Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,220,179 times

Advertisements

Well as you have read in my other threads, were going to be moving there next month. Well we have a mazda rx8 which, from what I hear isnt to great in the snow.

I know RWD vehicles are the worst for the snow and its also low to the ground.
My quetsion is how affective are snow tires vs regular every day tires? Down here in florida we use the same ones all year since we obviously dont have much climate change.
Do I need to invest in a set of snow tires and a set of regular ones for the summer?
When do you use chains on your tires (For what reasons)?
Where do you get chains from and how big are they? the rx8 really doesnt have alot of space between the wheel well and the tire itself so it would need to be a pretty thin chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
It might be time to invest in a new (for you) vehicle. Front wheel drives are much better in snow and rain and all wheel or 4-wheel drives are best. I've never had snow tires or chains as I don't go up the canyons in the winter. I do have AWD and it's more than sufficient in the city. Hopefully someone else can answer your questions better thn I can - what I do know is that chains are usually for the worst conditions, like going skiing and having to go up the canyons (some have posted signs about needing chains). I don't think you need them in the city, the city does an amazing job of plowing!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM

yeah when I was visiting last time in the early feb there were some crazy snow storms and in the city where we were was generally not to bad. of course they can only do so much when its falling at a heavy rate.

Unfortunatly investing in a new vehicle isnt an option as we made a bad choice buying this and are way upsidown now. Its not that big of a deal, I absolutely love the car so I will learn to deal with it. The problem is that my wife generally drives it and I really dont want her struggling in the snow. I am selling my current car down here and when we get there I plan to get another one but the problem is that Im not going to have much more then 6-7 thousand to buy something with

Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 PM

515 posts, read 2,317,309 times
Snow tires make a huge difference, so yes, if you don't have an AWD or 4WD car, you get a 2nd set and switch in the winter. I do this for my Jetta, as I am going to try to get through the winter here with it (I DO drive up into the mountains all winter!) and hopefully next summer get an SUV. As for chains, you won't need them in the city - they are for driving in snow covered roads or heavy snow, and you don't go more than 20 mph with them. You can get cable chains which work with smaller wheel wells. I am considering investing in a set for emergencies, but again, you won't have to worry about this unless you venture into the mountains in the winter.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,542,557 times
I would definitely recommend snow tires for a rear wheel drive car. Back in '87, I had a Datsun 200 SX that was rear wheel drive. I HATED driving that car in the winter. I got studded snow tires and it helped a little. Since I sold that car, I've made sure I only buy front wheel drive cars now. My Saturn coupes (both front wheel drive cars) did very well in the snow. I just bought a Chevy Cobalt in March. Last night was my first time driving on icy roads. I had to use my ABS because I (and the Honda Pilot in front of me) hit a patch of ice driving down an overpass. Both of us were able to avoid collision with the other cars at the red light and each other. It was weird to experience that pulsation of the anti-lock brakes but I'm SOOOOO glad my car had them and they worked very well.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:56 PM

Yeah, last winter I stupidly came to a short stop to talk to a neighbor, on an icy street. My AWD Subaru stopped perfectly with no ABS help needed. I loooove my Outback wagon.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM

that sucks.. abs isnt an issue, the car is safe.. its got the abs, traction controll and like 8 airbags but i really rather avoid wreck all together.. guess its winter tires for me.. i was looking online and there so expensive.. are they cheaper in person? finding like 200 a piece online, that sucks

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM

I dont think AWD helps you stop any faster lol.. I would for sure love it, but usually its expensive/

Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I dont think AWD helps you stop any faster lol.. I would for sure love it, but usually its expensive/
You don't stop faster, yopu stop straighter, that is, no fishtailing or slidding.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,227,328 times
You will more than likely be able to find a 4WD, used, for less than 5K out here. We just bought my daughter one and we only paid 4500.00 it's and '02 Jeep grand cherokee.
For a rear wheel drive vehicle, you will need snow tires, but you can get them a lot cheaper than 200.00 each....personally I use the all-terrains on my vehicles, year 'round, but they're also all 4WD's too.
DM me if you want me to point you in a few specific directions as to used cars, and reasonable priced tires.
--yes, keeping in mind that the price of tires has gone up with this whole oil thing lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area