U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM

7 posts, read 25,248 times

Advertisements

Family coming to Utah frm Colorado! DH started his new job last week at a company near the airport and is busily looking at areas where we can househunt. ANY advice would be so appreciated, since I've never been to Utah. Our dreamlist for housing since our price range is no higher than 600K:

-great schools for our 9 & 10 year olds
-kids rec activities
-Christian churches in the area, or driving distance (we are not LDS)
-good network of doctors, dentists, pediatricians, vets, etc.
-safe neighborhoods
-Starbucks

We've been looking in the Holladay/Cottonwood area, but have now expanded our search south to include Draper & Sandy. Any advice/opinions, good and bad, would be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:53 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,545,916 times
Are you near the airport to the north, or to the west? Tooele county has some beautiful homes that you would be able to purchase with that budget. There is acreage in Lakepoint and Erda and Stansbury is a great community with kids. It does not have a Starbucks, but there is a pretty good coffee shop in Tooele, I have heard. I don't drink it, so I am going on word of mouth. That would take about 30 minutes for him to get to work if he is around west of the airport. It is more of a rural/suburban feel.

If you are more north, try Davis County. North Salt Lake is very nice with some beautiful communities and lots of children. It is very suburban and Davis County has some of the better schools in the state.

Sandy and Draper is very family oriented also. I am sure you can find all you are looking for in that area. Draper has a very good private school (Catholic) if you wanted to go that route.

Wherever you settle, there are bound to be some Christian churches within driving distance and rec activities for your kids. Utah is really all about the kids. Generally, you really don't have to worry too much about which neighborhoods are safe neighborhoods...for the most part, they are all pretty safe.

Welcome to Utah. Hope you enjoy it here. I certainly do.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:54 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,211,834 times
You will have a lot of choices in that price range. You can consider the Avenues and the Harvard-Yale area in the city itself. Many non_LDS people with money send their kids to private schools, like Rowland Hall-St. Marks' or the Cathedral School of the Madeline for girls. East High which serves the areas is considered good. And of course, you would be close to downtown and the 9th and 9th area.

The further out in the valley you go, the less diverse it is, unless you go to Daybreak in S. Jordan. That's pretty far out to me but then, I live in Sugar House and anything south of 3300 South is far to me!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-15-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-16-2008, 01:47 PM

273 posts, read 1,195,658 times
You might consider Daybreak, although it is about 15 miles from the airport. We also are non-LDS and came from Colorado and we love it here. It is a new urban community and is similar to but much bigger than the Stapleton neighborhood in Denver, if you are familiar with that. It isn't for everyone but it is very diverse and friendly. There are several small churches around with one non-denominational church holding services in the community center. The developer is also building a multi-purpose church building in the next phase to house the various non-LDS churches around. There is a brand new Catholic school that just opened about a mile away. The local public schools are very good, but a little crowded as most in Utah are. There is also a brand new hospital being built in Riverton, about 2 miles down the road. We have found our doctors, dentists, etc. within a few miles radius of Daybreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area