Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 19,613 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old male expecting my job to transfer me in the near future and will be working in Ogden. I've been reading through the threads on here for other transplants and I'm starting to get really excited about the move, but I have a few questions of my own for the people here:

1. I could use some apartment recs for my first year. I'll be living alone so it's important to me to find a place with a good community of people around my age. In my last few cities I've been able to find apartments with nice, resort style pools where everyone gathers together to cook, drink, hang out, etc on the weekends making it really easy to meet people. If anyone can recommend a place that would be great. Location will also be important since I'll be working in Ogden. I've heard Ogden nightlife has come a long way which if true, I'd rather just live out there or in Layton. But if yall think it's worth making the commute for the first year to make it easier to meet people then I wouldn't be opposed to driving in from Salt Lake.

2. Which ski pass is best? Theres so many different resorts and options that I'm not sure what to do. I'd ideally like one with guest passes since I'm expecting friends to come visit. I've been to Park City but I'm expecting that I'll probably prefer one of the closer options.

3. How important is a 4wd in the winter? I currently have a RWD truck and am wondering if I need to sell my vehicle and buy a new one before I move. If I do need one, then is there any market for a RWD there or do i need to try to hurry and sell it before moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 05:14 PM

32 posts, read 41,424 times
1) Ogden has definitely come a long way and is turning into a fun little city. The nightlife will still be underwhelming for a city of 85K, but would be my first option to live if that's where your job is located. Layton is the epitome of suburbia, I would not look there. Salt Lake is too far for an every day commute, IMHO. I don't have specific info about apartments, but I'd look near 25th Street and also the Salomon Center. I know they've been building a lot of apartments, just don't know which will have the amenities and vibe you're wanting. You might have to do a scouting trip.

2) If you're in Ogden, look at the Epic Pass which includes nearby Snow Basin as a partner. Park City would be 90 minutes away or so and is an Epic resort. The other option would be an individual season pass at Snow Basin or Powder Mountain and stick to one mountain. The Salt Lake and Park City resorts will be too far away and become a hassle after a couple of times. Weekends are brutal now too since they introduced Epic and Ikon to this market. They sell a ton of passes locally, so you'd have to get up extra early to beat the traffic on a Sat morning.

3) I've never owned a 4WD or even an AWD vehicle. I just buy snow tires every few years. I get them mounted between Thanksgiving and early December and switch back to all season in early April. Not sure if a truck would be different with a longer wheel base from front to back. I've heard sometimes 2WD trucks can be too light in the back and people will load sandbags in their truck bed, just to give it some weight and more stability.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:12 AM

441 posts, read 439,813 times
you could try using for rent online.
When I moved from the east coast my uncle recommended it to us, Then it was a book but now it is easy to use online and you can enter the criteria you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: