Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 11,782 times

Advertisements

Good morning. This is my first post here. My husband has just been offered his first teaching position for Jordan School District... (yeah!). I've read quite a bit about the Sandy area (where his school will be) but what I would LOVE to hear are people's opinions and experiences. This will be a big move for me away from my family and life-long friends. That being said, I am very adventurous and independant (but still I fret...).

A little about us... We're both 34, nuclear family, educated and employed.
Considering he's a teacher and I work FT, our total income looks about average (I've read 75K is average family income). I hope to spend less than $1200/month on rent for the first year. Is this reasonable for a 3 bedroom townhome/house?

We have 3 children ages 9, 12, 14. School district scores/reviews aren't that important for consideration. My oldest daughter is on a hip-hop dance team here, is it feasible to think she can continue with this activity? Are there any childrens' theatres or acting groups?

We're not religious at all but wouldn't mind going to church a couple times per year, we're fairly open minded and find many religions to be interesting. I belly-dance, practice yoga and tend to be "spiritual" in nature (don't sterotype now, I'm a business professional and look normal). Am I in for a major culture shock? We do love the outdoors so I am so excited about all the activities we can do.

I've read so many bad things about the mormons (I was raised strictly pentecostal) but I can't imagine I would dislike that aspect at all. People are the same throughout the world. Inconvenient liquor laws won't bother me either.

Any advice for me? Neighborhoods to avoid? Places to consider or visit. Recommendations...

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,954,138 times
Hey there! Welcome to Utah. I think you should be fine finding a place for rent right around what you are looking for. If you have any pets, it does make it a bit harder. My 12 year old daughter is also on a hip hop dance team. As a matter of fact, she just made the comp team. There is dance galore out here. Especially in the Salt Lake area, you should have no trouble finding a dance studio!

Culture shock? Yeah...big time! Especially coming from a big city like Chicago. Ah, who am I kidding?! There is culture shock no matter WHERE you move from. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is there. Be ready for it.

I would look in the West Jordan area or Sandy. There is lots to do and shopping is right there, too.

I am not LDS and we moved here from Jersey 14 years ago and haven't had any problems at all. There are some times that little things will happen and will make you realize how strong the influence is here. As people, Mormons are very very nice and would bend over backwards to help someone.

Please thank your husband for teaching! It isn't an easy job at all, but so appreciated!

Last edited by kaytidid; 07-15-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 AM

702 posts, read 1,980,306 times
If they are all nice, I must be in the bad mormon attitude area..lol...again heres another situation, took my dog out another person walking their dog and all they did was glare at me and they were less then 3 ft beside me...arghhhhhh...maybe they feel the devil coming off of me or something or the tattoos i have are some kind of demon..hahahah

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM

LOL..must be! I really have never ever had any trouble whatsoever. Sorry you seem to have such a problem trying to find some nice ones.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 AM

When Im out and about people are nice, but I swear its something about this development..lol

Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Hmmmm, maybe you need a new development. Mine is super friendly.....

Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 AM

9months left on the lease...then we are out of here ...like i said before, it was a fast move and we had to find something fast and viola this one came up and this is what i have to deal with. I am a super friendly person so I guess this is what is throwing me off.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,665,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
If they are all nice, I must be in the bad mormon attitude area..lol...again heres another situation, took my dog out another person walking their dog and all they did was glare at me and they were less then 3 ft beside me...arghhhhhh...maybe they feel the devil coming off of me or something or the tattoos i have are some kind of demon..hahahah
OH honey, it's the tatoos! This is a VERY conservative area. And I don't think the LDS get tatoos, or aty least not the very faithful ones - maybe someone can enlighten me if different? So, it's an obvious sign.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM

yep they don't believe in marking up the temple..but they can bleach their hair, fake tan and wear acrylic nails..lol...and i luv my tattoos makes me the individual i am

Old 07-15-2008, 12:53 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,717,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
yep they don't believe in marking up the temple..but they can bleach their hair, fake tan and wear acrylic nails..lol...and i luv my tattoos makes me the individual i am
I'd just be careful of not judging those from whom you are feeling judgement.

Last edited by coolcats; 07-15-2008 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Said a different way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area