Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 02:32 PM

565 posts, read 470,687 times

Advertisements

Kletter1man's neighbor tried to kill him in the past. You guys worked that out, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 02:54 AM

272 posts, read 270,442 times
Idaho is second in the highest percentage of Mormons in the country.

Let's just pretend someone from Wyoming were considering a move to Idaho and asked the exact same questions you asked in here.

If you can look at things with that perspective, then you can answer your own question.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:47 AM

30 posts, read 27,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc777 View Post
Hello, I have great job opportunity if I relocate to SCL. Currently I'm in ID and really like it here. However, I have a job offer that would really be a great career move. The posts I read seem to be all over the place about being non-Mormon there. I'm spiritual but not religious and hesitant moving to SLC.

I'm mid 40s WM and single with no kids - so schools aren't a concern but the dating is something I need to consider. I'm not sure I want to live in a city that has a religion SO prevalent in everyday life and city government. I hear downtown is not vibrant and fun - is that right? I would like to live in downtown or in an urban environment. I'm friendly and fun guy originally from the South and not sure how I will be received. I like to go out, meet new people, checkout breweries and catch live music.

Thanks in advance!
You are me to a ‘T’.

SLC does not have much to offer except outdoors (biking, hiking, camping, snow sports). It’s changing very slowly so maybe in 20 years? Utah people are very VERY slow to change. SLC is a low key run down city surrounded by fantastic natural views. A lot of money goes towards churches and temples, not the city. This a lot of it is worn down, needs fixing, no green space investment etc. Yes politics are run by the religion. And it is not all that affordable unless you for some otherworldly, and inaccurately somehow find a reason to compare to SF, NYC, SEA. Yes the religion will affect you from dating, to social life, to employment, literally everything. What people never seem to understand is that it is an ‘all encompassing’ religion - meaning it covers all faucets of life, thus that is where people spend their money, their social time, dating, events, their entire and sole existence.

And so you mention dating. Aside from normally elongating the sex and age group you’re not into, you need to again cut that in half for the religious people who do not date outside their religion. Yes dating and being social will be very very hard. In the off chance someone is not Mormon, they’re almost always going to have a large family. There is no grabbing a beer with a few guys from work Friday night for example.

If employment isn’t a factor for locating, or your life doesn’t revolve around lone wolf hiking and biking, I’d choose somewhere else.

Feel free to ask me anything. I was born here in the 80s, lived here in the early and late 90s, and live here now. I am very well versed in this city and it’s changes through time. I have also lived in 13 other states in between so unlike a lot of Utahns I know what is ‘outside the bubble’, excluding missionary work which doesn’t count in the least, obviously.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:52 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
We loved SLC and (to some extent) wish we never left. If kids/schools/proximity to family was not a concern for us at the time, we would have never left. Anywhere close proximity to SLC (we lived downtown) will be totally fine.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:59 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omo33 View Post
You are me to a ‘T’.

SLC does not have much to offer except outdoors (biking, hiking, camping, snow sports).

>>>snip<<<

If employment isn’t a factor for locating, or your life doesn’t revolve around lone wolf hiking and biking, I’d choose somewhere else.
Sorry your experience has been so negative. But overly so I feel, IF (and that's a big IF) you're interested in the outdoor stuff. And, if you are, there's really no need for lone wolf activities. But your experience is your experience so most of my remarks are for the OP.

Let's take a step back. Moving to Utah has many of the same features that you'd experience moving to a foreign country. But it's actually more disorienting because it isn't foreign, it's USA. Same language, money, TV, etc as everywhere else. But newcomers generally will experience some degree of culture shock. Much of this goes back to personal attitudes and expectations. If you moved from Watertown Wisconsin to NYC you'd expect vast differences. But does anybody moving to UT expect vast differences apart from some possible discomfort about how it will go with the overwhelming LDS influence? And what is that influence anyway? Much has been written here and elsewhere describing it, so do search.

That said, if you dig below the surface a little, you'll find very active transplant communities, many revolving around the outdoor stuff. There are countless Meetup groups, clubs etc etc that are overwhelmingly transplants. And they are also very welcoming to newcomers. There's also a large demographic that came here to attend The U and ended up staying.

And as for dating, the M/F ratio of non-LDS partners is about the same. It's not like just men move here. The result is simply that the total potential dating pool for non-LDS transplants is smaller than would otherwise be the case in a metro region of its size.

