Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 PM

219 posts, read 425,185 times

Advertisements

Hi! I felt that this would be a great place to conduct a survey about illegal immigration. I have read some of the posts on this website and see that everyone pretty much speaks their mind and I like that. So, if you would please participate in this survey I would really appreciate it. I am doing a paper on Illegal Immigration and I chose to do a survey rather than an interview. I would like to hear your answers. Please answer as many of these questions as honestly as you can. I hope to gain a real understanding of others and their feelings toward illegal immigration. Thank you in advance for your help! BTW I am supposed to ask 10 questions if you wouldn't mind please respond to all 10 IF you can.

1) What city and state do you live?

2) Do you think illegal immigration is a serious issue?

3) Do you feel illegal immigration is helping or hurting our economy? How?

4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not?

5) Do you have any personal experiences that you would like to share on this topic?

6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue?

7) What are the most serious issues regarding illegal immigration in your area?

8) Do you have any suggestions/solutions to help with illegal immigration?

9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's?

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say?

Thank you to all of you who participated, I look forward to reading your answers and thanks for helping me with my research paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 PM

13 posts, read 44,314 times
Campbell, CA (near San Jose, CA) soon to leave for Salt Lake City, UT
Compared to our economic problems, corporate greed, education...no.
Unfortunately, the undocumented workers help us pay comparatively low prices for fast food, produce, and other items. The myths that undocumented workers cost us money really are unsubstantiated.
4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not? The government can only police so much. Employers deduct taxes from these workers and pay into fake social security numbers,,,or our numbers..and the migrant worker will never see the benefit. If the governement wanted to ensure that no illegal worker took an American's job, they would make sure that fair wages were the law of the land.

5) Do you have any personal experiences that you would like to share on this topic?
I grew up in San Diego and undocumented workers were part of our community. They helped people with elder care, they helped with moving, they helped as mom's assistants. Why? Proximity to Tijuana and the lower cost on these services. Generally the individual people had no desire to live in the US but to take day jobs and go home to their families.
6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue? I think that the undocumented workers from countries other than Mexico are going to play a major role in a sociological way--Chinese, Russians etc..I think the Mexican American people are already "here" legally and that some nervous white folk don't want to see the color scheme change. It is changing so folks need to get used to it. Many Mexicans were here before the white people came over from Europe anyway.
I think that illegal immigrants contributing to the tax base in San Jose and living in sub-standard but very expensive housing have tough lives. They have a fear of being deported and if they are fortunate enough to have their families with them--the fear is multiplied. If they get sick, they can't go get care in a hospital for lack of health insurance. They don't have all these benefits the conservatives like to complain about--they just don't qualify! When their loved ones get sick back home, they won't return out of fear. I haven't seen American's lining up to do their 14 hour shifts at the local Quiznos. I don't see American's breaking their backs doing car detailing at the local car wash for dollar tips. I fear we lose site of the fact that someone, at one point in our family history, decided to pull up stakes and come to the US from another country (unless they were Original Americans or Africans who came against their will). They wanted a better life for their children. Nothing has changed. Racism is still present.
Be kind. What is a border? I have never had my life impacted in a negative way by immigrants, legal or otherwise. I am MORE concerned by the fact that our brain drain in the US causes companies to apply for foreign workers to legally come here and take good paying jobs that our graduates can't fill. That is a huge issue! Get our kids up to snuff in science and math. This should be the number one emphasis today.
9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's? White people came in the 1900s. Brown people are coming now and the "established" white people don't like it.

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say? Focus on Universal Healthcare first. Illegal immigration is not the biggest fish that needs frying. Also--stop the war!

Thank you to all of you who participated, I look forward to reading your answers and thanks for helping me with my research paper.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
1. Chicago

2. yes

3. It's hurting our economy. We are the ones that have to pay for them to spend their time in our prisons.

4.No, their not. They NEED to find a soution to this growing problem. Our government can't keep letting these people win everything. Why the heck are we giving them SO MANY RIGHTS when they are here illegaly in the first place, anyway?

5.No, not yet but I've read the news

6.OK, I'm gonna truthfully tell you what I really think. If we can't resolve this issue soon, then every single city in this country will become the same. They will lose what makes them unique and charming because they will be overun with crime. Even cities like Portland, Seattle and Salt Lake City, which are considered some of the safest, are becoming just like everyone else. If we can't get a hold of this, what do you think our country will be like in 20, even 10 years?

7. the crime and protests bother me the most.

8. Yeah, build the fence and cut the Border Control Agents some slack.

9. The immigrants from 100 years ago were hard working people that came to America to actually make a better life for themselves. They worked at becoming an American by actually going through the classes and taking the tests.

10. You NEED to do something about this before it gets even more out of control.

This should become a very interesting thread. I am eager to hear other's opinions about this, too.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM

Wow! Great answers already! Thank you guys for responding so quickly. You both have given me some great answers. I appreciate that we are in a forum where everyone is able to speak honestly, thank you for allowing us to do that. I really want to know how you feel.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Cottonwood Heights, Utah (on the border of Holladay) but I am moving soon.

Yes.

In a way. Illegal immigrants take alot of the jobs away from everybody else but they are also paid less.

