U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 20,494 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.

I need some of your help. I am relocating to SLC on 12/1/08. Already looking for a house and I know what areas I want. Thinking Taylorville Area...

My Questions.. Any help or advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Is there more than 1 Power Company I can use.. What are there names if so?

Cable/Internet.. I know about Direct TV but who is the best cable company in SLC for Cable and Internet?

I guess I want to know who am I going to need to pay bills too?

Water=?
Gas=?
Electric=?
Cable=?

Any advice on what you feel the better companies are for the above would be great.

Also on a lets say 2000 sq foot house. How much might your winter bill be for heating assuming you only heat to like 73 degrees?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:32 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,181,580 times
Taylorsville? Ummm, okay... There is one electric company, it used to be UT P&L, not sure what they call themselves these days. Actually, they are pretty good, not too many outages in my area (Sugar House).

I have comcast, which is OK but expensive. If a lot of people on your "line" or whatever it is called have HD, you will probably need an amplifier. After a year or so of service, my picture deteriorated and I had to get the amplifier-they said too many new customers on my line or whatever. My cabling is in an older area. I have TV, internetand phone service through them. The regular phone company is Qwest. There ia some other choice for outer areas for TV but someone else will have to answer for that.

I think b/c I live in SLC itself, we will have different water and maybe gas. I have gas heat in a 1921 house with plaster walls and a lot of attic insulation. I heat 2300 sq. ft. for $92/mo on the 12-mo averaging plan. I have 2 gas hot water heaters and 2 gas furnaces (one per floor) and a gas clothes dryer.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-05-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM

5,115 posts, read 15,988,333 times
I live in Taylorsville....have for 10 years.

Water company is Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District
Power company is Rocky Mountain Power
Gas company is Questar
Cable company is Comcast

I don't have internet but the phone company (Qwest) also offers internet if you don't want to use Comcast.

I HATE Comcast's website, but I love their service. I just wish their prices were lower. I have the digital preferred cable package. I've been without cable service maybe a total of 20 hours in the ten years I've lived there. Very reliable cable tv service for me.

My home is only 1500 square feet and I keep my thermostat at 70-72 when I'm home and awake; 66 while I sleep and when I'm not home. My gas bills during the winter months between December '05 and February '08 average between $85 - $ 160. Quite a range I know.

I'm an accountant and I keep a spreadsheet of all my utilities. If you want it, I can email it to you. Send me a DM with your email address if you want it. It has water, gas, and power for the past two years. There are too many unknown factors about your home and the occupants. For instance....is the basement finished? Does it even have a basement? How many people will live there? I know the quantity of people doesn't matter when you're heating a home, but most likely your water heater will be gas as well. Then you might have a gas dryer or stove.....which will also be billed on your Questar bill. Questar just reduced their rates by 5.3% effective November 1st.

Welcome to Utah.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM

2,499 posts, read 6,659,642 times
Electric is Rocky Mountain Power and the gas would be Questar gas. Your water would depend on where you actually end up living. I have a dish from Dish Network. I like them and they are less expensive than Comcast.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,062,010 times
are comcast and dish network your only options there for cable and internet? That is going to be one HARD thing to get used to for me.. We have verizon fiber optics down here in tampa and its amazing. never any outages or issues, every house has there own line so my speed will never be affected by anyone else and as of now they offer a 30/10 mbps internet speeds which is pretty un heard of with regular cable.. Everything else will make it worth the move though lol

Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,181,580 times
THere's always my un-favorite, DirecTV.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 AM

515 posts, read 2,254,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
are comcast and dish network your only options there for cable and internet? That is going to be one HARD thing to get used to for me.. We have verizon fiber optics down here in tampa and its amazing. never any outages or issues, every house has there own line so my speed will never be affected by anyone else and as of now they offer a 30/10 mbps internet speeds which is pretty un heard of with regular cable.. Everything else will make it worth the move though lol
If you want cable high speed internet you have one choice - Comcast. It's cheaper if you get the package deal so I have phone, internet and tv all through them, which with my package which includes HD and HBO, Starz, Enc. I pay like $150/month total. But the packages start at $99 for all 3 services with basic cable. Yeah, I don't believe they have Verizon Fios around here yet.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,062,010 times
wow that sucks.. I hope fios goes there.. its beyond amazing what it can do.. its cheaper too

we pay 125 a month for 10/5 internet, phone and tv (which has more channels, alot more) with dvr's also

Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 AM

222 posts, read 845,402 times
Rocky Mountain Power, Questar Gas, Taylorsville Bennion Improv Dist (Water).

We had Comcast for cable and my husband just switched to direct t.v.. We still use Comcast for our internet. We use Vonage for our phone and it has been great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area