Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM

18 posts, read 56,550 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am newly retired, but still quite young (50) Over the years I made a small list of places I would like to live and SLC is way up there from visiting the area a year ago. If I move out there I do plan on working to supplement my pension, my job set is fairly diverse so I really do not have a hard time finding work, and Im not very worried about that aspect of a move.

My main concern from looking at various real estate listings are housing prices. Im a widower and live alone so schools are not a real huge concern for me. Price is, I truly would like to find a small house in the 150k - 180k price range. low crime, within 30minute drive of major shopping and preferably next door to a good looking single mother ok only kidding. I presently live on a small farm and would prefer to be closer to a city. Any suggestions on specific areas would really be appreciated.

2nd question is obviously LDS related. I am religious, to the point where I usually go to a church on Sunday mornings. I do not belong to any particular faith or specific church, I just tend to go to whatever church I feel like on that particular morning. Can I do that with a LDS church, or would I be singled out as the new person in the back pew, as I am when I go to the pentecostal church here in town. Will I be pressured into joining LDS like I am with some of the churches here?

and Lastly 3rd question is inversion.. Is it to the point where the governor is ready to do something about it? Or do the refineries just bring to much money into the area where the government just grins and bears it. Do you see any changes coming in the future to correct this problem?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer the same questions as everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Hi fuzzy,

Small houses (unless older) aren't very common here. This is the land of big families. Maybe something in Daybreak (size wise) if you want newer construction. Otherwise the east side of Salt Lake might work for you if you want and older home but close to downtown SLC. Could also consider twin homes (one common wall) but not a townhome with a whole bunch connected together.

I think at an LDS church, you would be greeted and made to feel very welcomed. I strongly doubt there will be any pressure to join. But I do believe that the Bishop (I think that's who leads the sessons) might want you to stand to be acknowledged as a visitor.

As far as inversions go, I think you mean what is the government going to do about the pollution that gets trapped in the valleys with the inversions. The inversion is a weather event which the government has no say in. My opinion is that if we want the government's regulation on the pollution issues, we citizens might not like the end result. We want the government to correct/minimize the pollution but we don't want to give up our cars or be inconvenienced. Again, that's just my opinion. There's another thread about air pollution which you can probably post there and take part in that discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: