Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM

228 posts, read 737,759 times

Advertisements

Looking for a great deal on a Foreclosure in Salt Lake City area. Anyone found any are they even really out there? It seems that Utah has a strong market compared to most US Cities. I have seen many homes for sale but it seems to be hard to find a killer deal on anything out there these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,366,752 times
I have heard a few news reports that the housing downturn is impacting Utah now. I see advertisements for foreclosures all the time.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 PM

494 posts, read 1,889,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I have heard a few news reports that the housing downturn is impacting Utah now. I see advertisements for foreclosures all the time.
The market is beginning to soften - homes are sitting on the market longer & people are lowering their asking prices. It's definitely not a "crash" like many other parts of the USA, and prices are still holding up in the desirable areas.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 AM

KWM03160 I have to agree with you. I think if you hae liquid income and can afford an investment property and providing you can get it in a very desirable location you might be able to find a good deal in Utah. However looking at the short sale side of things the best deals seem to be in homes above $400K however I do not think too many banks are willing to do emergency liquidation type sales out here in comparison to Las Vegas, or other cities more distressed.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM

930 posts, read 2,415,839 times
I just found a single family residence foreclosure in a Salt Lake Suburb that is 150k less than the owner purchased it for and about 40% below market value based on my calculations. It is located at 4426 North ....oh wait. Rather than tell you about it I am going to go buy it myself.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
I just found a single family residence foreclosure in a Salt Lake Suburb that is 150k less than the owner purchased it for and about 40% below market value based on my calculations. It is located at 4426 North ....oh wait. Rather than tell you about it I am going to go buy it myself.

4426N Sounds like North Salt Lake isn't that near the refinery? At 40% below market value =??? Why would anyone care what the previous owner paid? What is important is what is the house really worth what are the recent sold comparables and location.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,878,340 times
I hope it keeps falling so I can finally get one of my own. I was gone for a few years, come back with plans to get a new house - and find that new homes are going for 350k or more!?!??! And there's so many of them! Development after development of such expensive homes. Even townhomes of all things are going for 200k+! It always seemed to me that Utah paid quite low salaries. How in the world are people able to afford these things - in the Utah job market? /boggle

Old 07-06-2008, 02:27 PM

494 posts, read 1,889,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I hope it keeps falling so I can finally get one of my own. I was gone for a few years, come back with plans to get a new house - and find that new homes are going for 350k or more!?!??! And there's so many of them! Development after development of such expensive homes. Even townhomes of all things are going for 200k+! It always seemed to me that Utah paid quite low salaries. How in the world are people able to afford these things - in the Utah job market? /boggle
2-wage earning households and (sometimes) "creative" financing.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

These are my sentiments exactly. I have been looking to purchase a new/pre-owned home for the last three years. I gave up because the market was way over valued and I had the same thoughts as per how can people in Utah afford these homes when the average family only makes about $50K per year combined. I argued with realtors stating the market needs a huge correction and that we would see a lot of foreclosures because people would come out of the ether and realize they are either upside down in their homes and or can not afford the house payment I am hoping to build a new home because I feel pre-owned homes are just way over priced. Why would anyone want an old house that cost as much as a new one? Hopefully the market will continue to get worse and with inflation in all other segments I feel that realestate will come down so people can afford both home, car, food and gas.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Really old homes (pre-1950) have charm, character, and sturdy building techniques that today's mass-produced housing lacks. Ever drive down one of those streets where you had to look at the address to be sure you were at your house, not your neighbor's? Older housing will always hold its value over the new schlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area