Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:42 PM

515 posts, read 2,325,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Millcreek Township, or better known as East Millcreek is a pretty good area. Brickyard Plaza is only about three blocks north and St. Mark's Hospital is just down the road so you will be near the mall and hospital and you can get into downtown pretty fast from that location also. I live just south of that area in Cottonwood.
Not to derail the topic, but is E. Millcreek a town or just considered an "area" of SLC? I will be living there, but I think my mailing address is actually "Salt lake City"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,440,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Not to derail the topic, but is E. Millcreek a town or just considered an "area" of SLC? I will be living there, but I think my mailing address is actually "Salt lake City"?
East Millcreek is part of Millcreek Township. Alot of people aren't aware that it is a township and simply put Salt Lake City, but it is not part of Salt Lake City and if you put East Millcreek or Millcreek Township on your mail it will still get to you. At least it has for me.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
The entire valley is in an earthquake zone. I don't have the link available, but the U has a seismic map that shows the fault lines. There is one that runs along the base of the Wasatch Mtn.s, one along 1300 East, another one near the U, and several others I wasn't concerned about. If your house is on bedrock, it will shake and roll but the ones in the flat valley will likely pancake down (think the L.A. quake a few years ago). That's why I would only consider the East Benches area. We are over-due for a big one. There are small, not felt earthquakes almost every day. See the U or the USGS sites.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 AM

30 posts, read 641,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
what your opinion on the pricing for this home? also, I heard that this community is at the earthquake zone, is this true for just this house? or is SLC pretty much in the earthquake zone? that's what the realtor told me, just wanted to get others opinion on this...many thanks!!

The primary earthquake fault (Wasatch Fault) in the SL valley runs roughly north-to-south along Highland Drive / 1100 East - so yes, this house will be fairly close the major fault. I'm no earthquake expert, but houses higher up on the benches are generally safer due to the fact there is more bedrock. The valley floor and areas nearest the faults will be more subject to liquefaction (and hence more damage). On the plus side, it appears to be a wood-frame house, which should hold up better than the older masonry construction. Having lived through the big San Francisco quake in 1990 I would much prefer something farther from the fault. For that money you can get a slightly older home farther east. If it were me I'd pass on this one and keep looking. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 PM

546 posts, read 2,206,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsevrin View Post
The primary earthquake fault (Wasatch Fault) in the SL valley runs roughly north-to-south along Highland Drive / 1100 East - so yes, this house will be fairly close the major fault. I'm no earthquake expert, but houses higher up on the benches are generally safer due to the fact there is more bedrock. The valley floor and areas nearest the faults will be more subject to liquefaction (and hence more damage). On the plus side, it appears to be a wood-frame house, which should hold up better than the older masonry construction. Having lived through the big San Francisco quake in 1990 I would much prefer something farther from the fault. For that money you can get a slightly older home farther east. If it were me I'd pass on this one and keep looking. Good luck.
how's about the homes in daybreak, south jordan, is that father away from the earthquake zone? many thanks for answering.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
how's about the homes in daybreak, south jordan, is that father away from the earthquake zone? many thanks for answering.
No, I believe they are in the area that will pancake down. Check a geological map of the area -NO PLACE in the valley is safe!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM

494 posts, read 1,899,943 times
Quote:
It's further away from the major faults, but "liquefication" may occur. Daybreak is new construction, though, and I know that building code is requires a stronger, deeper foundation to try to combat this.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 PM

546 posts, read 2,206,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No, I believe they are in the area that will pancake down. Check a geological map of the area -NO PLACE in the valley is safe!
does that mean don't buy anything and just rent?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,737,976 times
Just buy earthquake insurance. I pay $320 a year. If it was an older brick house, it would be about 4x that much. I’d much rather be in a newer stick frame house than an 80 year old brick house in an earthquake. There is a huge iron beam in my basement. I assume it is part of the code to secure the foundation for earthquakes.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM

On my way to St. Marks' Hospital, I drove into this neighborhood (E Urbandale Ln). The houses are identical, very close together, with hardly any yards. WHile the one the OP asked about is a single, the ones across the street are semi-detached. A PUD is designed to get around the zoning requirements for house size relative to lot size. My house is R1/5000, which basically means 1 house per 5000 sq ft lot. These houses are on small lots.

Yesterday's SLTrib had a real estate article, this zip code had a median house price of $259,750, down 2% from last year. I don't think this house is worth the asking price.

To the OP, what is most important to you?
house size? yard for kids/dogs/BBQs? access to transportation? resale value in the next 3-5 yrs? appearance of surrounding neighborhood? groceries/pharmacies/gas stations in easy reach? A lot of factorsd go into making a decision!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-25-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: typo and add something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area