U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 13,944 times

Advertisements

My family (husband, 3 year old son, twins due in November, and I) are possibly being relocated to SLC from Dallas, where I have lived all my life.

We are looking for an area with young families, but where we will feel comfortable and among peers. We attend a fairly liberal Baptist church here in Dallas (yes, they do exist...you just have to look hard!).

Can anyone recommend some good spots to look? My husband is there this week and can possibly do some driving around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 PM

494 posts, read 1,750,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmom2 View Post
My family (husband, 3 year old son, twins due in November, and I) are possibly being relocated to SLC from Dallas, where I have lived all my life.

We are looking for an area with young families, but where we will feel comfortable and among peers. We attend a fairly liberal Baptist church here in Dallas (yes, they do exist...you just have to look hard!).

Can anyone recommend some good spots to look? My husband is there this week and can possibly do some driving around.
I would recommend Daybreak in South Jordan (11400 South Bangerter). The Avenues and Sugar House are also good bets.

The further south you go in Salt Lake County (in general), the more conservative and Mormon it becomes. Daybreak seems to be the exception, however, as it has a diverse, open group of residents.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with finding a Baptist church.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,137,249 times
First congratulations on the twins. Okay we will be here 2 years in December, we are non LDS (has not evan come up) people actually stop and help you here. You should not have a huge problem finding a Baptist church in Salt Lake (I did a google search and it looks like there are a ton) Honestly that is the only problem we had out here is finding a church it is a bit harder to find a non LDS church in Utah county (where we live) You will like Utah its very family orintated and (just had a baby a month ago) the maternity care out here is beyond wonderfull they take good care of the mommies and babbies. Good luck and blessings Michelle

Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 83,691 times
Default Relocated yet?

Out here where I live (right on the edge of Riverton/Herriman) you can't throw a rock without hitting a house with young kids. So this would probably be a great area. Also there is a mix of LDS and Non-LDS and I think there is a great Baptist church within minutes of here. (One of the members handled our close on our basement finishing loan). It's the South Valley Baptist church - South Valley Baptist Church - Home Page - and there is another Baptist church right up the street - Harvest Valley Baptist Church - Riverton, Utah - Local, Independent & Fundamental

I have an almost three year old - and if you move up here feel free to contact. I'm not Baptist, or LDS. I grew up in community church.

There are a lot of great houses in the Herriman, Riverton, Draper, Bluffdale, South Jordan area that you should look at. I wouldn't recommend Daybreak only because the home owners association fees have no cap on them. So you could be paying an extra $200 on top of your house payment as they continue to build.

Best of luck

PS - I helped my brother raise his twins. You are going to have SO MUCH FUN with them. Congrats!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:16 PM

273 posts, read 1,173,593 times
I live in Daybreak and pay $43 a month which includes access to all the amenities including the health club, swimming pool, and the boats on the lake...for my whole family. Excluding Daybreak based on HOA fees is crazy. Many communities have HOA fees.

Like others posted, Daybreak is very diverse and there are a couple of Baptist churches within easy driving distance. There may be a huge population of LDS in the south valley (soon home to three LDS temples--gotta be some kind of record), but there is also a huge population of inactives and nons. And there are even two liquor stores now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area