Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 10:59 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Sitting in SLC right now. The air quality is horrible. Brown cloud throughout the valley.
It’s been that way for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 05:39 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Back to the GSL problem - everyone should read the BYU study: Emergency measures needed to rescue Great Salt Lake from ongoing collapse https://pws.byu.edu/GSL%20report%202023

The situation is quite dire. At a high-level, we have:
  • Annual Water Gain: (1.6 MAF - Million Acre Feet)
    • 0.6 MAF - direct precipitation
    • 1 MAF - Runoff to the lake
  • Annual Water Loss: (2.8 MAF)
    • 2.6 MAF - Evaporation
    • 0.2 MAF - Mineral extraction
  • Annual Net Loss: 1.2 MAF
  • Total Water Consumption: 2.3 MAF
    • 74% in Agriculture
    • 8% in Reservoir loss
    • 9% cities and industry
    • 9% mineral extraction
  • Conclusion: The water consumption in the State of Utah will need to drop by 52% simply to stabilize the current level in the GSL. To increase it, we'd need more than that. So, the size of the problem is very formidable and in all likelihood the leadership of this State is not up to the task.
Obviously, the farming consumption has to go down by a very large factor to get anywhere and the political will and the resources to do that in the massive way required are simply not there. So, we should all the GSL to be dry and the only remaining question is when.
Exactly. The denialism and cowardice are breathtaking. Utah has cooked its golden goose and now the carcass is on fire. My partner just sold her house in PC. I'm in the process of doing the same. Eventually the stampede towards the exit will really get going. This will lead to tragedy, though fascinating to watch, like a slow motion train wreck. And the world will watch in wonder at how it was allowed to happen.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 985 times
Talking Not at all :)

I was born and raised there for the most part. It is a great place to live. Very peaceful. Beautiful. Lots and lots to do. Surrounded by good people and you can enjoy yourself and feel comfortable in the community even if you are not Mormon. Happy Travels.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:23 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times
I lived for a year and worked as a Deputy Constable for Salt Lake County. We served arrest warrants. That was back in 1981. That place sucked even back then. The air quality is just wretched. The people were just as bad. Before moving there I thought that life would be peaceful and tranquil in the valley. The Mormons commit just as much crime as everyone else. I was surprised at how much domestic violence went on there. Folks there drive like maniacs!

Old 09-29-2023, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
In my area, homeowners by the tens of thousands have typically put away a $million and a half$ in new equity in ten years. Those folks can write their own tickets anywhere, leaving poor slob renters like me in the dust....almost literally..
From my experience, many of those homeowners endured decades in a home they probably grew to despise, in some regard. They probably took out home loans and wracked up debt several times throughout their lifetime. They're probably driving new cars, taking nice trips often. They're probably decorating their houses with unsustainable cheap lighting. Undocumented laborers are likely in a free room, basement, and/or shed lacking potable water. A few annual medical deductibles for unexpected health emergencies drained bank accounts and sanity. Today, when one of those elitists sells their home, they're likely moving into a long term trailer park community on the outskirts of beaten paths.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:44 PM

128 posts, read 66,925 times
I got out when the getting out was good. Just over 5 years ago. We got tired of the endless growth, traffic mayhem, cost of living and tax increases. Was able to sell for enough to build a nice custom home about the same size as the one we had built in Herriman in 2003 (before the craziest part of the boom). Nice rural living with no traffic issues, great warm people and very low cost of living. You can have that place. The air, traffic, crime and taxes.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 98 times
I think you should. I know this is old but any part of Utah is gonna have more night life than the whole state of Idaho. Also the crime isn't THAT bad. Just drug addicts and homeless people walking around most spots downtown and by the trax. Also if you like brewery's and live music... MOVE TO SALT LAKE CITY. There is a HUGE music scene that is so unrecognized its insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area