U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,365 times

Advertisements

We've been looking to purchase a nice family home in Sugarhouse area for quite a while now. It's certainly a nervous time to buy a house now with everything going on in the economy, real estate and the nation as a whole. A majority of would-be homeowners are waiting on the sidelines right now, taking a cautious approach until the real estate market conditions would stabilize and economy starts growing again. So, I wanted to get the general sense of this forum’s members to see what’s the general feel for the local real estate market right now.

Is $280k a reasonable price for Sugarhouse area home (3b/2 baths, located around 1700 S and 1600 E)? Should we wait or buy now taking an advantage of low interest rates and decreased house prices in the local area? It’s about 60 year old with approximately 1850 sq feet, good condition home. Friends and co-workers tell us that that area is a great location where houses will continue to increase in value due to close to city downtown, recent developments in Sugarhouse, and good schools.

Would be interested to hear forum members’ opinions on the subject. Do you think the house prices in the area will go up in the near future? Is it the right time to buy right now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,441,632 times
Hs it been renovated? I'd guess not, by the price. How much will you want to do to it? How costly will the upgrades be? All factors to consider. I have a friend who has had 6 offers on her house and all fell through on financing. Very discouraging to sellers.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:29 PM

494 posts, read 1,775,767 times
I have a friend who is in Real Estate. There has been a definite uptick in short sales on the market. This will drag down sales prices. Personally, I would wait a little longer. On the other hand, if you are not going to be selling for 5-10 years, I would buy now while the inventory is high. The market will rebound, but this isn't the best market for a short-term buyer.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 AM

11,456 posts, read 13,571,325 times
Wait.

They aren't going up for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area