Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 07:37 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,777,868 times

Advertisements

Any advice re: job for 16 yr old in SLC? Kid lives near 7th E and S. Temple, could walk, bike, take public transportation. I'm shocked to see that minimum wage for teens for the first three months is $4.25/hr, but do places pay better than that? Even minimum wage of $7.25 seems low. What about going rate for babysitting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times
He/she could work at liberty park hoggle zoo clark planetarium or get out game. There also a few coffee shops in the aves that would be convenient.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 PM

10,721 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Any advice re: job for 16 yr old in SLC? Kid lives near 7th E and S. Temple, could walk, bike, take public transportation. I'm shocked to see that minimum wage for teens for the first three months is $4.25/hr, but do places pay better than that? Even minimum wage of $7.25 seems low. What about going rate for babysitting?
Minimum wage seems low? How much value do you believe your 16 year old would be adding to an employers bottom line?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:50 AM

338 posts, read 310,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Minimum wage seems low? How much value do you believe your 16 year old would be adding to an employers bottom line?
Wow, is that judgemental. I'm sure some 16 year olds don't add much value to an employer's bottom line - and the same could be said about any other age. Kids need a chance at a real job to learn. And some of them actually rely on that money to help support their family, believe it or not.

My first "legal" job was working as a server at IHOP at age fifteen. I was one of their top employees. For years afterwards, whenever I'd be visiting home from college and eating there with my family, the owner would try to convince me to come back.

I also worked at a vet's office from age 16-17. Chick-fil-a hires beginning at age 14 (they used to, haven't checked lately).

Parentologist, what does the sixteen year old like to do? That night be a good starting point.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:59 PM

Oh, Ivy, you make me laugh! As if liking has anything to do with it!

But seriously, he's a great kid, straight A honors student, also an extraordinarily talented and high achieving musician. He's been teaching instrumental music since he was about 13 yrs old. He would have been at music camp this summer, but it's been cancelled. He'd be a wonderful employee at whatever he finds, but honestly, I was shocked at the low minimum wage in Utah for teens, and couldn't believe that even entry level fast food or supermarket baggers could be paid that little. That's why I posted - I wanted to hear from some parents of current teen workers what the actual going rate was. Meanwhile, I found that in SLC even a 14 year old mother's helper type babysitter charges $10/hr, and the going rate for older teen/college age sitters is $15/hr.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Well, let's see. If he's working as a counter cashier at a busy fast food restaurant (a position often filled by teens, and one without which the restaurant cannot operate), say he's taking an order, ringing up, and handing back an order every 2 minutes on average, and say each order is $15. So he's an essential part of processing about $450/hr, x 8 hrs, roughly $4000/shift. Of course, there's the cost of the food, the building, the workers preparing the food, the equipment, the supervisor. But that job is crucial. The restaurant cannot run without it. And I would say that it likely is worth more than enough money to buy two meals a day, which is what 8 hours at $4.75/hr, after the most minimal mandatory taxes are taken out, would pay. It's truly a starvation wage, which is why I cannot imagine that any parent would allow their child to do it for $4.75/hr. Heck, I wouldn't allow my child to do it for the ADULT minimum wage of $7.25/hr. And I find it hard to believe that ANYONE in the tight labor market in SLC is able to attract any worker, teen or not, to do any work for less than $12/hr, which is why I didn't ask, "How much value does my 16 yr old bring to an employer's bottom line?" I asked, "What's the prevailing wage market for teenaged workers in SLC?" When it comes down to it, workers are worth exactly what the prevailing market will pay - no more, no less.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Oh, Ivy, you make me laugh! As if liking has anything to do with it!

But seriously, he's a great kid, straight A honors student, also an extraordinarily talented and high achieving musician. He's been teaching instrumental music since he was about 13 yrs old. He would have been at music camp this summer, but it's been cancelled. He'd be a wonderful employee at whatever he finds, but honestly, I was shocked at the low minimum wage in Utah for teens, and couldn't believe that even entry level fast food or supermarket baggers could be paid that little. That's why I posted - I wanted to hear from some parents of current teen workers what the actual going rate was. Meanwhile, I found that in SLC even a 14 year old mother's helper type babysitter charges $10/hr, and the going rate for older teen/college age sitters is $15/hr.
Even though minimum wage is only $4.25, when my daughter was sixteen (three years ago) she got her first job and was making $10.50 an hour at Zaxbys. I really haven’t seen too many jobs that actually pay that little.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:29 PM

338 posts, read 310,754 times
Yes, the law states that employers "may" pay $4.25/hr during the first 90 days of employment. Not "must".

There is nothing restricting employers from paying more than that :-)

Old 05-31-2020, 03:45 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Wow, is that judgemental. I'm sure some 16 year olds don't add much value to an employer's bottom line - and the same could be said about any other age. Kids need a chance at a real job to learn. And some of them actually rely on that money to help support their family, believe it or not.
That's fine, but you realize that even grown adults with work experience have jobs making minimum wage, right? And yes, many of them support families. Unfortunately, people are not paid according to how much they need the money or why.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:01 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
That's fine, but you realize that even grown adults with work experience have jobs making minimum wage, right? And yes, many of them support families. Unfortunately, people are not paid according to how much they need the money or why.
I sincerely doubt many grown adults are earning $7.25 an hour right now.

Virtually every fast food enterprise in the state of Utah is advertising a starting wage of a couple of dollars an hour above minimum wage to attract scarce applicants. Most of these applicants are teenagers. My kids never had any trouble finding a job that paid more than the minimum wage My twenty year old daughter who has no more than a high school diploma works out-of-state and earns about $18.50 an hour. with benefits. Her biggest problem? She wants to work thirty-five hours a week and they would like her to work forty.

Seriously, I understand the need of businesses to economize. However, if they really can't justify paying someone more than $4.25 an hour for the work they are doing they probably ought to be going in a different direction. Perhaps, automate the work? Or accept the fact that they have to pay more for it than the product is worth and make up the difference somewhere else in their operation? Its called "life". We all don't get everything we want and businesses are no exception.

And, no, I don't think massive unemployment is going to occur if we required businesses to pay a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: