Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 10:03 AM

182 posts, read 94,540 times

Advertisements

Currently visiting your area and will be applying to jobs next week. I'm coming from Austin, TX and I have to say, I see a lot in common between the cities. Austin is A LOT bigger, but the vibe is somewhat similar between barton springs, hyde park, University heights and the NE area of SLC. I am staying north of highway 80, and east of 89.

This isn't really a good thing for me, as I want to escape the left leaning progressive yuppy areas. I was hoping to do so here in SLC. I am not "right wing" per se, but am a gun rights advocate, and probably have ideals closely related to what a classical liberal would be today.

I enjoy fishing, hiking, shooting, kayaking, hunting, resting in a hammock with a good book, and am always working on a DIY project. I am in my thirties, single, and without kids, no tattoos and rather clean cut.

I work in manufacturing (which is why am I am glued to cities for occupation), and from what it seems, can afford to rent in the majority of areas around town. I would not be turned off by a commute to SLC.

Any ideas on where I would fit in?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 08:11 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556senditTX View Post
Currently visiting your area and will be applying to jobs next week. I'm coming from Austin, TX and I have to say, I see a lot in common between the cities. Austin is A LOT bigger, but the vibe is somewhat similar between barton springs, hyde park, University heights and the NE area of SLC. I am staying north of highway 80, and east of 89.

This isn't really a good thing for me, as I want to escape the left leaning progressive yuppy areas. I was hoping to do so here in SLC. I am not "right wing" per se, but am a gun rights advocate, and probably have ideals closely related to what a classical liberal would be today.

I enjoy fishing, hiking, shooting, kayaking, hunting, resting in a hammock with a good book, and am always working on a DIY project. I am in my thirties, single, and without kids, no tattoos and rather clean cut.

I work in manufacturing (which is why am I am glued to cities for occupation), and from what it seems, can afford to rent in the majority of areas around town. I would not be turned off by a commute to SLC.

Any ideas on where I would fit in?

Thanks in advance!
I'd suggest you consider Sugarhouse and the Avenues (the lower avenues, specifically). I think they'd both probably be a pretty good fit.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:57 AM

I'm surprised you haven't received more input. Maybe everybody's too focused on the election to pay attention to anything else. You didn't say whether you were interested in renting or buying. That could make a difference in where you'd want to look.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:25 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm surprised you haven't received more input. Maybe everybody's too focused on the election to pay attention to anything else. You didn't say whether you were interested in renting or buying. That could make a difference in where you'd want to look.
Maybe cause there's not much to add - you said it, whether OP is renting or buying. But I'll add anyway. Maybe also consider Millcreek too. It shares much with Sugarhouse. The Avenues is great but not nearly as convenient to highways if that's important.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:50 AM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
You'll be surprised how much further your 2A goes in UT than in TX. At least for now anyway.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The Avenues is great but not nearly as convenient to highways if that's important.
True. I thought about that, but a lot of people sure do love living there.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:45 PM

32 posts, read 41,405 times
If you're wanting to escape left leaning yuppies, The Avenues and Sugar House wouldn't be good areas at all.

A couple of thoughts are Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, Sandy, South Jordan, and Bountiful.

Not sure if they would be exactly what you're looking for. These are all suburbs of Salt Lake and within a 25 minutes drive. They will be mostly residential but have some amenities. Likely more families than a single scene, but everyone drives everywhere around here.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:20 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlocal View Post
If you're wanting to escape left leaning yuppies, The Avenues and Sugar House wouldn't be good areas at all.

A couple of thoughts are Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, Sandy, South Jordan, and Bountiful.

Not sure if they would be exactly what you're looking for. These are all suburbs of Salt Lake and within a 25 minutes drive. They will be mostly residential but have some amenities. Likely more families than a single scene, but everyone drives everywhere around here.
Let's be clear. These neighborhoods are a far cry from Brooklyn, the bay area or Cambridge Mass for example. Or even Austin perhaps, from what my TX friends tell me. They're liberal largely in the context of Utah AND more diverse in general, IMO, compared to the suburbs. Less LDS too. If I were young my soul would die in Cottonwood Heights, Holladay (where I live happily among young families and retirees but zero singles) , Sandy, South Jordan, and Bountiful.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Let's be clear. These neighborhoods are a far cry from Brooklyn, the bay area or Cambridge Mass for example. Or even Austin perhaps, from what my TX friends tell me. They're liberal largely in the context of Utah AND more diverse in general, IMO, compared to the suburbs. Less LDS too. If I were young my soul would die in Cottonwood Heights, Holladay (where I live happily among young families and retirees but zero singles) , Sandy, South Jordan, and Bountiful.
When I suggested Sugarhouse or the Avenues, I was thinking primarily of where a young, single person would fit in. They may be more liberal than the suburban parts of the city (e.g. Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, etc.) but liberal is relative, as you said. If the OP were to move to Sugarhouse, for instance, I can hardly imagine that he'd feel out of place either socially or politically.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:55 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Salt Lake City can feel pretty left-wing, to be honest, and I'm from Illinois. I don't think it's worth sugarcoating either way. Regardless, you'll be living in a state that is comfortably conservative (but pretty sour on Trumpian politics), although definitely more communitarian than just about any other state in this country. That can rub a lot of conservatives/libertarians/classical liberals the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area