Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 10:58 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

Advertisements

I appreciate that insight and will plan on at very least getting to Big Cottonwood when coming from Park City, though Little Cottonwood sounds epic enough that maybe I should try to get to that too. We do not have everything exactly set in stone, but we do know the approximate route for our trip, at this point (these are possible-probable short stops, at least): Salt Lake City->Ogden->Twin Falls->Boise->Craters of the Moon->Arco (family)->Blackfoot (family)->West Yellowstone->Big Sky->Bozeman->Livingston->Old Faithful Inn (and Yellowstone in general)->Grand Teton->Jackson->Afton->Park City->Big Cottonwood back to Salt Lake. I am not sure if that provides any other helpful context or insight on what we should or shouldn't do during our 2-2.5 days in Salt Lake, but I like planning stuff out in general, and am looking forward to seeing a pretty good cross section of western cities/landscapes.

No one has specifically commented on Ensign Peak, is that pretty worthwhile as a short type of hike? It seemed to be a very short hike with a big pay off in terms of the urban vista component as well, but I wasn't sure.

Also, I see the resources provided by Preservation Utah, but is there, or is there any chance guided walking tours happen with some regularity in Salt Lake beyond that? I can just tell you that in Tampa Bay, we have these, and they've started up again (with everyone wearing masks and limited attendance of course) (though only in our cooler months):
https://www.tampabayhistorycenter.or...walking-tours/

https://preservetheburg.org/walkingtours/

I greatly enjoy these, and would definitely take the chance to take something similar if it existed in a new city.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 12:45 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I appreciate that insight and will plan on at very least getting to Big Cottonwood when coming from Park City, though Little Cottonwood sounds epic enough that maybe I should try to get to that too. We do not have everything exactly set in stone, but we do know the approximate route for our trip, at this point (these are possible-probable short stops, at least): Salt Lake City->Ogden->Twin Falls->Boise->Craters of the Moon->Arco (family)->Blackfoot (family)->West Yellowstone->Big Sky->Bozeman->Livingston->Old Faithful Inn (and Yellowstone in general)->Grand Teton->Jackson->Afton->Park City->Big Cottonwood back to Salt Lake. I am not sure if that provides any other helpful context or insight on what we should or shouldn't do during our 2-2.5 days in Salt Lake, but I like planning stuff out in general, and am looking forward to seeing a pretty good cross section of western cities/landscapes.
Sounds like a really fun trip! I just hope enough things are open in Salt Lake City for you to enjoy and that it's not still like a ghost town, which it still is right now.

Quote:
No one has specifically commented on Ensign Peak, is that pretty worthwhile as a short type of hike? It seemed to be a very short hike with a big pay off in terms of the urban vista component as well, but I wasn't sure.
Ensign Peak is a fun little hike. It's roughly 1 mile round-trip and not terribly difficult if you're in decent shape. The elevation climb is just under 1000 feet. There is no shade, and even though it's a short hike, I'd suggest you not do it during the hottest part of the day. I'd also suggest that you take water. From the top, you can look out over the entire Salt Lake Valley. You'll be looking basically south. I would suggest you drive, rather than walk, to the trailhead. The drive from downtown Salt Lake to the trailhead is just over 1 mile.

Quote:
Also, I see the resources provided by Preservation Utah, but is there, or is there any chance guided walking tours happen with some regularity in Salt Lake beyond that? I can just tell you that in Tampa Bay, we have these, and they've started up again (with everyone wearing masks and limited attendance of course) (though only in our cooler months):
https://www.tampabayhistorycenter.or...walking-tours/

