enjoy my neighborhood and know most of my neighbors. I can't stand humidity and I can tolerate the Utah summers a lot better because they are so dry. Also, I'm so used to having mountain ranges both to the east and west of me that when I go to areas without prominant mountains, (no hills) I have a hard time finding my way around. I never really appreciated their beauty until I went to other states and saw what they call mountains.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,974 times
Hi eggalegga
you said you live south of salt lake, south where exactly? I am looking at the holladay area i am going to work at the canyons. good idea? or somewhere else?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM

82 posts, read 355,031 times
Default Daybreak, Park City, rail

Daybreak sounds interesting. Is it a new urbanist development? I went to the blog, but it didn't look right. I think it might not have downloaded the web page right?

I think it would be great to have an apartment along a light rail station even if I've got a car. It would be great to save on parking, gas and not have to do the driving.

I guess the drive to Park City is possible in winter, but it depends on the weather. At least blizzards don't seem to stop the city down in the valley like they do east of the Rockies. One of the worst things about winter east of the Rockies is the wind too. The lack of wind compared to other places will feel great, but I guess it's a trade-off because that leads to the inversions?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM

I live in Taylorsville. I think Holladay is a great place to live....especially if you're going to work at The Canyons. Holladay is a lot more expensive than Taylorsville....I couldn't afford to live there but it is a very nice area of Salt Lake.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Also, I'm so used to having mountain ranges both to the east and west of me that when I go to areas without prominant mountains, (no hills) I have a hard time finding my way around. I never really appreciated their beauty until I went to other states and saw what they call mountains.
That's funny because I've never lived close to real monutains like that, and when I was visiting the city checking it out, seeing the mountains helped me keep my bearings, driving around in an unfamiliar area.

Views like this out my car window blew me away!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Those are nice pics! I have a favorite view heading down the freeway (215) in my car as you are heading east on 215 and you pass the redwood road exit. The view of the mountains there blew me away from the very first moment I moved here from Jersey. Gotta love these mountains!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Those are nice pics! I have a favorite view heading down the freeway (215) in my car as you are heading east on 215 and you pass the redwood road exit. The view of the mountains there blew me away from the very first moment I moved here from Jersey. Gotta love these mountains!
Thanks! These photos were taken on 215 but I'm not sure where. Yeah, it's a little more spectacular than anything in NJ!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM

The first one looks like the Dan's Foods at 3900 South Wasatch Drive (approximately 3500 East)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area