Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 14,196 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the burbs of SLC, from the burbs of DFW. We have five kids, currently homeschooled but maybe not forever. My mom is also thinking about moving with us, so we might need an ADU. We are interested in building a new place on a larger lot. Is it realistic to think we could do this for $650k or less? What areas are better to look at? I like the area between Provo and Draper, but it seems expensive. Herriman and Jordan seem more affordable, but don’t know much about that side. Are there better builders than others? When we lived in Oregon, there was Adair, but they had mixed reviews. I often heard it was cheaper and better quality to find your own general contractor. When I do Google searches I only come up with “luxury” home builders, though. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 04:57 PM

Also we’re looking at the Maine house being around 3500-4500 sq ft. We are also comfortable do some of the finishing.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:14 PM

229 posts, read 217,427 times
With the housing market here going gang busters, 650k is going to be tough to build, maybe up towards western Weber county or out towards Eagle Mountain.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:45 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger12345 View Post
With the housing market here going gang busters, 650k is going to be tough to build, maybe up towards western Weber county or out towards Eagle Mountain.
I totally agree. She says she wants a home between 3500 sq feet and 4500 sq feet. That is a large home. The land alone is going to cost more than she imagines. Real estate costs here are larger than in the DFW area.

I'd budget more like $750,000 if I wanted that in the areas she is describing.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone, that was what I was worried about. I'll look at Weber and Eagle Mountain. I see lots of HOA communities in Jordan with some homes that might fit our bill, but I'm really not interested in an HOA. I'd also like a larger lot, which I know may be asking allot. Do you have any recommendations on builders that have basic house plans(not high end), I was thinking of someone like Adair in Oregon, though as I stated, I've heard mixed things about them.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmcnam View Post
Thanks everyone, that was what I was worried about. I'll look at Weber and Eagle Mountain. I see lots of HOA communities in Jordan with some homes that might fit our bill, but I'm really not interested in an HOA. I'd also like a larger lot, which I know may be asking allot. Do you have any recommendations on builders that have basic house plans(not high end), I was thinking of someone like Adair in Oregon, though as I stated, I've heard mixed things about them.
Did you ever find an information on builders in the area? We are in the Clackamas are currently and looking to move to the Wasatch Back, but not finding many homes for sale and considering buying land and building. We've been looking at the Mountain Green and Morgan areas recently. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2021, 10:53 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
jeepers the cost of housing here is out of control... I just looked at a few houses in a zip code we'd like to get back to...

Basic 3/2 homes build in the 60's / 70's with ~2500 sq ft and haven't been renovated since the 80's are going for near $600k. I understand the market is crazy right now and that inventory is low so some of these houses owners might just be finishing for a ridiculous price but still....

Old 04-08-2021, 08:00 PM

121 posts, read 190,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
jeepers the cost of housing here is out of control... I just looked at a few houses in a zip code we'd like to get back to...

Basic 3/2 homes build in the 60's / 70's with ~2500 sq ft and haven't been renovated since the 80's are going for near $600k. I understand the market is crazy right now and that inventory is low so some of these houses owners might just be finishing for a ridiculous price but still....
And that’s just the list price. Everything is selling $50-$100k over asking price within a day or two.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 AM

28 posts, read 34,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksman View Post
And that’s just the list price. Everything is selling $50-$100k over asking price within a day or two.
SLC housing market is on steroid right now, have been looking at homes for quite some time for our move in next two months. I am now worried if will we be able to get a house in the area we want. I read a local news page about higher prices in area from the comments posted it looks like that out of state movers are paying up to 100K over asking price and paying all in cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area