U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,004 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am moving to SLC and read somewhere that the bars close at 1 am!!!!
I'm from Chicago where the bars stay open until 3 am!!!!!! Say it ain't so, say it ain't so......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM

702 posts, read 1,861,637 times
Well I know certain restaurants close at 10 around here. Some of the bars in certain counties in Maryland used to close at 1. I think the bars bars (around here) are something u have to pay a membership to get into.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM

19,864 posts, read 60,217,759 times
You are in for a culture shock. Bars aren't the only thing around here with (to you) strange hours. Many restaurants, other than chains, are closed on Sundays, as are many other types of stores. I am used to the bare-flesh-hanging-out look of New Orleans but I rarely see that here (and TG as much of that flesh was not something I wanted to see). I haven't seen a muscle shirt in a long time (not talking parks here, just stores, on the streets, etc). Daisey dukes are not popular. Women don't wear tons of make-up nor tons of jewelry. This is the most red state of the red states!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM

2,465 posts, read 6,314,219 times
Not tons of jewelry, but rocks on their rings the size of Mt. St. Helen!!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Yep Ive seen ginorormous diamonds..and I also noticed alot of young people have kids..I feel old have a 6 yr old at 37 around here..lol..and in my neighborhood all the cars are high dollar

Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM

YEP. I am almost 37 and have an 8 year old, but man, I see 24 or 25 year olds with several young kids. It would have put me over the edge to have that many young kids that young myself.
I am NOT knocking the people that do. My mom started having kids young (and we are not LDS), but personally, I never could have done it.
I have found myself wondering how the young couples could afford the expensive house, expensive car, with a few young kids and the mom stays home. What do they know that I don't??

Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Who knows...But u have to remember u being the same age as me, our parents had kids at a young age. I swear I saw this girl at the mall the other day, couldn't be older than 23, and had 4 kids..geesh....and the cars and stuff around here..lordy....Im not lds either but I do know lds members give a certain percentage of their paychecks to the church....I dont get that either but who am i to judge

Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM

I am careful when I see an older girl out with younger kids to assume that she is their mom. I am the oldest in my family and my mom had my last brother when I was 15. When he was 1 or 2, I would hold him for my mom when she had to do something (try on clothes, run to retrieve a forgotten item, ect). SO many people assumed that he was my son, that I promised myself that I would never assume that of anyone else. With the large families in Utah, it is quite possible that she could have been an older sister, or even a nanny...
The young women that I spoke about in my previous posts actually lived in my neighborhood, so I KNEW, without a doubt, that they are the moms.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,217,759 times
Very old joke here: Who is the most likely woman to be pregnant at a Utah wedding? The bride's mother!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM

I have heard that one! LOL! I have had two sisters and a brother get married here, and LUCKILY, that didn't apply to my mom then! *wink*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area