4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not?
They are NOT doing enough to solve the illegal immigration problem and something needs to be done before this situation gets worse and more out of hand than it is now.

No.

6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue?
If things don't change, illegal immigration will continue to increase and spiral out of control. If things do change, (for example, if the new immigration law that goes into effect next year here has the same effect as similar laws have in other states such as Virginia) our economy could suffer a little because without illegal immigrants alot of jobs would be left vacant, but that can be dealt with.

Crime is the main problem now. The protests are a little annoying.

Construct a border fence, temporarily close the border, send more gurads down there, send the national guard in and (last, but not least) make sure they are armed.

9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's?
Immigrants from the early 1900s and the 1940s were extremely hard working people who were determined to live the american dream and make sure that their children and grandchildren grew up better than they did. Also, the people who were immigrating to the United States from Europe 60 years ago came here after suffering during World War II and were victims of Hitler. This is not the same situation today. Back then, people were escaping a war torn continent that was being destroyed by a lunatic and today, people are coming here just to get out of their current one and were certainly not victims of a war, which is why most people were coming to America in the 1900s.

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say?
I would tell him that he needs to address this problem now and not tommorrow and stop making excuses why he shouldn't. I understand that it costs money to build a fence and hire guards, but that should be no problem. Rather than using billions of the taxpayers dollars to fight a war that can't be won, in a country that needs to take of itself, use the money to fight the war on illegal immigration and the war on drugs and crime. Those things will benefit Americans more than a war on the other side of the world will.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 AM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
AnnaGrrrrrl - Since you are not getting many responses, I suggest you try posting this thread in the Immigration forum. You'd probably get more people willing to tell you what they think.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Thank you Illinoisboy!

I will try that!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,285 times
sorry...but knowing many illegal immigrants it has taught me that some people....like urself are very ignorant...If u can name me at least 5 illegal immigrants who are in jail for something more than petty theft or driving w/o a license i will agree with your rasoning. First of all how are they costing any govt agency money when they have to pay for their medical expenses, college and housing and when they pay taxes even knowing that they might not get anything back. 2nd.. they do not steal jobs from anyone because the "americans" will not go pick ur food which in turn would most likely increase the price of vegetables. Last of all these "illegal immigrants" as they are being called also come here with the thoughts of becoming something just like your so called ancestors did. So if u have never been around or seen associated yourself with people than you have to right to tell people how they are...when u urself have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
1. Chicago

2. yes

3. It's hurting our economy. We are the ones that have to pay for them to spend their time in our prisons.

4.No, their not. They NEED to find a soution to this growing problem. Our government can't keep letting these people win everything. Why the heck are we giving them SO MANY RIGHTS when they are here illegaly in the first place, anyway?

5.No, not yet but I've read the news

6.OK, I'm gonna truthfully tell you what I really think. If we can't resolve this issue soon, then every single city in this country will become the same. They will lose what makes them unique and charming because they will be overun with crime. Even cities like Portland, Seattle and Salt Lake City, which are considered some of the safest, are becoming just like everyone else. If we can't get a hold of this, what do you think our country will be like in 20, even 10 years?

7. the crime and protests bother me the most.

8. Yeah, build the fence and cut the Border Control Agents some slack.

9. The immigrants from 100 years ago were hard working people that came to America to actually make a better life for themselves. They worked at becoming an American by actually going through the classes and taking the tests.

10. You NEED to do something about this before it gets even more out of control.

This should become a very interesting thread. I am eager to hear other's opinions about this, too.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Outside of Chicago, IL and moving soon
Yes I do. I feel that it is an economic, social, and homeland security threat.
I feel that illegal immigration is greatly affecting our economy. Illegal immigrants do not pay any income taxes and they spend very little, yet they use many government services. They also have a tendency to send money back over the border to Mexico so their families can get by.
I think some people have good solutions, but many of those people are not in a position to do anything. Many Republicans have fantastic solutions to solve the border security issue, but liberal Democrats that control the Congress and Senate are actively blocking legislation to solve this matter. You also have liberal Democratic mayors like Gavin Newsom of San Francisco who provide drivers licenses and education for illegal immigrants. Cities like San Francisco also do not imprison or report illegal immigrants to immigration authority.
Only that it is difficult for me to hire a landscaper and know that no one working on my yard is not an illegal immigrant.
If things do not change we will unfortunately see more terror attacks, more of a drag on our government which will create higher taxes and lower quality services, we'll also see a drag on our economy if those dollars are not being spent here in the United States.
I am currently in Chicago, so illegal immigrants are not a huge problem, but it is a growing problem. There was a woman that lived in a Catholic church for over a year, because immigration authorities will not venture onto religious property to deport her. Eventually they intervened and deported both her American son and her to Mexico.
I believe that we should provide a clear pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrant who have not committed any additional crimes. I also feel that we should construct a comprehensive border fence and we should also hire more border patrol agents as well as train more volunteer border agents.
Immigrants today seem to be more of one race (hispanic). They also reproduce more and they also seem to only work low paying jobs and they tend to be uneducated.
I would tell him my ideas and I would love to talk to him about way that he could implement these changes.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Ummm, she posed this back in May. I believe her project is long over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area