But back to the outdoor theme. It's true, SLC is pretty uninteresting in and of itself. The downtown is amazingly dead. The food scene that takes up so much space in the magazines really doesn't deliver. The suburbs even more so. And if that's what you're after then stay away. But the outdoors more than compensates for those who want that.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Sorry your experience has been so negative. But overly so I feel, IF (and that's a big IF) you're interested in the outdoor stuff. And, if you are, there's really no need for lone wolf activities. But your experience is your experience so most of my remarks are for the OP.

Let's take a step back. Moving to Utah has many of the same features that you'd experience moving to a foreign country. But it's actually more disorienting because it isn't foreign, it's USA. Same language, money, TV, etc as everywhere else. But newcomers generally will experience some degree of culture shock. Much of this goes back to personal attitudes and expectations. If you moved from Watertown Wisconsin to NYC you'd expect vast differences. But does anybody moving to UT expect vast differences apart from some possible discomfort about how it will go with the overwhelming LDS influence? And what is that influence anyway? Much has been written here and elsewhere describing it, so do search.

That said, if you dig below the surface a little, you'll find very active transplant communities, many revolving around the outdoor stuff. There are countless Meetup groups, clubs etc etc that are overwhelmingly transplants. And they are also very welcoming to newcomers. There's also a large demographic that came here to attend The U and ended up staying.

And as for dating, the M/F ratio of non-LDS partners is about the same. It's not like just men move here. The result is simply that the total potential dating pool for non-LDS transplants is smaller than would otherwise be the case in a metro region of its size.

But back to the outdoor theme. It's true, SLC is pretty uninteresting in and of itself. The downtown is amazingly dead. The food scene that takes up so much space in the magazines really doesn't deliver. The suburbs even more so. And if that's what you're after then stay away. But the outdoors more than compensates for those who want that.

I would say it’s been negative, just different. And most people don’t really understand how it is compared to other cities. People do outdoor things with people they’ve met vs. meeting people doing outdoor stuff. It’s not really a ‘social scene’. You’re there for the outdoors. Not to say it camp happen or there aren’t hiking groups. But that’s the mentality.

I love hiking and camping, but one must realize that won’t be enough. I enjoy the monthly camping and hike. But I am not engulfed in it. Some people do that stuff every single weekend and if they have time off they just do it longer. Those are the people that love Utah.

I would argue it takes much more than a little digging. It’s all relative to comparisons. An this, telling someone to dig for a welcoming transplant community on meetup just to have a social life, is unto itself what people don’t really comprehend. Yes, it will indeed take active effort and energy that would be seamless relaxed transition in any other city of size but without the theocracy. People generally don’t want to research, plan and dig to find a friend. Same for dating. A lot of people don’t really see a need to live where so much effort is needed. The dating pool is significantly smaller. Not just because of LDS. Early marriage and being a family city as well. It has a tremendous impact. Again I am comparing to that of a similar size city outside the culture.

I personally don’t believe the outdoors compensates. And I think any generally social person with a relatively normal interest in the outdoors would agree. If it compensates, you are an outdoor enthusiast. There is no diversity in Utah, food, entertainment and events cater towards children, often events pass the city over due to lowest drinking population in entire country with alcohol being their main revenue, the city closes at 10 pm, I used to love going to busiest breweries on Sunday in any other city and it’d be a good time, go try that here lol I have. Dead.

It’s just stuff like that and then some that has me believing if you think hiking or camping makes up for all of that and more than that’s a niche preference/enthusiasts but for most it simple won’t.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omo33 View Post
I would say it’s been negative, just different. And most people don’t really understand how it is compared to other cities. People do outdoor things with people they’ve met vs. meeting people doing outdoor stuff. It’s not really a ‘social scene’. You’re there for the outdoors. Not to say it camp happen or there aren’t hiking groups. But that’s the mentality.

I love hiking and camping, but one must realize that won’t be enough. I enjoy the monthly camping and hike. But I am not engulfed in it. Some people do that stuff every single weekend and if they have time off they just do it longer. Those are the people that love Utah.

I would argue it takes much more than a little digging. It’s all relative to comparisons. An this, telling someone to dig for a welcoming transplant community on meetup just to have a social life, is unto itself what people don’t really comprehend. Yes, it will indeed take active effort and energy that would be seamless relaxed transition in any other city of size but without the theocracy. People generally don’t want to research, plan and dig to find a friend. Same for dating. A lot of people don’t really see a need to live where so much effort is needed. The dating pool is significantly smaller. Not just because of LDS. Early marriage and being a family city as well. It has a tremendous impact. Again I am comparing to that of a similar size city outside the culture.

