U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM

702 posts, read 1,894,732 times

Advertisements

Ok so I am purchasing a new car..what dealerships are the best that anyone has worked with and what is the deal with Utah allowing salvaged titles????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,206,377 times
I have used Ken Garf Honda and Nate Wade Subaru with excellant results. I have heard bad things about the "guy you know" but I can't provide details as it is 2nd hand info.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks I know we went to Karl Malones and it was a pushy awful service. Im afraid to go to those small dealerships on State because of the salvaged title situation

Old 08-05-2008, 06:47 PM

494 posts, read 1,791,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Ok so I am purchasing a new car..what dealerships are the best that anyone has worked with and what is the deal with Utah allowing salvaged titles????
I had a HORRIBLE experience at Larry H. Miller Subaru. I ended up buying my car at Mark Miller Subaru. It was a good experience. I have also had a good experience at Quality Chevrolet in Tooele, Bountiful Mazda in Bountiful, Jerry Seiner Chevrolet. Had a bad experience at Legacy Auto in Orem. I have also heard horrible things about Karl Malone.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,417,954 times
I had poor experiences with Tim Dahle and Larry H. Miller. I have heard second-hand good things about Brent Brown in Utah county and Murdock.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,206,377 times
Nate Wade Subaru was not the least pushy when I bought my car. I have the name of my saleman somewhere is you want to DM me I'll find it.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,545,252 times
I HATED Tim Dahle, but Riverton Chevy wasn't too bad...as far as dealerships go anyway. I have heard great things about Quality in Tooele, but have never purchased from there.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 PM

I haven't heard one thing good about the whole Larry Miller enterprise. Karl Malones was AWFUL. I found a few at Mark Miller but I wasn't sure about that place. Thanks for the input everyone

Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM

273 posts, read 1,195,591 times
A second thumbs up for Bountiful Mazda and Nate Wade Subaru. Both are non-pushy and very easy to deal with. Both will just toss you the keys and send you on your way for a private test drive. A second BIG thumbs down for Legacy Mazda in Orem. Very, very pushy, and then VERY rude when we walked away without making a deal. LHM Honda in Murray is also your typical high-pressure foreign car dealer, not impressed. Same for D. Dahle Mazda in Murray.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM

228 posts, read 700,825 times
Coming from the Utah Auto Industry, (no longer working for car dealerships) I would have to agree that the car buying experience is not very fun. I think the key to purchasing a car being an educated consumer. If you don't know what you are doing then yes many dealerships can be pushy trying to get you to buy anything and as of much of it as possible, especially today where there is a crisis in the auto industry. When I walk into a showroom I have done the following:

1. Know what my budget is
2. Buy what I need verses what I want as priority one!
3. Never trade in a vehicle always sell it out right when all possible.
4. Never trade a car with negative equity.
5. Know what whole sale market value is (auction reports are best source)
6. Always buy used vehicles. I typically like 2 year old vehicles.
7. Know what wholesale is on the car you are purchasing.
8. Shop on line and find your inventory to demo.
9. Always let sales person understand that you are here to test drive vehicles and are not purchasing at all today unless you are completely sold on the vehicle.
10. Demo at least 3 of the same vehicles before making decision!
11. Ask the dealership if they have purchasing fees, if so let them know you don't pay fees, before starting negotiation.
12. Get a CarFax on vehicle that you want to buy.
13. Find out how old the vehicle is in the dealership inventory. Dealerships usually will sell for loss on old age units.
14. Do not pay for items you don't need like, etch, alarms, protective coatings. Late model vehicles are made very well today and do not need them.
15. Pay cash if all possible or have enough down payment so your amount financing is less then wholesale book value based on auction report of vehicle. You may have to sell it for that during an emergency.

My 15 cents good luck out there and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area