Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 PM

546 posts, read 2,197,856 times

Advertisements

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/hippest.vehicles/04.scion.xb.f34.500.jpg (broken link)

I have a car like this one shown at this above link, can this car go through snow during winter here in Utah?

also, I got to say that Utah has very excellent freeways and I haven’t seen any severe traffic or any traffic at all, could be that I haven’t gone on the freeway very early in the morning, but when I was in Hawaii, the freeway would be stuck with heavy traffic even during 9-10am, worse during rush hours, every car goes 5-10 mil per hour during those times. When it’s almost time to exit the freeway in Hawaii during rush hours, it could take another 15 min. from where you see the exit sign (the sign is right at the exit) to exit the freeway completely, it’s very bad….I’m so happy that we have good freeways here in Utah! Had to share this happy feeling. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,655,279 times
I don't know what type drive the Element (that's what it is?) has. AWD? 4-wheel drive? We don't get a lot of snow piled up forever on the streets. The city (don't know about outside of SCL itself) does a really good job of plowing.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 PM

494 posts, read 1,892,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/hippest.vehicles/04.scion.xb.f34.500.jpg (broken link)

I have a car like this one shown at this above link, can this car go through snow during winter here in Utah?

also, I got to say that Utah has very excellent freeways and I haven’t seen any severe traffic or any traffic at all, could be that I haven’t gone on the freeway very early in the morning, but when I was in Hawaii, the freeway would be stuck with heavy traffic even during 9-10am, worse during rush hours, every car goes 5-10 mil per hour during those times. When it’s almost time to exit the freeway in Hawaii during rush hours, it could take another 15 min. from where you see the exit sign (the sign is right at the exit) to exit the freeway completely, it’s very bad….I’m so happy that we have good freeways here in Utah! Had to share this happy feeling. thanks.
It's hard to say. Make sure that the tires have good tread on your all-season tires. Extra "insurance" would be buying snow tires. I drove a Ford Taurus from West Jordan to the U. for 5 years while I was a student. I never had trouble, although the 2nd year I got snow tires after a couple times of "almost" getting stuck. The xb is relatively lightweight, though. As you pointed out, the snow plows are very good in Utah, and as long as you don't need to travel during early morning after a snow storm, you'll be fine.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:16 PM

199 posts, read 711,036 times
I live in Western PA on a ridge in the Allegheny Mountains and have an 8 year old Toyota Corolla. Just moved here a few years ago, and my Corolla (with all season tires) handles beautifully in the snow and ice. Had a Datsun (i.e. pre-Nissan) years ago when living here in 1970 and it also handled like a dream (had studded snow tires on it) and this was all country road driving, no "expressways" close by to where I live and go. Those Japanese cars rock and last forever. I had one that had 367,000 miles and still had the original clutch in it. Only ever replaced the alternator and brakes, tires, the usual.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 PM

550 posts, read 2,163,300 times
That's the Scion xB. It has FWD (good for traction), and it would probably do well through our roads in the winter just because our plows do good here

Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 AM

273 posts, read 1,244,848 times
2wd or 4wd doesn't matter as much as your tires. I wish more people would use snow tires. There would be a lot fewer accidents in winter. For the price of your insurance deductable (in most cases), you can buy good snow tires and avoid accidents. Remember, going through the snow is not usually the problem. The problem is getting stopped on the ice and snow before you hit something. How many drive wheels and on which axles they are make no difference in getting stopped. Neither do chains. And standard "mud and snow" tires loose a great amount of their ability to grip in temperatures below 45 degrees. Snow tires are the only sure way of making sure your car has the traction to get stopped in an emergency.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,560,226 times
Is your car silver? I was behind a silver Scion Saturday on I-15 with Hawaii plates.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,655,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP525 View Post
2wd or 4wd doesn't matter as much as your tires. I wish more people would use snow tires. There would be a lot fewer accidents in winter. For the price of your insurance deductable (in most cases), you can buy good snow tires and avoid accidents. Remember, going through the snow is not usually the problem. The problem is getting stopped on the ice and snow before you hit something. How many drive wheels and on which axles they are make no difference in getting stopped. Neither do chains. And standard "mud and snow" tires loose a great amount of their ability to grip in temperatures below 45 degrees. Snow tires are the only sure way of making sure your car has the traction to get stopped in an emergency.
I don't know if snow tires are a necessity in SLC itself. I have never had them and had no problems in 7 winters here. I do have AWD and all-weather tires and I drive reasonably for the weather, which a lot of folks don't!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:53 PM

546 posts, read 2,197,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Is your car silver? I was behind a silver Scion Saturday on I-15 with Hawaii plates.
*smile*...mines is white and we changed our license plate about a month ago to the Utah one. many people liked our rainbow aloha license plate when we they saw it...

Old 09-30-2008, 04:03 PM

550 posts, read 2,163,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
*smile*...mines is white and we changed our license plate about a month ago to the Utah one. many people liked our rainbow aloha license plate when we they saw it...
How did you get your car transported from Hawaii to Utah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area