Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times

Advertisements

I don't believe that the heat is unbearable. I would take a Utah summer over a Utah winter any day!

Try living in the east for years and then tell me that this heat is unbearable. The humidity hits you like a ton of bricks. There is just no escaping it if you want to be outside. At least here, if you find some shade, that does offer some relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I don't believe that the heat is unbearable. I would take a Utah summer over a Utah winter any day!

Try living in the east for years and then tell me that this heat is unbearable. The humidity hits you like a ton of bricks. There is just no escaping it if you want to be outside. At least here, if you find some shade, that does offer some relief.
Alot of people don't realize what misery is until they go out east. Hot Hazy Humid..the triple H's

Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 AM

I totally agree, although you did forget one h word....lol

Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,669 times
Yeah well I didn't want anyones eyes to catch fire..lol

Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 21,165 times
Quote:

Amen to that! When I moved to Boston, I experienced the most unbearable winters and summers of my life. The winters seemed to last months longer than the winters in Utah, and there was far less light. It got dark by 5:00 p.m! It got so cold one year that just stepping outside sent bitter waves of ice down my spine. The summers in Boston were like living in a hot steam room. After living in Boston and Miami, I can now appreciate the balanced seasons in Utah.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
yep. utah is actually pretty moderate in heat/cold respects, and out dry atmosphere creates pretty comfortable (to most) conditions.

georgia, on the other hand... or south america, north carolina, iowa, and iraq...

Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
I would LOVE the summer olympics to be here. I would rather watch them than the winter ones.

The cold here didn't stop the winter olympics, so why should the heat stop the summer olympics??
The winter Olympics are about winter sports, some of which are done outdoors where there has to be snow, e.g. skiing, tobogganing, etc. That is why it was OK to have the winter Olympics in Utah.

The summer Olympics are about summer sports, some of which have to be done outdoors, e.g. beach volleyball, track, etc. It is preferable to do these things in a place that isn't *too* hot.

That said, I'd be happy if the summer Olympics were in Salt Lake, b/c I could go there from metro Denver and see some of the events. My kids (now grown) were gymnasts. We went out in 2002; it was great!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The winter Olympics are about winter sports, some of which are done outdoors where there has to be snow, e.g. skiing, tobogganing, etc. That is why it was OK to have the winter Olympics in Utah.

The summer Olympics are about summer sports, some of which have to be done outdoors, e.g. beach volleyball, track, etc. It is preferable to do these things in a place that isn't *too* hot.

That said, I'd be happy if the summer Olympics were in Salt Lake, b/c I could go there from metro Denver and see some of the events. My kids (now grown) were gymnasts. We went out in 2002; it was great!
My eldest was a gymnast too, and I would LOVE to see the olympics gymnastics event. I also love the swimming events. I really don't care for the winter at all, so when Utah held the winter olympics I didn't even want to venture outside to watch anything. I can understand that some events would be preferable to do when it isn't blazing hot out, but our lack of humidity has to count for something. Swimming could be held during the day...some of the other events could be held earlier in the mornings or later into the evenings when it does start to cool off some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area