Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:51 PM

606 posts, read 419,977 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am not sure I'll get responses since this board seems fairly inactive. I made a similar post on another board but got fairly useless information. So I want something that's straight to the point.

I visited an aunt in SLC. I've been wanting to get out of the major cities for a few months. While I understand SLC is a city it has a very small town feel and a relatively small population compared to other cities. From what I've seen so far I'd have to give it a 5/10. I didn't like the lack of trees and felt very exposed there. I'm also not used to that kind of environment. But I do want affordable space if I'm going to be stuck at home. And I'm pretty much done with roommates.

My budget is in the $800-$1000 range. I've browsed apartment listings and I'm assuming this is the range for decent apartments.

My aunt lives in the West Valley area. How is that area? I'm looking for something that's fairly quiet. Also how is the homeless population out there? I didn't recall seeing very many where I went but then again I stayed out of the downtown areas. Also how is the city's leadership there?

I'm a bit nervous leaving big city life but with everything that's occured in my personal life and in general, I think it's a good time to pick up.

Information on Utah seems pretty sparse. Is there anything else I need to know? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 04:33 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Hi!

I am not sure I'll get responses since this board seems fairly inactive. I made a similar post on another board but got fairly useless information. So I want something that's straight to the point.

I visited an aunt in SLC. I've been wanting to get out of the major cities for a few months. While I understand SLC is a city it has a very small town feel and a relatively small population compared to other cities. From what I've seen so far I'd have to give it a 5/10. I didn't like the lack of trees and felt very exposed there. I'm also not used to that kind of environment. But I do want affordable space if I'm going to be stuck at home. And I'm pretty much done with roommates.

My budget is in the $800-$1000 range. I've browsed apartment listings and I'm assuming this is the range for decent apartments.

My aunt lives in the West Valley area. How is that area? I'm looking for something that's fairly quiet. Also how is the homeless population out there? I didn't recall seeing very many where I went but then again I stayed out of the downtown areas. Also how is the city's leadership there?

I'm a bit nervous leaving big city life but with everything that's occured in my personal life and in general, I think it's a good time to pick up.

Information on Utah seems pretty sparse. Is there anything else I need to know? Thanks!
You know, this is just a hunch, but I have a gut feeling you wouldn't really like Salt Lake. Starting out with a 5/10 isn't great. There are so many places you might choose to move. I'd try to find one that scores at least 7/10 or 8/10.

That said, yes you could probably find a decent apartment for $800 - $1000. Personally, I would not recommend West Valley City. You must understand that WVC is not a Salt Lake City neighbor, but a city in and of itself, so it's maybe unfair to generalize about it. There are some decent areas in WVC, but overall, it is not considered really that great of an area. There is a homeless problem in various parts of Salt Lake City and in various parts of West Valley City. It's really almost impossible to say without knowing where in WVC you are considering moving. If you can zero in on a smaller area, it would be easier for us to help you out.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:11 PM

The biggest issue is I have no driver's license, and my aunt is willing to help me out with driving. I do plan on enrolling in classes but it will help me save hundreds by having my aunt around. I have taken a few lessons here but they book so quickly. At this point the best I can manage is like 2 classes a week and I've got nobody to help me drive here.

I was going to move to TX. I originally was going to move end of September but a lot of things have changed. I actually have a temporary nursing license so I can work there, but I don't want to move to a car dependant place with no license.

My aunt did mention the neighborhood was lower income. I can't say where exactly she lives or what it's by. I do have an image in my mind. It's near a highway but I'm not sure if that is of much help.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:21 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
You're a nurse, with no driver's license, right? Are you an RN? A BSN? An LPN? A CNA? An APRN?

There are several large, excellent hospitals in a good area of SLC - the U of Utah, and LDS hospital are two. There is public transportation that goes pretty close to the U of Utah, and the neighborhood around LDS hospital is one of the best in the city. If you can get your nursing license in Utah, you could have a pretty nice life in SLC, working in one of the hospitals. And if you're interested in skiing and hiking (you'll find it MUCH easier to get to these activities with a car), you'll find that the canyons offer a wonderful wooded outdoors escape, and they're very close to the city.

Compared to living in an expensive city like LA, NYC, San Francisco, even Seattle and Portland, you can earn enough as a nurse in SLC to rent a decent apartment, and live comparatively a higher standard of living. I would go pay another visit, and do some more exploring of options.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 PM

Thanks for asking. I'm a PN with 2 years experience. I actually submitted my fingerprints today. It was for the TX license however it's a multi state so I should be good to go. I also had applied for a Utah license days ago just to be safe. I also had an easy time reaching their BON.

I did call a facility and they are needing help. The ratio is a lot more reasonable than the 1:40 at the last facility I was at in nyc. They are also Covid free which is a plus especially since I'll temporarily be staying with older relatives. I had been working in HH for most of my career but I'm taking a break from that for now. There's not as many PN opportunities in SLC compared to TX which is a tradeoff.

It's pretty late for me to make a second visit though. But I also seem to find myself moving every 1.5 years and am open to the idea of somewhere new. Also having relatives in the area is a plus, which I did not have when moving here or NYC.

One thing I did like was the low humidity which was pretty tolerable. And I'll be able to go hiking with my relatives if they decide.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
IMO we would need some more information to make an appropriate recommendation. KSL has a great classified section at listing everything from Cars to renting houses/apartments.

If you were going to work at the U or be a student I would suggest renting near (84101) and you'd be able to walk most places:

https://homes.ksl.com/listing/rentle...ertyTypeCode=2

If you need public transit the buses are quite good as is Trax to get you through most parts of the valley.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:58 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,036,281 times
You're right, this board has been quiet. I suspect it's covid, less mobility and so fewer people posting. Probably many regulars here just waiting for more posts like yours to respond to.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with West Valley City. For various reasons I'm over there all the time. It gets a bad rap here cause it's not as plush and posh as the communities on the east side of the valley and has a large hispanic population. Basically lower income, more working class. that said, it's also worth noting that SLC and environs don't have much in the way of real slums or ghetto areas. Anybody accustomed to real cities could drive down a "bad" street and find little amiss except more houses needing a cleanup and paint. Good luck to you!

Old 07-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Well certain boards such as those for Texas, CA and NYC have been active still lol. I'm getting that most anywhere in the midwest is typically not where people would move to. If I didn't have a relative there I wouldn't consider.

Information? I'm not sure what else to add. I do want to return to college. I haven't looked into any local colleges yet. I also used to enjoy stargazing but obviously can't do that living in places like NYC and Seattle proper. I do see some stars out in the part I live in but it doesn't compare to what I got to see in TN.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
I don't think that there is much demand for LPNs except at nursing homes. And coronavirus is climbing rapidly out there. But if you have family out there, and especially if you can get a driver's license and access to a car, the Wasatch is fantastic for recreation, and there is amazing hiking farther afield, too.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:23 PM

There's a good amount of jobs there in Utah. Home health agencies are also hiring as well as a few clinics. But since the population is kinda small so is the job pool. I haven't had an issue finding work since graduation, although I have worked in the big cities since. So this will be my first time not working in a big city.

Edit- checked on Google. About 100 lpn jobs versus 200 for RNs. Seems like reasonable numbers for their population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area