Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,568 times

Advertisements

hey people. how's it going? i have an idea. it's called, "ignore the troll".

see, in real life, trolls don't exist. so maybe if we ignore him, the mods will make him go away.

love y'all, even though i'm mormon and a number of you aren't. you're all still neighbors and family. happy thursday.

aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,695 times
Uh, I would...and I will.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that some people would prefer not to live with a smoker or drinker? If you do, then don't look for a place like that. There were many apts from that link you gave that actually stated they DO NOT HAVE LDS standards. That would be for the benefit of a person like yourself who likes to live your life like that.

LDS have sex..did you not learn about how babies are made??

Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

see, in real life, trolls don't exist. so maybe if we ignore him, the mods will make him go away.

love y'all, even though i'm mormon and a number of you aren't. you're all still neighbors and family. happy thursday.

aaron out.
You are right on the money as usual, Aaron. Happy Thursday to you, too.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Of course it isn't. Which is also true on the flipside, but people seem to forget that. It isn't any non LDS's business how the LDS live their lives, but many seem to take issue with it. I am failing to see how it is a problem unless one makes it that way. So many people on here never have any LDS issues at all while living in Utah, then some people always seem to end up with issue upon issue. Hmmm...one would begin to wonder why the same person/people always has a problem and others never have one at all. Not a one...
I only see it as a problem when it starts to affect a persons rights. Discrimination on the basis of religious affiliation is against the law and you are right, it goes BOTH ways. You should never NOT hire someone becaues they are LDS. I've never heard of this happenning because how would they know WHAT religion you are unless you tell them?

I do see how the LDS would know someone is NON LDS because they have Ward maps that show who is what. They have a list of members and it is easy to verify if someone is LDS.

All around I think it is illegal to do whichever direction the discrimination is going.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
The only thing I saw are ads that prefer LDS standards. That doesn't mean you MUST be LDS, that means they prefer a roommate that does not smoke/drink/party. Why is that a bad thing? If you do smoke/drink/party then you know you would not be happy living there. Saves time and effort on everyone's part. For example, here is one listed in the link that you posted: .
In a roomate situation it is a little more acceptable to have rules before you allow someone to rent. I have had some drug fiend roomates and although they really didnt bother me (paid rent- no parties) i realized that it is ok to mention what you are comfortable with before you get into the situation.

NOW if this also applies to LANDLORDS reserving the right to only allow in non drinkers -that would appear to be illegal.
IF it is LEGAL to drink in the state then it would be LEGAL to do so in your home.

They cannot regulate legal activity such as drinking in the home- because if they did, that would be invasion of privacy as to how they found out you WERE drinking in the home, but they can regulate not allowing you to possess PETS. Now if you have them sign something in the lease and then they do not FOLLOW the rules, you can evict them.
Landlords cannot just show up and start snooping through a tenants house. THey must give 24 hours notice and if the tenant says no, they cannot enter.
Rules that are reasonable like not having parties (drinking is not illegal because there is no drinking ordinance, but noise ordinances are in effect) or not having music heard by other tenants I can see being justifiable. You can evict over stuff like that. But if a new tenant is willing to sign that paper then how would you justify not allowing them tenancy?

Besides who tells their landlord the truth anyways? Aside from pets, I wouldn't tell my landlord JACK squat about my habits. But i wouldnt let them spill into the streets either. What I do behind closed doors is MY business, not his.

If i had good references and was denied tenancy and his reasons were not valid I would sue him so fast his head would spin.

Last edited by Taboo2; 01-22-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I only see it as a problem when it starts to affect a persons rights. Discrimination on the basis of religious affiliation is against the law and you are right, it goes BOTH ways. You should never NOT hire someone becaues they are LDS. I've never heard of this happenning because how would they know WHAT religion you are unless you tell them?

I do see how the LDS would know someone is NON LDS because they have Ward maps that show who is what. They have a list of members and it is easy to verify if someone is LDS.

All around I think it is illegal to do whichever direction the discrimination is going.
it's actually not nearly as easy as you think. your ward directory is usually paper, usually three months behind the current population, and is notorious for errors.

there are a few ward websites, and while still prone to the same errors, there are not generally as far behind, though they are almost always behind. further, you need a password to get on those in my experience, and can't usually get on a ward that you don't belong to.

and lastly, none of us really care all that much. oh, there might be some loon out there that is calling the bishop to see if his new roommate is really a mormon or not, but this is far from common.

the reality is that no matter where i go in utah, i meet people. out of those people that i meet, there are only a few that i can pinpoint (and even that is a guess) as either mormon or nonmormon. there are occasional giveaways, such as if they are talking about family home evening (identifies them as mormon), or saying that they hate all mormons (usually identifies as non). but normally, we don't know, and don't care.

when i say we, i don't mean to invalidate whatever personal experiences that people have. i just mean that i have a lot of experience in the church, and have never hung with a mormon crowd that did that. never.

aaron out.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,447 times
I'm sure when one says "LDS standards" they don't mean something as extreme as no caffeine. Perhaps no swearing, no drinking, stuff like that. Which I find perfectly reasonable - it's just that asking for those requirements outside of Utah is stated differently than here. Here, it's much more convenient just to say "LDS standards" because everyone would know what you're talking about

Old 01-22-2009, 06:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I left Salt Lake Friday night and am relieved to be out of there.
Me too!

Quote:
Leaving Salt Lake was an almost spiritual experience; exhilarating and even profound.
Wonderful! I'm so glad you left!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

aaron out.
I tought trolls were people who attacked other peoples post they did not like without any substance? isnt that that you're doing?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
Uh, I would...and I will.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that some people would prefer not to live with a smoker or drinker? If you do, then don't look for a place like that. There were many apts from that link you gave that actually stated they DO NOT HAVE LDS standards. That would be for the benefit of a person like yourself who likes to live your life like that.

LDS have sex..did you not learn about how babies are made??
Care to read your boy southerbelle's post? He clearly layed out what "LDS standards" included. You are a lair if you continue to associate "LDS standards" to merely "no drinking and smoking". Its wrong to ask a potential renter to conform to LDs standards when they are not LDS.

there was 20 post in 2 days requiring LDs standards to rent an apartment...

You have no recourse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area