U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 AM

2,296 posts, read 5,844,817 times

Advertisements

I left Salt Lake Friday night and am relieved to be out of there. I know a lot of people on this board think I post here just to put Salt Lake down but I don't. The area has a lot of charm and potential and I think with the addition of City Creek, the development in Sugarhouse and the extension of Trax will become an even better place to live. It wasn't the right place for me though and no matter how much effort I put in to my situation there I was never entirely happy. The weather, strange culture, "us versus" them attitudes, pollution, congestion and over development in the suburbs were more than I could deal with.

I am back in Albuquerque, New Mexico, a town that is also growing and has a lot of "problems" that people complain about. The area does not yet have a lightrail and is the third most dangerous state in the country. People here are nicer though. Yesterday at least three people greeted me; ie, either waved or said "hi". In Salt Lake it would be really unusual for anyone on a daily basis to even acknowledge me. My friend Dan came up to help with the move and he said he noticed this also; ie, the stiff attitudes and unfriendliness from customer service workers, etc. I can't live in an area where people refuse to make eye contact or say hi. That is not normal. I am happy to be back in a sunny, cheerful place.

Leaving Salt Lake was an almost spiritual experience; exhilarating and even profound.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 10-26-2008 at 12:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:43 AM

2,465 posts, read 6,317,462 times
Sorry your experience was so bad here. I have found it to be quite the contrary. However, as long as you are happy now...

Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 AM

550 posts, read 2,038,070 times
Good for you. Everyone has different experiences with Salt Lake and personally I can't imagine ever leaving but if you don't like it here, great that you moved somewhere you like; hope the move went well!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:48 AM

19,864 posts, read 60,243,336 times
Glad you're happy there. I found just the opposite here, that many more people make eye contact, etc. but maybe that's b/c of who I met. SLC isn't for everyone and you made the right decision for you!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,777,294 times
I really love it here...but I did live in another state which "everybody" loved and claimed was friendly and hospitable, where I was treated miserably and excluded...so I can relate to where you were coming from.

I know you've been wanting to get back to Albuquerque, hope it is all you are expecting. Good for you though, for tasting something else.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:49 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,149,256 times
Awesome! Good for you! I am so happy that you're where you want to be, and can be content. I wish you much happiness and sucess.
It is a different feeling when you leave SLC, or even just Utah in general. That's why DH and I go on so many week-end trips out of here. We're still hanging in here, trying to adapt, but our hearts aren't in it, and we'll be moving in about a year. Life here is too frustrating to ever really be happy.
Each person needs to find their real "home", and I'm so happy that you have found yours.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
We're still hanging in here, trying to adapt, but our hearts aren't in it...
Each person needs to find their real "home", and I'm so happy that you have found yours.
YES! Home is truly where the heart is!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 5,844,817 times
Default the snow

was really the biggest reason for the move. I was there four years and had more or less adjusted to the different, more inward and guarded temperment of the people. I am a native Texan and don't have the skills to deal with driving in snow conditions. In the winter my life would slow down to a snails pace and I would either stay home a lot or go to work and brave the cold each day, which was hard on me. I have clinical depression and could not take the inversions and lack of sunlight. Albuquerque is a challenging town in its own way; the whole time I was in Salt Lake I never felt unsafe or had to watch my back, even living downtown. Here I will have to be careful about where I live and will probably not be able to walk places at night like I did in Salt Lake. The safe culture is one of the best things about Utah.

I look forward to visiting once City Creek is built.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM

It sounds like Salt Lake is great for you a visit at a time. I have family members that suffer from depression and Utah was/is hard on them in the winter. Hell, I don't and I don't care for the winters here either.

Really, Catrinac, it is good where you are someplace that you want to be and makes you happy! Life is too short to be miserable.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,108,603 times
Godspeed and good luck, cathy. have fun soaking up some sun for me while i get pastier and pastier in the utah winter (course, i'll be having fun playing in the snow, meanwhile...).

aaron out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area