U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 327,095 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in seeing pictures of the old Cottonwood Mall. I would like to see pictures of either the interior or exterior of the building, from any time period (though I'm particularly interested in seeing older pictures). So if anyone has pictures of the mall that they'd like to share here, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:28 AM

30 posts, read 624,575 times
These pictures date from 2004 - 2007. You can generally tell the time frame by the number of vacant stores. The 2007 photos are just before the mall closed. I have more photos than this, including exterior shots - let me know if you're interested in more; the uploading takes some time . . .

Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM

Here are a few more . . . these get kind of sad - the last days of the mall. A once thriving neighborhood center, derelict and near deserted. When I was a kid this place was thriving - sadly it was left to rot by General Growth Properties as they planned the new development. I'll post more, including exterior shots, if there is any interest. Please post if you want more . . .

Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,033,246 times
Wow, even in the early ones there are so few customers.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 PM

550 posts, read 2,089,461 times
Those grainy photos aren't the older ones, they're just scanned (I'm assuming). Trust me, even say in 2006 there were plenty of people in the Cottonwood Mall, but then once news of demolition arose, stores began to pull out. But I sure miss that place, the Cottonwood Mall just had something about it. So many fond memories.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 PM

Actually the grainier photos were shot with my PDA camera, only 1.2 megapixels. I checked the dates and the grainy shots were taken in late 2005. The arcade photos (Tilt) were taken on the very last day of its operation in 2005 - it had operated continuously for 20+ years. The higher-quality photos were taken last summer before demolition began.

The mall was in decline from about 2003 or 2004 I'd say - basically ever since GGP bought the place and allowed it to decay, even as they pumped money and attention into Fashion Place. Business issues aside, I'd frankly have preferred Fashion Place to have been razed - it's a much more sterile and uninteresting mall.

If you haven't visited this related topic you might find it interesting:
Holladay's COTTONWOOD MALL:

Here are a few more from the mall's last days . . .

Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Unhappy I miss Cottonwood Mall.

These are so sad to look at. I'm appalled by what happened to Cottonwood Mall. It used to be such a great place. It just makes me so mad to think about how it was bought out by a company that didn't care about it at all, and that the building is gone now and we can never get it back. I had so many memories at that mall; I grew up there. My mom took me shopping there every holiday when I was a kid, and as a preteen my friend and I had a tradition of going to the mall every Friday to buy a new gel pen from Parry's Office Supply. My siblings and I all had jobs at the mall at some point. Anyway, even if I didn't have so many fond memories of this place, I still hate to see a perfectly good building go to waste and get torn down like that. This whole thing is just very depressing to me.

But I still like seeing pictures of it. I like to be able to see the mall again, even if it was mostly dead in these pictures. So thanks for sharing. I would always be interested in seeing more pictures of it, if anyone would like to share. I wonder if anyone has old pictures of it, like from past decades. I would be especially thrilled to see those.

P.S. I have some pictures of the mall too, from around 2005 or 2006... still searching my old files, trying to find those.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 PM

I miss the mall too - a lot. I had a family tradition of visiting every Saturday morning with my parents and brother ever since I was about five years old (1970 or so) until I was in college. Even as an adult I probably visited at least once a week while I lived in Salt Lake. I agree - the photos are very sad - so many memories gone. That's why I took them - to preserve at least some memory. Funny you should mention your Parry's tradition - during the mall's twilight I used to go there once a week and look for a new mechanical pencil. Silly, I guess, but such routine and tradition kept me connected to the place.

The mall always had a safe and comforting feel to it, unlike many big city malls. It was always relaxing and rejuvinating to visit, maybe because of the connection to memory for me. It's unique patchwork architecture gave it great character - especially the upper level. I suppose that has something to do with the fact it was built by joining three pre-existing buildings.

It may seem pathetic, but these places are the closest thing we have to a local "town square" and it's tragic how they're sacrificed so casually for $$$.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Default More pictures of Cottonwood Mall

I've finally uploaded some of my pictures. I'm just going to give you direct links to the Photobucket albums...

These ones are from March 2007:
cannelure/Cottonwood Mall - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These ones, which are a little more obscure and possibly not as interesting to the general public, are from March 2004:
cannelure/Cottonwood Mall/Cottonwood Mall 2004 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I think that's all I've got. If anyone else ever discovers some old pictures they have of the mall, please upload them! Thank you.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannelure View Post
I've finally uploaded some of my pictures. I'm just going to give you direct links to the Photobucket albums...

These ones are from March 2007:
cannelure/Cottonwood Mall - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These ones, which are a little more obscure and possibly not as interesting to the general public, are from March 2004:
cannelure/Cottonwood Mall/Cottonwood Mall 2004 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I think that's all I've got. If anyone else ever discovers some old pictures they have of the mall, please upload them! Thank you.
These are great - thanks for sharing. We seem to be of the same mind - shooting pix of the place during it's final days for posterity's sake - was this what motivated you? I like how you shot some of the more obscure nooks and crannies in the place. Also, you were correct about the Regis Hair Salon location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area