I personally don’t believe the outdoors compensates. And I think any generally social person with a relatively normal interest in the outdoors would agree. If it compensates, you are an outdoor enthusiast. There is no diversity in Utah, food, entertainment and events cater towards children, often events pass the city over due to lowest drinking population in entire country with alcohol being their main revenue, the city closes at 10 pm, I used to love going to busiest breweries on Sunday in any other city and it’d be a good time, go try that here lol I have. Dead.

It’s just stuff like that and then some that has me believing if you think hiking or camping makes up for all of that and more than that’s a niche preference/enthusiasts but for most it simple won’t.
As I was posting the above, it gradually dawned on me that I agree! You put it very well. I'm retired and I am indeed an "outdoor enthusiast." No doubt about it. For starters I'm skiing about 80 days/season. I was an active rock climber, both gym and outdoors (though an unpleasant accident put an end to that). My social circle is comprised of professionals, doctors, academics, IT people and ski &/or climbing bums. ALL of them are transplants and ALL are high level outdoor enthusiasts. I'm not talking about a little camping here and there or occasional weekend skiing, I'm talking hard core. This obviously shapes my experience. Still, I gotta say, it was amazingly easy get plugged into all that if you want.

So here's an anecdote: My partner moved to Park City a couple years ago from DC. She's a Montreal native. Until very recently she had spent almost no time in SLC. So, we started hanging out more downtown, barhopping, restaurants. She was absolutely shocked at how dead and soulless the whole place is. Sure, a few bars that are busy. Also, some cultural stuff, but where are all the people on the streets? Total deadsville. She makes a good point. No apparent scene whatsoever. For that we go to PC.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
As I was posting the above, it gradually dawned on me that I agree! You put it very well. I'm retired and I am indeed an "outdoor enthusiast." No doubt about it. For starters I'm skiing about 80 days/season. I was an active rock climber, both gym and outdoors (though an unpleasant accident put an end to that). My social circle is comprised of professionals, doctors, academics, IT people and ski &/or climbing bums. ALL of them are transplants and ALL are high level outdoor enthusiasts. I'm not talking about a little camping here and there or occasional weekend skiing, I'm talking hard core. This obviously shapes my experience. Still, I gotta say, it was amazingly easy get plugged into all that if you want.

So here's an anecdote: My partner moved to Park City a couple years ago from DC. She's a Montreal native. Until very recently she had spent almost no time in SLC. So, we started hanging out more downtown, barhopping, restaurants. She was absolutely shocked at how dead and soulless the whole place is. Sure, a few bars that are busy. Also, some cultural stuff, but where are all the people on the streets? Total deadsville. She makes a good point. No apparent scene whatsoever. For that we go to PC.
This definitely makes sense. My boss is about as far away from Mormon as you can find. His life revolves around biking and skiing. It’s all he does and needless to say he absolutely loves SLC and can’t get enough. It’s amusing to me but I do see the points. Everyone had their thing. And for all the cities I have lived in, it’s no secret when it comes to outdoors, Utah cannot be beat. I am sure it is very easy to find ways to socialize here with those interests.

And yea it is true about downtown. I was shocked here just as well. I’ve lived here quite a bit over the ages but never in the heart of the city like I do now and I have to say it is SCARY quiet. In fact I’d wager it’s busier during the week with people walking around than the weekends. It is a shock. Outsiders will for sure notice it. Kind of bummed me out to be honest.

Just today it was absolutely gorgeous out. Perfect weather and beautiful sunset over the city. As I sat on a patio to eat lunch (and dinner later) in the dead center of the city it was almost uncomfortably quiet. Like a meteor was headed to earth and everyone left and I was the only one who didn’t know lol. No cars no people.

I don’t know, SLC is not the worst by any means from my experience but it 100% takes the right person to appreciate it, it’s not somewhere I’d consider without spending a lot of time understanding the city and visiting it first for long periods - a luxury most don’t have.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:28 PM

139 posts, read 252,527 times
Quote:

This post would disagree? Everyone has a different opinion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Utah/commen...alt_lake_city/

Old 06-11-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLF View Post
This post would disagree? Everyone has a different opinion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Utah/commen...alt_lake_city/
I'm not getting your point. Yes, people have different opinions. And the reddit postings are all over the place. [And I should say that I've never found reddit to be a good source of info on anything.] Regardless, downtown SLC is undeniably deadsville if you're coming from a major city. If you're coming from rural Montana, then maybe not. But no worries. It will all be different after the coming collapse and depopulation. I'm not sure which will be first, the Big One or disappearance of the lake. Or both. Either way, I plan on beating the rush. And I'm not the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area