https://preservetheburg.org/walkingtours/

I greatly enjoy these, and would definitely take the chance to take something similar if it existed in a new city.
Okay, so I actually work in Salt Lake City tourism, or at least I did prior to Covid, when the Salt Lake City Visitors Center shut down. We're still not open again. (I'm actually a retired software developer but I love to travel and after I retired I started working at the visitor center part time.) At any rate, I do have a fairly extensive knowledge of such things, and I can tell you that there is no official "walking tour" of Salt Lake City. As you walk around the downtown area, you may see some bronze markers designating some historic sites. For the most part, though, what's there now doesn't even resemble what used to be there. In other words, they aren't historic buildings. If you're interested, I can give you some suggestions for where to walk, just to get a feel for the vibe of the city. I can make suggestions for anywhere from a 20 minute walk to a 3 hour walk. Just let me know.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:15 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Quote:
2. What are the best short hikes and drive view points within town? I've considered checking out the U on the hillside by Utah, the Living Room Trailhead, Ensign Peak, going nearby the Great Salt Lake itself, and going for a drive up Emigration Canyon, but welcome other ideas also.
Ensign peak is a great little hike and a nice view of the valley. I'd suggest driving up Emigration canyon (stop at Ruth's diner for breakfast/brunch they have a great back patio) then head west by Little Dell Reservoir then turn around by East Canyon Reservoir and head back. Both big and little cottonwood canyons are fun drives with Guardsman pass connecting you to Park City (back side of Deer Valley).

I personally enjoy going over Suncrest in draper then driving up Timpanagos highway (stop at the caves for a nice hike / tour) then finish the alpine loop and stop to have lunch at Sundance. Lots of hikes around in the alpine loop and there is a reservoir up there as well.

If you have a full day my choice when my family comes to visit is the pack a picnic lunch and head up to the Uintah (passed Kamas) and go to Mirror lake then see Kings Peak and stop by bald mountain. But this area can be cold until mid summer.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sounds like a really fun trip! I just hope enough things are open in Salt Lake City for you to enjoy and that it's not still like a ghost town, which it still is right now.

Ensign Peak is a fun little hike. It's roughly 1 mile round-trip and not terribly difficult if you're in decent shape. The elevation climb is just under 1000 feet. There is no shade, and even though it's a short hike, I'd suggest you not do it during the hottest part of the day. I'd also suggest that you take water. From the top, you can look out over the entire Salt Lake Valley. You'll be looking basically south. I would suggest you drive, rather than walk, to the trailhead. The drive from downtown Salt Lake to the trailhead is just over 1 mile.

Okay, so I actually work in Salt Lake City tourism, or at least I did prior to Covid, when the Salt Lake City Visitors Center shut down. We're still not open again. (I'm actually a retired software developer but I love to travel and after I retired I started working at the visitor center part time.) At any rate, I do have a fairly extensive knowledge of such things, and I can tell you that there is no official "walking tour" of Salt Lake City. As you walk around the downtown area, you may see some bronze markers designating some historic sites. For the most part, though, what's there now doesn't even resemble what used to be there. In other words, they aren't historic buildings. If you're interested, I can give you some suggestions for where to walk, just to get a feel for the vibe of the city. I can make suggestions for anywhere from a 20 minute walk to a 3 hour walk. Just let me know.
Thanks for this response! Definitely sounds like I should plan on doing the Ensign Peak hike like first thing in the morning, like 7 AM. Would we be the only ones on the trail, or probably not? I don't like super crowded trails but I also don't like an eerie feeling of being the only up there in case someone falls or something else. I wouldn't assume Bear Spray, etc. would be necessary there, though I may consider getting it for some of the other places we are going.

That's awesome! What exactly is your role within the visitor center? That is no problem to hear that, and that makes sense, even the part of the stuff that is there now being fundamentally different from what was there previously. Salt Lake definitely isn't alone in that regard lol! Is "This is the Place" worthwhile, in a true historic sense of seeing some significant early landmarks/relics of the city/area? Seems like it is one of the larger parks of that variety in the US at least. I would definitely love to get some specific suggestions on walking, as I love contextual input like that. Most things I'm finding online are either 50 pagers with exact firms that designed every building downtown and don't really tell how to approach or are hyperfocused on one aspect or just history, or, vague click bait lists that tell me to visit the capitol, Temple Square, and the library, and pretty much that's it lol. I'd be happy if you could provide something in between that, but no pressure either as I'm sure you have some responsibilities too. I'm a new father/doctoral candidate/middle school social studies teacher right now managing online/in person instruction simultaneously, so I know about that lol.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Ensign peak is a great little hike and a nice view of the valley. I'd suggest driving up Emigration canyon (stop at Ruth's diner for breakfast/brunch they have a great back patio) then head west by Little Dell Reservoir then turn around by East Canyon Reservoir and head back. Both big and little cottonwood canyons are fun drives with Guardsman pass connecting you to Park City (back side of Deer Valley).

I personally enjoy going over Suncrest in draper then driving up Timpanagos highway (stop at the caves for a nice hike / tour) then finish the alpine loop and stop to have lunch at Sundance. Lots of hikes around in the alpine loop and there is a reservoir up there as well.

If you have a full day my choice when my family comes to visit is the pack a picnic lunch and head up to the Uintah (passed Kamas) and go to Mirror lake then see Kings Peak and stop by bald mountain. But this area can be cold until mid summer.
Ruth's Diner seems like a prominent reason to drive up Emigration Canyon in general. Seems like a nice local spot with great views. All of those further hiking ideas sound awesome, and I may pursue them on our way back down!

Old 02-25-2021, 07:51 PM

Cavsfan, exactly when do you plan on being in Salt Lake City?

Old 02-25-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Cavsfan, exactly when do you plan on being in Salt Lake City?
Lol, good question! We are planning on going in early July, once school is out. Hoping/praying to be vaccinated by then, and that more restrictions, etc. will be relaxed by then as well as I believe they might. I'm just a super OCD travel planner (this stuff is my favorite hobby), and have already set up all hotels, etc. well in advance of the trip, and I have no earlier upcoming trips before then so this is the one I've sorta been gaming/focused on.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Ruth's Diner seems like a prominent reason to drive up Emigration Canyon in general. Seems like a nice local spot with great views. All of those further hiking ideas sound awesome, and I may pursue them on our way back down!
With all due respect to Ruth's Diner, it would not rank among the top 10 reasons to drive into Emigration Canyon. And, I say that as someone who bikes the Emigration Canyon and then East Canyon multiple times a week in the Summer and know it quite closely. Ruth's Diner is very close to the City - may be 3 miles from the mouth of the canyon near the Zoo. The best views are at the highest point at the top of the Little Mountain. There is even a nice ridge trail starting at the little mountain, though I personally would only recommend higher elevation trails in the small and big cottonwood canyon at that time of the year.

For us, the best drive (rather bike ride) near SLC is up the Big Cottonwood canyon to Brighton and then up the Guardsman's pass. Much as I live at the mouth of Emigration canyon and love it, it is not as pretty as the big and small cottonwood canyons. There is a diner near the end of big cottonwood which seems quite popular, judging by the number of vehicles parked there. There are nice trails starting from Brighton, Solitude and elsewhere on big cottonwood. Similarly in small cottonwood as well. he advantage is that the trails there are at a higher elevation and more enjoyable in the summer sun. As a tourist, that's where I'd recommend visiting.

All the best!

Old 02-26-2021, 09:33 AM

kavm, I'm not sure how long you've lived here, but you're the only person I've ever heard refer to Little Cottonwood Canyon as Small Cottonwood Canyon. For those who don't know this, the names Big and Little Cottonwood refer solely to the length of the drive through the canyon. Big Cottonwood Canyon is 15 miles long and Little Cottonwood is 7 miles long.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:55 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
kavm, I'm not sure how long you've lived here, but you're the only person I've ever heard refer to Little Cottonwood Canyon as Small Cottonwood Canyon. For those who don't know this, the names Big and Little Cottonwood refer solely to the length of the drive through the canyon. Big Cottonwood Canyon is 15 miles long and Little Cottonwood is 7 miles long.
Thanks for correcting! That's more of a mental lapse on my part. I don't bike up Little Cottonwood (steeper than I have dared so far) but my favorite hiking trails (White Pine and Red Pine) are located there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area