Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:41 PM

272 posts, read 270,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Those grainy photos aren't the older ones, they're just scanned (I'm assuming). Trust me, even say in 2006 there were plenty of people in the Cottonwood Mall, but then once news of demolition arose, stores began to pull out. But I sure miss that place, the Cottonwood Mall just had something about it. So many fond memories.

I doubt it was busy in 2006. I used to live down the street from the place and back in 00-02 I was there frequently because I had friends working in various stores. The place was so dead that my friends and I could congregate near the food court (in view of all their stores) in the middle of any weekday and we could go for hours without seeing a potential customer.

The North parking lot was always empty because the majority of the North Side and almost the entire upper level was vacant. Literally the only traffic that mall saw was 12 year old girls shopping at Claire's, a very small amount of women shopping at Meier & Frank (ZCMI) or JC Penney, and about 90% of the remaining customers headed straight for Sears, Cafe Trang, or The Training Table before promptly exiting.

I do miss the place though as the mall was much nicer looking than that former Sears pile of ruins that remained in it's place the last time I drove by in 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,080 times
Reading this thread has made me quite sad. I too was a mall rat of the Cottonwood mall in the late 80s and early 90s. My parents would take my sister and I there every weekend.

It was the best mall in Utah. It had an eclectic array of stores that didn't cater only to the wealthy.

My favorite memories:

Going upstairs to Software Etc and buying my first super Nintendo.
Staring at revealing outfits of super hero women at Night Flight comics.
My sister got her shoes sucked down the escalator seam at ZCMI so the manager bought her a new pair of LA Gear shoes.
Drinking wassle at The tinder box upstairs by Hammond toys.
Playing my favorite arcade game "X-Men" at the arcade down by the food court.
Eating a tall cup of fries from the Idaho fries.
The American burger works was also there with there powdered burger buns. Amazing.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:44 PM

30 posts, read 640,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTracy View Post
These are amazing! We have a nostalgia group on facebook called Cottonwood Mall Rats that I'm an admin and founder of. I'm sure these photos would be very much appreciated in our group. Would you be willing to join our group and share them with all of us?
Tracy Hanks
Sure, I'll give it a try, better 4 years late than never, haha. Thanks for the invite.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:50 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandell View Post
Staring at revealing outfits of super hero women at Night Flight comics.
So now I know why my teenage son had such a thing for Night Flight Comics.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:10 PM

139 posts, read 252,675 times
I remember the soccer store. You had to walk down a weird hallway to get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area